mig-21s armed with rs-2us alkalis

I'm just as exited as everyone else about the eduard mig-21mf that we all ordered. I see that the kit comes with the alkali missiles but can't find a lot of info on the web about this particular armament for the mig-21. was it very seldom used in service and by which airforces? also does anyone have any service photos of tjem being used?

I'm just as exited as everyone else about the eduard mig-21mf that we all ordered. I see that the kit comes with the alkali missiles but can't find a lot of info on the web about this particular armament for the mig-21. was it very seldom used in service and by which airforces? also does anyone have any service photos of tjem being used?

Alkali is a ltille too old for MF.

PFM is a different story.

22722.jpg

Here is Yugoslav MiG-21PFM

Edited by flanker

The RS-2US was a beam-riding missile. Good for an interceptor (not too manoeuvering target; PF/FL/PFS/PFM versions), not for a mid alt fighter.

I think the MF did fly with those missiles operationally, in some countries.

The Polish AF now uses those missiles on the Su-22, which fires them on the range so SAMs can shoot them out of the sky (the missiles that is, not the Fitter....)

I imagined if eduard thought to include them in their mf kit they had to be used at some point in time.

It's possible that Eduard has done an ordnance sprue common to existing and future MiG-21 kits.

It's possible that Eduard has done an ordnance sprue common to existing and future MiG-21 kits.

Laurent that is very possible. They did add them however to their built unpainted showcase model on their facebook page. What exactly are the confirmated mig-21 models that Eduard have planned up to this point? SMT, Bis, PF, PFM, UM? I first heard they weren't planning the first generation F models figuring Trumpeter or someone else would beat them to it but now i'm starting to hear that they are planning them?

Laurent that is very possible. They did add them however to their built unpainted showcase model on their facebook page. What exactly are the confirmated mig-21 models that Eduard have planned up to this point? SMT, Bis, PF, PFM, UM? I first heard they weren't planning the first generation F models figuring Trumpeter or someone else would beat them to it but now i'm starting to hear that they are planning them?

Officially announced up to early March were only the MF/SM, SMT, and bis. In Mr. Sulc's March editorial in the Eduard newsletter however, he stated (seemingly as fact) that the reception for the MF kit has prompted them to proceed with plans for the F/F-13, PF, PFM, R, and UM.

J

I first heard they weren't planning the first generation F models figuring Trumpeter or someone else would beat them to it but now i'm starting to hear that they are planning them?

Perhaps Eduard doesn't consider Trumpeter/Hobbyboss as competitors anymore. Trumpeter is a toymaker ("what a highly detailed kit: look at the density of the riveting ! cool !") that makes model kits for casual modellers. The requirement is that the built model is a good representation of a real subject when seen from less than 5 meters away. Eduard started as an aftermarket company and their customers are more than casual modellers. They often have a pretty good knowledge of what the model is supposed to represent so Eduard cannot afford to miss characteristic features of the real subject in their kits. Not the same category of customer, not the same market I tend to think.

No release year has been given for the the F-13/PF/PFM/R/UM versions. Perhaps Eduard will consider that making a P-51 or F4U family will bring more incomes. No CAD drawings, no test shot of the MiG-21bis are visible so perhaps it won't exist (even though it's highly unlikely). The SMT test shot exists so the kit will exist.

Edited by Laurent

Yes,

They are Hungarian MiGs and the markings on the noses are for "excellently maintained aircraft of the wing".

Perhaps Eduard doesn't consider Trumpeter/Hobbyboss as competitors anymore. Trumpeter is a toymaker ("what a highly detailed kit: look at the density of the riveting ! cool !") that makes model kits for casual modellers. The requirement is that the built model is a good representation of a real subject when seen from less than 5 meters away. Eduard started as an aftermarket company and their customers are more than casual modellers. They often have a pretty good knowledge of what the model is supposed to represent so Eduard cannot afford to miss characteristic features of the real subject in their kits. Not the same category of customer, not the same market I tend to think.

No release year has been given for the the F-13/PF/PFM/R/UM versions. Perhaps Eduard will consider that making a P-51 or F4U family will bring more incomes. No CAD drawings, no test shot of the MiG-21bis are visible so perhaps it won't exist (even though it's highly unlikely). The SMT test shot exists so the kit will exist.

where are the test shots of eduards mig-21smt I haven't seen them yet? and as for trumpeter they have such glaring shape problems I haven't bought one of they're kits in years.