Hi all,

I've decided to join this GB with the excellent 1/72 Revell kit of the twinseater Voodoo. I will be using the kit decals for an aluminum lacquer bird (101010) of 409 Squadron.

Here's a pic of my progress so far:

P3285473.jpg

Now, I do have some questions about Canadian Voodoo's.

I understand this one is one of the later batch the CAF got, so it does have the IR searcher on the nose. I sanded off the formation lights too.

But I'm not sure about the external fueltanks, on almost every pic I saw, they flew without those. But then again, most pics are made at airshows, or on display somewhere. Did they use them operationally troughout their carreer?

Second question is about armament. I decided to use the 2 Falcons on it, as I already did a USAF one with the Genies. Which version of the Falcon was used? The kit ones look the most like the AIM-4F, like the one on this pic: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AIM-4F.jpg Is this correct, and can I use that pic as a color guide?

Anything else I should know about Canadian Voodoo's?

Pete

Hi all,

I've decided to join this GB with the excellent 1/72 Revell kit of the twinseater Voodoo. I will be using the kit decals for an aluminum lacquer bird (101010) of 409 Squadron.

Now, I do have some questions about Canadian Voodoo's.

I understand this one is one of the later batch the CAF got, so it does have the IR searcher on the nose. I sanded off the formation lights too.

But I'm not sure about the external fueltanks, on almost every pic I saw, they flew without those. But then again, most pics are made at airshows, or on display somewhere. Did they use them operationally troughout their carreer?

Second question is about armament. I decided to use the 2 Falcons on it, as I already did a USAF one with the Genies. Which version of the Falcon was used? The kit ones look the most like the AIM-4F, like the one on this pic: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AIM-4F.jpg Is this correct, and can I use that pic as a color guide?

Anything else I should know about Canadian Voodoo's?

Pete

Second batch of Voodoos had the IR nose.

External tanks were used throughout it's career.

Voodoos often flew with only a single external tank as the fuel burnt hauling around another full tank did not do anything for its range. So you can use one or two or no external tanks if you wish.

My reference says the Falcon is a AIM-4D or the AIM-24B, however I'm no expert on such matters.

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

They did use the tanks. One thing I remember reading is a study found the use of a single tank was prefered as it saved the drag of using two tanks and therfore the fuel in that second tank.

101010 was one that I built in 1/48. Still on the shelf.

Only photo I have of it is this one, bottom row second from left.

DSC_0766.jpg

Cheers guys, one fueltank it will be. I suppose it doesn't matter much of I use the left or right one?

Phantom, great looking collection you have there. :)

Cheers guys, one fueltank it will be. I suppose it doesn't matter much of I use the left or right one?

Phantom, great looking collection you have there. :)

I have pics of a one on the LH and pics of one on the RH----ie; either one is fine.

Tony

Single tank for sure. Left or right is not important, as far as I know. I remember my father (who was a Nav on 409 in the 60s) telling me about the fact that the second external tank was useless - the extra drag burned as much as it carried over the course of a flight.

AIM 4D for sure.

Tony, as usual, is right.

And welcome to the GB Pete!

ALF

Thanks for the pics, Ian! They're of great help.

I looked in the Hasegawa weapons set for the AIM-4D, but found they're too small to fit the slots on the Voodoo, so I decided to convert the kit ones. Removed the forward section of the fins on one so far:

P4035477.jpg

On the left the original kit missile, in the centre the Hasegawa AIM-4D and on the right the kit one with the forward part of the fins removed.

Now to add the small fins on the front and.....wait, what's that?

P4035478.jpg

Hey! Stop that commie spy thief!

P4035475.jpg

How will this end....?

Edited by Pete
Hey! Stop that commie spy thief!

P4035475.jpg

How will this end....?

Oooo, cool, Will there be a car chase scene?

Looking forward to this build. I have the same kit in the stash, if I have time afer finishing the Lanc and the Globemaster Id like to build the Electric Voodoo.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...