the joy of building or the joy of finishing

I assume it is normal, or at the very least, not unusual for completed models to periodically be rotated off of display shelves, and replaced by newer, more expertly finished kits. I myself do it frequently. Last night, I was going through my shelves and became hyper-critical of some of my models. I got a very strong urge to pack away a large portion of myof my built models. I know I'm not a bad modeler, but I sometimes try to cut corners to get through construction and get the completed kit into my collection. In the end its never worth it, because a month or two after I finish the build I begin to really take notice of the little screw-ups, and then they really begin to bother me.

The irritation became so great last night that of the 40+ kits I've got on display, roughly 15 of which will probably go "off the air".

This is not necessarily a bad thing, as I am running low on display space, but it got me thinking about why I rush through my builds sometimes. I want a nice collection of planes on my shelf, but the real thrill of a model should be in a build, no? At least I would like that to be the case for me. So how do I live in the moment, and take joy from the journey and not just the destination?

I mean, I guess I enjoy the build, or otherwise I wouldn't do it. I seem to only become a perfectionist about my kits AFTER they're finished; warts and all.

Ok, I'm starting to ramble now, and I feel this post veering off-course from the orignal question, so I'll open it up for discussion

I used to think some of my stuff was good. At the time it was. Now I can do better. Some day I might do better still. In any case, old models come off the shelf all the time as better stuff gets built. There is only so much room.

I assume it is normal, or at the very least, not unusual for completed models to periodically be rotated off of display shelves, and replaced by newer, more expertly finished kits. I myself do it frequently. Last night, I was going through my shelves and became hyper-critical of some of my models. I got a very strong urge to pack away a large portion of myof my built models. I know I'm not a bad modeler, but I sometimes try to cut corners to get through construction and get the completed kit into my collection. In the end its never worth it, because a month or two after I finish the build I begin to really take notice of the little screw-ups, and then they really begin to bother me.

The irritation became so great last night that of the 40+ kits I've got on display, roughly 15 of which will probably go "off the air".

This is not necessarily a bad thing, as I am running low on display space, but it got me thinking about why I rush through my builds sometimes. I want a nice collection of planes on my shelf, but the real thrill of a model should be in a build, no? At least I would like that to be the case for me. So how do I live in the moment, and take joy from the journey and not just the destination?

I mean, I guess I enjoy the build, or otherwise I wouldn't do it. I seem to only become a perfectionist about my kits AFTER they're finished; warts and all.

Ok, I'm starting to ramble now, and I feel this post veering off-course from the orignal question, so I'll open it up for discussion

Well, the reason may be this:

If you're like me (and several others according to posts I've seen) you will, during the build, keep investing effort and improving things until it becomes a chore and not a pleasure. That is the time I usually hurry along and wrap things up. A few weeks or months later when one looks at the model on the shelf our selective memory filters out the "chore" part and retains the other improvements we wanted to make thus the dissatisfaction. When you take that second self critical look ask yourself: "Did I build this to enjoy it or to show off the result?" The "little screw-ups" may then just disappear.

I've had the same experience. I remember being disappointed two years ago when an F-86 I built didn't place at a local IPMS contest. But after looking at the model closely over the weekend, I realized why. It was sloppy. It just doesn't look as good as I had thought!

It's interesting how the passage of time gives us new perspective on our older work, particularly as our skills continue to improve.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes certain part of a build is so much of a chore that I would rush it just to get it over with. Like you said, it's never worth it because I'd end up spending more time covering/fixing the rushed job, and the extra effort would never be as good as if the work was done properly the first time. Unfortunately, these chores tend to be in the "critical path" of a build, hence cannot be temporarily skipped and revisited later.

Terry

I got past a perfectionist block when I realized that I am an amateur at this, and really building to learn, instead of win contests and accolades. This isn't just a psychological slight-of-hand; I really am getting better at building models, and tackling more challenging builds. That said, none of my built models would win a contest; only a tank or two might look respectable on the table at a show. This means that I could part with any one of my models without too much grief.

