Good Karma Early Panther G

Hello.

I recently vowed to build down my stash. No buying, just building. Then I came across a posting on another forum by Adam O'Hara. He had bought a couple of Dragon's Tank Crew and Early Panther G with Zimmerit kits. He just wanted the crew figures and offered up the kits free to a good home. Whats a person to do?

01boxtop.jpg

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRA7363

Here is my attempt to give one of them a good home.

I want to depict a vehicle from the First Battalion of Panzer Regiment 3, 2nd Panzer Division in Normandy in 1944.

I chose to model a vehicle built in April of 1944. If you're into the details, that means

No Pilze sockets

No handle on rear turret hatch

No debris guard over gap behind the mantlet

Zimmerit

Camouflage painting done at the unit

No sheet metal guards covering the exhaust pipes

Cast armoured exhaust port covers

No rain guard over driver’s periscope

11a.jpg

I just happen to have a metal barrel from Aber. It wasn't a drop-fit but it looks good once mounted.

11e.jpg

I've got a couple of gaps to contend with which is somewhat unusual for Dragon Armour kits.

21.jpg

22d.jpg

Ta for now, Michael in Abbotsford.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/Mi...2072nd%20scale/

Edited by Michael Hatch

Hello everyone.

So, on go the tracks.... sort of.

31.jpg

These are Dragon's DS100 tracks. This the first time I've used DS100 tracks. I like the look of them. Nicely detailed, flexible and regular glue works well with them.

32a.jpg

When properly glued down, they have the right amount of sag that "dead tracks" have. (NB Properly tensioned Panther tracks should just lightly rest on the second set of road wheels.)

38a.jpg

Too bad they are not long enough..

Did some research on the Internet looking for someone who has actually built the kit. One person just used the side skirts to cover the gap which was positioned on the top of the road wheels. Another person tied a small weight to one end of each track and hung them up for a week or so. I hadn't planned on mounting the side skirts but now I am....

36a.jpg

I tried to gently stretch this track. It helped but not enough. It would only be just long enough. It was completely distorted around the rear idler and somewhat less around the drive sprocket. I was busy trying to figure out how I could glue it with it so taut when I noticed that it was getting ready to break in a couple of different places. So I will cover this gap with side skirts too.

Ta for now, Michael in Abbotsford.

PS More pictures at

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/Mi...2072nd%20scale/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...