The Unofficial Odyssey Dawn Group Build

The chatroom guys and I have been tossing this idea around for a couple days now. With all the recent events and the plethora of jets buzzing around the skies of Libya, we thought it'd make a cool mini-group build opportunity.

So who's in?

The rules are simple - build something taking part in operations in Libya. There's alot to choose from, something for everyone! :banana:

Post up what you're gonna make (kit/scale/aftermarket/decals/etc) and then get started! I'll be adding your builds to a running tally in this post, I'll start off:

Anthony Wan:

Revell 1/48 Dassault Rafale B

Wolfpack Dassault Rafale B Standard F2 Update Set

Skyraider Models Wheel Update

Skyraider Models Rafale B/C Decals

If I have time, I might do a Revell 1/48 F-15E OOB for 91-0304 that crashed.

Ian Buick:

Revell 72nd Typhoon, RAF (Markings TBA)

Remington Box:

Libyan Mirage (Defection Plane)

PlasticWeapons:

F-16 or Rafale M or maybe a Mirage 2000

:wave:

Fire away guys,

-Anthony

Edited by AnthonyWan

I like the sound of this, I think I`m in.

It would be a Revell 72nd Typhoon, RAF, maybe 6 Sqn, maybe 11 Sqn, (or maybe 3 Sqn......erm...or 29 Sqn..erm...).

If I could find which 6 Sqn jet is involved it would be that one....and maybe A.N. Other.

Cheers, Ian :wave:

I'd love to build 1/72 Rafale C (Navy is not involved, right?). But I'd love to put some AASM on its pylons but I don't anyone makes them? Were Apache missiles used in the conflict?

I just read that French Navy Rafale Ms are now involved in Ops as well ...

Gregg

I'd love to build 1/72 Rafale C (Navy is not involved, right?). But I'd love to put some AASM on its pylons but I don't anyone makes them? Were Apache missiles used in the conflict?

Dunno about the missiles Seb, but the navy is involved. Carrier Charles De Gaulle is on the way and probably there now. :D

Cheers, Ian

Might be useful to list the OOB

I`ll start (by no means defineative)

Please cut `n` paste to final list..........

Brits

Tornado GR.4

Typhoon FGR.4

VC.10

Tristar

E-3D Sentry

Sentinel

Nimrod R.1

Hercules C.130

Lynx

HMS Ocean on way "with helicopters".

For what its worth though, If you want to build a model depicting an aircraft or vehicle involved in the Libyan conflict on your own, that's one thing, I just think a GB right now is kind of in poor taste. Its an actuive war, innocent people are dying, war crimes are being commited probably even as I write this.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah
For what its worth though, If you want to build a model depicting an aircraft or vehicle involved in the Libyan conflict on your own, that's one thing, I just think a GB right now is kind of in poor taste. Its an actuive war, innocent people are dying, war crimes are being commited probably even as I write this.

That is the same argument that could and has been applied to active duty military aircraft at anytime, or historical aircraft that flattened cities.

This was not a political move, quite the opposite.

It`s a pity this thread has gone this way, and I don`t know where someone draws the line at modelling military equipment that has been involved in killing as this makes up most of the ARC`s gallery, including kit used in current ops in Afghanistan, Iraq, Arab/Israeli etc.

Do we remove all the Strike Eagle, Viper, and Warthog builds because of the ongoing war on terror which is also active and people are dying?

Offence has been taken, and this I am CERTAIN, was not Anthony`s or anyone elses intention.

We were going to build models, the offensive comments about Libya appeared elsewhere on ARC. I think that is a point worth stressing.

Sorry, guys.

But I`m done with this.

Cheers, Ian

Kit/Accessories? B)

As far as anyone knows, are any A-10s involved yet? I have 10-15 A-10 kits, I might as well get started on one of them

Does the Libyan Mirage that defected to Malta count? If so, that is what I will build.

Kit/Accessories? B)

In. F-16 or Rafale M or maybe a Mirage 2000.

Decided yet? :wub:

:woo:

-Awan

Sounds like a great group build.

Is there any prospect of a 1/48 Odyssey Dawn decal sheet or two downstream?

So many aircraft could be covered: not least Tornado, Typhoon, Rafale.

Maybe aftermarket decals will come later?

Too early but like previous decals from Desert Storm/Shield and OEF/OIF, they'll show up much later. For now, you'd probably have to mix and match decals, or custom make any markings to match photos shown online and on TV.

Coming less than a week since the air war kicked off, I'm going to decline. However, after some time I'm all for it. Still want to do a F-111 that was used in the 80's over Libya and will for sure be building the SR-71 that flew over afterwards as well.