Edited by Fishwelding

ahh, the little screw ups, as Derek calls them. Those are the things I'm talking about. I was dusting off an older (about 3 years old) Spitfire yesterday, which I used to think was the crown jewel of my collection. While dusting I thought to myself "wow, that yellow on the wing leading edges is really pale. Then I turned it over and noticed how much of a mess my was is, and how untidy my weathering on the landing gear was. The model which I thought was my best work, is now one of the ones I like the least. This began to cascade into a loathing-fest though, as I began to notice faults on all the other kits. At moments like this I want to throw out the baby with the bathwater, and just pack away my entire collection, save for a few exceptional builds. This made my wife excited, as she'd love it if I got a little display case for some nice kits, rather than throwing up more and more wall shelves when I run out of space.

pfft...weird thing to be all OCD about, little plastic planes. But there you go, its the one thing in my life, I do get OCD

If you're like me (and several others according to posts I've seen) you will, during the build, keep investing effort and improving things until it becomes a chore and not a pleasure. That is the time I usually hurry along and wrap things up. A few weeks or months later when one looks at the model on the shelf our selective memory filters out the "chore" part and retains the other improvements we wanted to make thus the dissatisfaction. When you take that second self critical look ask yourself: "Did I build this to enjoy it or to show off the result?" The "little screw-ups" may then just disappear.

That's me too. If I get bogged down in a kit too long, I get bored with it. I have a relatively short attention span so if I can't complete a kit in two months working a couple hours a week at it, I run a real danger of it ending up on the "half completed" pile. I hate adding to that pile, so sometimes at the end, I rush a kit that may be 80% done.

But in the end, I don't care. Hitting the paint booth usually puts the fun back in the project and that's what it's all about for me. I have to much OCD in my job, I don't need any more at home.

That's me too. If I get bogged down in a kit too long, I get bored with it. ........, so sometimes at the end, I rush a kit that may be 80% done.

I woulden't say I can get bored with a kit, maybe tiresome, but I think the 80% area is a danger (for me). Dispite all best mantras of 'I'm going to do this one in a disciplined way' I get so excited at this 80% stage, I just rush on through for the completion.

for me it's the Joy of building and the satisfaction of completion, with a battle between the two ?

Prefer building first, finishing 2nd, which is why I have 1/2 ton of par-builds. Now working to finish 3 par-builds before attacking the other pile. Have not bought a new kit in over a year.....a good thing as I'm 73 and have all those par-builds plus 300 fresh ones in the stash. At current building rate, will run out of life long before running out of stash.

Bails-In-Minnesota

Prefer building first, finishing 2nd, which is why I have 1/2 ton of par-builds. Now working to finish 3 par-builds before attacking the other pile. Have not bought a new kit in over a year.....a good thing as I'm 73 and have all those par-builds plus 300 fresh ones in the stash. At current building rate, will run out of life long before running out of stash.

Bails-In-Minnesota

I am EXACTLY like you. I always rush the last bit and loath the thing 2 weeks later.

I really enjoy the last few days of building, the painting, decaling, and adding the weapons and landing gear, and the clearing a spot for it to land on the shelf

But, I have had to learn that the best paint job goes over the best plastic and glue and putty work

So, I've concentrated on getting that part better in my builds

to keep from "being stuck at the beginning", I build more than one at a time, something is always in "open the box and start trimming", and "oooo that Future coat turned out okay", with other models in between

that way I can always decide to do whatever stage seems to be working well for me any given day,,,,,sometimes that means leave them all alone today, lol

today is "don't you dare try to paint in this humidity" day, so, I'll trim up and glue some weapons or something

I personally build for the fun and relaxation of building. I don't build to show it off even though some of my models are on display in an aviation museum. I definately do not build to win prizes and do not try to achieve 100% perfection. I get a nice feeling with my models when my grandsons stand in front of the display case and oooh and ahhh.

Frank

ATL

I have to be in the joy of the build because that's all I have right now. I used to have many finished models but those are all gone, they didn't survive my divorce. I didn't have a way to move them and when I returned to get my things they were all smashed. This is one of many reasons why I refer to her as "the Anti-wife". I was only able to salvage some pieces mostly ordinance off a couple of kits. Out of about 30 finished models, all on bases, some as dioramas, everthing that was salvagable fit in one medium sized model box.

Edited by Expat Tomcat
I have to be in the joy of the build because that's all I have right now. I used to have many finished models but those are all gone, they didn't survive my divorce. I didn't have a way to move them and when I returned to get my things they were all smashed. This is one of many reasons why I refer to her as "the Anti-wife". I was only able to salvage some pieces mostly ordinance off a couple of kits. Out of about 30 finished models, all on bases, some as dioramas, everthing that was salvagable fit in one medium sized model box.

I'm hearing ya!!! I had to break into my own garage while she was away to rescue what I could, got about 50% of my stash and finished/part finished kits!!! My daughter managed to rescue my decal collection so I did'nt do too bad I suppose. Also lost a huge box of model railway stuff, mostly irreplaceable!!!! ;)