AJ37 Viggen "Attackviggen"

Part 2

I prepared two longer lead wires and glued them together and added some cable holders from tamyia tape.

IMG_0376_zps90a9c400.jpg

And glued the lengths to the struts and connected them to where the other two lead wires that came from the rear of the wheel support.

IMG_0378_zps345284e1.jpg

The nose gear got some details as well...

IMG_0379_zpsa4c57e4a.jpg

IMG_0380_zps0ef1a734.jpg

Then I gled on the inner wheel bay doors, they are not to be fully closed but left ajar like so :D

IMG_0381_zpse83e7c72.jpg

Time to remove the rudders and stuff to detail them some further, it was easier to have them temporarily attached to the wings and foreplanes during painting but now it´s time to add some details and set them in the correct positions afterwards.

IMG_0382_zps0504c7ab.jpg

Glued the MLGs in place just for the heck of it...

IMG_0384_zps300fcf24.jpg

And the nose wheel is on and the AJ is standing on it´s own for the first time. Some adjustmentas are to be made tho..the rear wheels aren´t touching ground :P But since the struts are made of white metal some well planned force in the right spot might clear that :D

IMG_0385_zps1b5236f4.jpg

There... things are moving along again :D

Cheers!

Nice Janne! You are nailing it again! Your landing gears are great, but perhaps you would like to add some further detail in the form of an actuator and a little box that you have omitted. Look at this photo:

http://www.swordmodels.cz/Walkarounds/Viggen/IMG_0142.JPG

BTW, don,t know if you are aware of this great walkaround:

http://www.swordmodels.cz/Walkarounds/Viggen/index.html.

Wish you luck with the problem of the wheels. I have been having lot of troubles having all the six wheels touching the ground on my previous Viggens. It,s f*****g difficult when you have more than three wheels...

Keep that updates going!

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Nice Janne! You are nailing it again! Your landing gears are great, but perhaps you would like to add some further detail in the form of an actuator and a little box that you have omitted. Look at this photo:

http://www.swordmodels.cz/Walkarounds/Viggen/IMG_0142.JPG

BTW, don,t know if you are aware of this great walkaround:

http://www.swordmodels.cz/Walkarounds/Viggen/index.html.

Wish you luck with the problem of the wheels. I have been having lot of troubles having all the six wheels touching the ground on my previous Viggens. It,s f*****g difficult when you have more than three wheels...

Keep that updates going!

Juan

Oh Juan, I ain´t done with them wheelies yet :P

I can´t add those things until I have the bay door in place and I can´t add that until I´ve weathered it and I´m not at the weathering stage yet :D

Got other stuff to do first but be patient my friend I´ll get there :D

Cheers!

Ah, another upadate...been productive today actually :D

Lots of pics so it´ll be another two part update....

I begun with a cosmetic issue, well a big blunder on my part. You see I botched the nose, I was to busy joining the fuselage hals I forgot that I had to adjust some for making the nose tilt at the right angle.

The Viggen nose is pointed downwards but my nose is currently pointing straight....well I gotta do something because it´s really bothering me and it´s an affront to humankind!

The only way to do it was to take off the nose and realign! And I had to di it without damaging the decals or do too much harmt to the paintjob either!

I taped on both sides of the break point for protection....

IMG_0387_zpscab7835d.jpg

And with a knife I carefully traced the seam until the nose came off.

IMG_0388_zpsa71012a6.jpg

This is the old seam and it´s way to straight...

IMG_0389_zpsd539fda7.jpg

I marked the new line with tamyia tape....you notice the angle?

IMG_0390_zps55590e23.jpg

And then I brought fourth The Dremel!

IMG_0391_zpsf9c0ebc3.jpg

Sanded along the tape and then used a file for the finishing touches, when I was happy with it I glued the nose back on! And the ina move the entire feel and profile of the model changed! I have to take care of the little gap in a nice way before it´s all done but I´m happy with the result.

IMG_0392_zps908ffa86.jpg

Filled with positive energy efter the nosejob I begun with the flaps.

First I drilled a few set of holes ( 3x 0.8mm, 2x 0.6mm and 3x 0.5mm)in the wing base.

IMG_0393_zps4f8cc9c5.jpg

Then I slanted the hinges on the flaps...

IMG_0394_zps204c719b.jpg

End of part 1

Part 2

and then I drew nothces with a razor saw....

IMG_0395_zpsdc671bd0.jpg

and corrsponding notches at the rear of the wing....

IMG_0396_zps72faad60.jpg

then I cut 12 little squares from thin plasticard....

IMG_0398_zpse17dfaea.jpg

And glued the squares into the notches made in the flaps....

IMG_0399_zps41ca877f.jpg

Checked so they matched the notches in the wing....

IMG_0400_zpsb546edca.jpg

Then I shaped the squares to hinges....

