So my church is setting up for its spring second hand sale. Its mostly clothes, knick knacks, and....junk. But to my surprise I found this Kit. My eyes widened as I saw a massive box with the revell logo. I immediately picked it up and purchased it.

My boxing looks like this:

Launch_Tower_Space_Shuttle_Booster_Rockets_Revell_4911_144th.jpg

After a quick glance over: Someone started working on the shuttle, and very poorly, but I think it is workable. Everything else appears to be present. The tower parts are still bagged. Decals and instructions are present. The decals are ok. A little yellowed but not bad.

I paid $5.00 for it. Did I just get the "deal" of a lifetime, or am I getting my hopes up for nothing? What is this thing worth anyways? Is this a collectible or should I build it? I would like to build it, but I'm mostly a jet guy. However, I'm kind of excited to try something different. Can someone point me to any completed builds online?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by mynameismatt
So my church is setting up for its spring second hand sale. Its mostly clothes, knick knacks, and....junk. But to my surprise I found this Kit. My eyes widened as I saw a massive box with the revell logo. I immediately picked it up and purchased it.

After a quick glance over. Someone started working on the shuttle, and very poorly, but I think it is workable. Everything else appears to be present. The tower parts are still bagged. Decals and instructions are present. The decals are ok. A little yellowed but not bad.

I paid $5.00 for it. Did I just get the "deal" of a lifetime, or am I getting my hopes up for nothing? What is this thing worth anyways? Is this a collectible or should I build it? I would like to build it, but I'm mostly a jet guy. However, I'm kind of excited to try something different. Can someone point me to any completed builds online?

Thanks for your help!

Throw it on eBay with a minimum bid required and see what happens. Otherwise............enjoy a long build with this one. It never hurts to hang onto it until somebody asks for it. Great find, to!

I'll give you $10 for it. :woot.gif:

Seriously, you got the 'deal' of a lifetime with this!

I picked up an unbuilt Revell 1/144 shuttle a few months ago for .99 cents on E-Bay so you can always buy another shuttle relatively cheap. Even if you have to replace the shuttle this is an excellent buy. I think one of these, unbuilt, went for $320 on E-Bay recently.

Edited by crowe-t

BUILD IT!

I found a kit of the 1/10 Revell Allison T-56 Turboprop at a garage sale for $1. It was a little more started than yours is but I had a lot of fun building something different, something I would probably never buy otherwise. (although yours is a bit more involved). I walked away from one of those Shuttle Towers at a Swap Meet for $40 a couple years ago and wish I had picked it up.

For $5 you can have the experience of building an expensive kit!

P.S. I'll give you $40 hehehe... :cheers:

If you like the subject, I say build it. It does build into a very large model though!

On the other hand, I got the version without the shuttle, started, for $35 several years ago. You can easily replace the shuttle and get a REALLY BIG return on your investment. Or sell it the way it is and only get a BIG return. I have seen mint, complete kits go for $300/$400 on Ebay, sometime more.

Edited by indydog

Well, thanks for the replies everyone!

It looks like I've snagged a good one. After some thought I'm not sure if I want to keep it, or try to sell it. Especially if the kit is that valuable. I think I'd be more interested in building a 1/72 shuttle stack. What are those going for? Would it be a fair trade?

I think I'll hold on to it for awhile though, I don't want to make any rash decisions. I think I'll pick up a new revell shuttle and maybe the realspace decals and Main engines.

Ive also found a few pictures of this built up on the net, and the shuttle and tower end up being a friggin' enormous monster! And I'd never thought I'd say that considering I build almost exclusively 1/32.

Also doing some digging, it looks like the 1/72 shuttle stack is going to be re-released. Tower Hobbies has a release date of May 2011. Maybe I should sell and wait for the 1/72 shuttle stack...

Edited by mynameismatt

I paid 35.00 for mine new and it still sits unbuilt and unopened in the basement. I wish I bought a couple of cases of them!!!

There was a rumor a few years back that they were going to repop it. I don't know what happened but they never did....

I also had the Tower only kit and sold it a few years back. I may have been the guy who sold it for 35.00..... I got way less for it than I thought.

Max Bryant

Edited by mightymax
Also doing some digging, it looks like the 1/72 shuttle stack is going to be re-released. Tower Hobbies has a release date of May 2011. Maybe I should sell and wait for the 1/72 shuttle stack...

Or...you could try to trade it for the 1/72 stack. That thing will be seriously expensive to ship to someone though, assuming you can find a big enough box.

:whistle: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)