Gunze Sangyo Mr. Color

I've seen some really sweet finishes using Gunze-Sangyo paints so I'll give them a try.....what is the best alternative to thin them with if ya don't have or can't get Mr. Color thinner?.

The solvent based stuff....I don't have ready access to a retarder for the acrylics.

Edited by Angels49
I've seen some really sweet finishes using Gunze-Sangyo paints so I'll give them a try.....what is the best alternative to thin them with if ya don't have or can't get Mr. Color thinner?.

The solvent based stuff....I don't have ready access to a retarder for the acrylics.

If you mean Gunze's Aqueous Hobby Color acrylic range, you can thin it the same way you'd thin Tamiya acrylic. In my case, I usually thin it with either denatured alcohol (called methylated spirit in my part of the world) or Tamiya's X20A Acrylic thinner.

From my experience/rule of thumb...I use the product lines own thinner because it's properties are in line with the paint medium and will not react adversely. That said, I highly recommend Mr. Leveling thinner, it has a retarded and it works well with the Aqueous/Hobby Color and the Lacquer base Mr. Color's...and even Tamiya paints. I mix at 70:30 and spray at 10-12 psi and have never had a problem. You will be very pleased wit the results as they leave a very smooth semi-gloss finish...Good Luck!!!

Mr. Thinner or Levelling / Retarder thinner are the only good way to go. You will have the best finish you can expect from hobby colour.

If you really can't have access to Mr. thinner try with a few drops of laquers.

Alcohol also works but you will have flat finish instead of gloss or semi-gloss finish and the dry paint will be less hard.

I stongly suggest you not to use tamiya Thinnerwith Gunze, they would spry very nice but would never dry properly, they will remain sensitive to fingerprints for years and will melt when you will add decal setting solutions.

Also DO NOT USE FUTURE/PLEDGE over Gunze thinned with alcohol.

P.S. I'm using Gune's Paints since 1984 but I really appreciate them only since 2005 when I was able to buy my first bottle of Mr. Thinner!

Edited by Paolo Maglio
If you mean Gunze's Aqueous Hobby Color acrylic range, you can thin it the same way you'd thin Tamiya acrylic. In my case, I usually thin it with either denatured alcohol (called methylated spirit in my part of the world) or Tamiya's X20A Acrylic thinner.

I have been using the Gunze Acrylic paint - Tamiya thinner combo for years and never had an issue. cheers

I have been using the Gunze paint - Tamiya thinner combo for years and never had an issue. cheers

This is getting downright exasperating, I went to one of my LHS (who said he may not be getting it anymore) and phoned the other (who doesn't carry Gunze/Sangyo at all) and no Mr. Color thinner to be had. It looks like my only option is Gordon and Co., before they exhaust their stock, or another online vendor.

This is getting downright exasperating, I went to one of my LHS (who said he may not be getting it anymore) and phoned the other (who doesn't carry Gunze/Sangyo at all) and no Mr. Color thinner to be had. It looks like my only option is Gordon and Co., before they exhaust their stock, or another online vendor.

Lucky Models from Hong Kong have the paints (acrylic and lacquer) and the thinners in stock most of the time. If something is listed as "available" and not "in stock" on their site, check with them because it sometimes takes a few weeks before they restock.

With the disruptions to Japan's industrial base, Gunze products may be hard (make that even harder than usual) to find, either online or in stores. Luck hasn't gotten a shipment in a month or two, for example (I have a couple of Gunze paints on back-order with them).

I use Automotive Acrylic-Lacquer thinner for airbrushing Gunze Mr. Color paints. (plus with my other paints). Works well for me.

If you want a branded alternative, you can go with Tamiya Lacquer thinner. Good combination :huh:

I have used Tamiya Lacquer Thinner (not Tamiya Acrylic Thinner - the bottles are the same, only the color of the cap is different) with Gunze Mr. Color (the solvent-based paint) without any problems.

If the Mr. Color thinner works any better than what I've got....I'll enter a new realm; that will be modelers heaven.....ARC'ers I'm here to proclaim that Mr. Color solvent based paints are the dog's bark!!! B) :yahoo:

Edited by Angels49

My own experience has been that using Mr. Color Leveling Thinner with Mr. Color paints gives me the best results. For whatever reason the Mr. Color Leveling Thinner seems to work better (for me anyway) than the regular Mr. Color Thinner.

My own experience has been that using Mr. Color Leveling Thinner with Mr. Color paints gives me the best results. For whatever reason the Mr. Color Leveling Thinner seems to work better (for me anyway) than the regular Mr. Color Thinner.

The levelling thinner has a retarder in it to slow drying a bit. This allows it to settle down better and also prevents the spider webs so many complain of when using lacquer thinner or straight mr color thinner. Some colours can still tend to spiderweb if not careful, and I always have a bottle of Mr Retarder Mild about to add a few drops if this happens.