LF Opinions on CMK F4D-1 Skyray Detail Set in 1/48

Finishing "Killer Rays" has motivated me to kickstart an old Tamiya 1/48 Skyray build. I'm thinking about picking up CMK's Detail Set but I can't find any useful info on it. I'm wondering if the cockpit is more accurate than their 1/72 scale set. They list control surfaces included in the set, does this include leading edge slats? And of course, how does it all fit?

TIA,

Nick

• 1 month later...

Finishing "Killer Rays" has motivated me to kickstart an old Tamiya 1/48 Skyray build. I'm thinking about picking up CMK's Detail Set but I can't find any useful info on it. I'm wondering if the cockpit is more accurate than their 1/72 scale set. They list control surfaces included in the set, does this include leading edge slats? And of course, how does it all fit?

TIA,

Nick

Since I just recently bought both the kit and the CMK Detail set, I thought I'd jump in here, although since this is my first attempt at both resin & PE, I'm obviously no authority. From what I see, the CMK set only has 2 things going for it - the radar set displayed with the open nosecone, and some better looking detail on the deck behind the ejection seat. The seat itself is almost identical to the kit seat, aside from being slightly shorter, and having the ejection rails molded into the cockpit tub (where they're very easy to break off, trust me i know...) where in the kit they're part of the seat. The detailing of the cockpit tub is exactly the same as the kit with the exception of the previously mentioned rails & upper rear deck, plus some small details which end up hidden behind the rudder pedals (if I did them right - the instructions aren't real clear). There is also a small amount of PE for cockpit details, and 2 cockpit side panels which don't seem to fit well at all. Again, the instructions were not real clear, & you have to play with them a bit to try & see where they're supposed to be. Interestingly, I also bought the Eduard PE detail set, & it has all the same PE parts as the CMK, plus a whole lot more (seatbelts, exhaust, & wheel well details), including 2 cockpit sidewall pieces which look like they would look a whole lot better, if I hadn't already glued in the CMK parts. What this kit really needs is a set of engine inlet ducts...