IMG_0401_zps301e4954.jpg

Painted the silver and glued the flaps into place as well as the ailerons, note that the flaps are dropped about 7 degrees relative to the ailerons.

IMG_0402_zps955a1cd7.jpg

Done!

IMG_0403_zps07f168de.jpg

I then glued on the flaps on the foreplanes, they should point towards the base of the main wing.

IMG_0404_zps1a7b212d.jpg

And that´s todays progress :D

IMG_0405_zps353c8653.jpg

Now only the rest remains :P

Cheers!

Oh Juan, I ain´t done with them wheelies yet :P/>

I can´t add those things until I have the bay door in place and I can´t add that until I´ve weathered it and I´m not at the weathering stage yet :D/>

Got other stuff to do first but be patient my friend I´ll get there :D/>

Cheers!

OK,ok. I will be watching you closely... <_<

Juan

Nice save on the nose. Don't feel bad. I did the same thing with the resin nose on my F-14A Tomcat. When I glued it on I noticed that it was rotated a little and not straight. Had to take it off and reglue it.

My heart stopped for a moment when I saw the nose job..! But you're right! It looks perfect now.

I'm amazed at the colors. They are spot on! Of course a Viggen could have almost any shade of green due to fading, but that looks just like an active service bird. Great job!

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:trolls:

My heart stopped for a moment when I saw the nose job..! But you're right! It looks perfect now.

I'm amazed at the colors. They are spot on! Of course a Viggen could have almost any shade of green due to fading, but that looks just like an active service bird. Great job!

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:trolls:/>

Thanx Jörgen :D

Well I can´t take credit for the colors, a guy called Björn Eriksson from IPMS Uppsala researched those colors :D

Wheels on my Vigen maybe it will be a little helpful :rolleyes:/>/>/>/> more here >>> http://kitmaniac.com/forum/index.php?/topic/763-ja-37-viggen-swedish-af/

19268-o.jpg19266-o.jpg19263-o.jpg

Thanx Marek :D

Good looking Viggen ya got there :D

The nose job part two :P

I had to get rid of the seam and when push came to shove all I had was tamyia putty...so I puttied it up!

IMG_0407_zps7ff988de.jpg

Tried to protect the decals with a piece of tape with the almost all the glue rubbed off....and get on with sanding.

IMG_0408_zps57248186.jpg

Well it didn´t help, I lost the "one", no worries tho I have spares just as long as I don´t lose the "five" because that I don´t have in my spare decal box!

IMG_0409_zps7bedaa73.jpg

Time to paint the nose again...yet another piece of tape for protection and masking off the nose...

IMG_0410_zpsbc65515a.jpg

I primed and then got on with painting the cammo again...and when I removed the tape I ripped the "Five"!! darn to heck!!! well I have no spares maybe I can better with paint? well I won´t decide this instant what to do better to just get o with the nose.

IMG_0411_zpsfcd75785.jpg

Masked and repainted the nosecone...

IMG_0413_zps6e9a6538.jpg

With a little paint on the pitot tube I call this nose job a wrap!

IMG_0414_zps3bc1c447.jpg

Cheers!

While awaiting my No 5 to arrive in the mail I got on with the small stuff.

These are things that will be glued in place after the model has been weathered properly and wases and stuff...final assembly in short :D

Here is the RAT and the hatch for it, I found that the protection sheet from dymo tape was pefect for making the small propeller blades.

IMG_0419_zps3e23938e.jpg

Like so....

IMG_0423_zps12850f4b.jpg

Here are the airbrakes with actuators....

IMG_0424_zpsb8e28ea2.jpg

Detail painting of the belly brakes.

IMG_0431_zps666d4530.jpg

Position lights..s simply made from clear sprue, sanded and painted clear red.

IMG_0425_zps56412080.jpg

A very mysterious piece of stretched clear sprue!

IMG_0427_zpsb83cff34.jpg

Vortexgenerators for the foreplanes and the lil´ data link antennae.

IMG_0428_zpsdcbb3a11.jpg

Underwing antennae

IMG_0432_zpsafd3044b.jpg

Angle of attack probe and... well some probe of a sort that goes onto the fuselage under the right foreplane.

IMG_0433_zps553444cf.jpg

ANd here are the results from the stretched clear sprue... small lights or reflectors that goes on to the rear of the main wing and on both sides of the exhaust.

IMG_0430_zps616e3fb4.jpg

Tomorrow the missing "5" should arrive and then it´s weathering time!!

Cheers!

Angle of attack probe and... well some probe of a sort that goes onto the fuselage under the right foreplane.

IMG_0433_zps553444cf.jpg

That unknown probe looks to me like a total temp probe, used as a part of true airspeed calculation.

It's always the fiddly stuff that holds you up on these kinds of builds :)