Have you ever converted a toy or something else to practice modelling skills?

I found this cheap resin bust at a craft fair for $5.00 so I thought I would paint it up and see what it looked like. It is about 1:4 scale. I was pretty happy with the outcome.

100_4940.jpg

The next two items were toys that I found at a yardsale for $1.00 each. Neither of these items were in any kind of package and I have no idea what the first one is.

I made up a quick base to pose it in flight (my attempt at a low level flight over tree's). All the underwing stuff is from my parts box(I know its not a realistic loadout, I just used all the extra parts that I had). I used an extra 1:48 pilot, seat and console to dress up the cockpit. I added all sorts of greeblies to the exterior to try and hide the toylike nature of the toy. Decals were either homemade or extras from other kits. I attempted a homemade prop blur but it didn't come out that great.

100_4989.jpg

100_4997.jpg

100_5006.jpg

This one is a Spawn Vandilizer II Action figure that I repainted and made a custom base for.

This is what it originally looked like

series27_vandalizer2_photo_03_dp.jpg

and after my conversion.

100_4976.jpg

I know its not really modelling to some but it was pretty fun and I am happy with the outcome.

I was just wondering if anyone here had ever done anything like this. It's a cheap way to practice airbrushing and other skill without messing up an expensive kit, and it's fun.

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think (Good or bad).

Els

Edited by Els
  • 6 months later...

Thanks Holmes,

These were fun. I might have to hit some more yard sales to see if I can pick up some new material. Since there is no expectations about how they are supposed to turn out, there are no worries.

Els