Oh boy...I'm in the hospital!

This past tuesday I had same day arthroscopic knee surgery for a badly torn cartilage. Surgery went well and I was home by the end of the day. But over this weekend I started to develop a sharp pain in the calf muscle of the knee that had been operated on. By this morning that pain was high on the chart so I called my Doctor. In short order I was having an ultrasound done and within an hour I was admitted to the hospital with a blood clot in my left calf muscle. I guess they don't mess around with blood clots!!! Now I'm hooked up to an I.V. pump with Heparin running into me and am getting stuck every 6 hours until they get the INR to the correct therapeutic level.

Just what I need...

Best of luck, Terry. Following ankle surgery 3 years ago I ended up with a pulmonary embolism. I'm glad they caught your clot (no pun intended!) on time before it moved north on you and created a bigger problem. I had to take Coumadin, similar to Heparin, for about 6 months. The diet restrictions while taking those meds are a drag. Hope you are out of the hospital soon, but at least you have an Internet connection, huh?

:D, g'day there Terry,

I know being in hospital is no fun even if you have an internet connection. t least you have your wits about you enough to be able to use your connection. I hope you get better soon, all the best mate.

:cheers:,

Ross.

I guess they don't mess around with blood clots!!!
Yes indeed, if that joker breaks loose and goes to your brain you won't be getting glue prints on your models any more.

Wishing a quick resolution to this for ya :cheers:

No chasing the nurses though....

Any of them good for nose art inspirations?

Edited by southwestforests

Looks like you found it in time. I had one of those 20 years ago. Three months of not fun but been just fine ever since. Time to catch up on some reading. Enjoy your recovery.

I'm rapidly realizing one thing I'm really missing...my own kitchen! This really sucks not being able to grab whatever I want! :D And being pretty much bedridden sucks too! Couldn't fall asleep till around 0200 I think...and then they come in and wake me up at 4:45 with another blood draw. Sure wish I was home in my model shop! Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts!

Just remember that as a patient you have three rules to obey:

1) Obey all doctor's orders

2) Obey the orders of the nursing staff

3) Create as much mayhem as possible while staying within the bounds of rules 1 and 2

And get back on your feet, at least long enough to walk your backside to the chair at your modeling bench! :D

3) Create as much mayhem as possible while staying within the bounds of rules 1 and 2

And get back on your feet, at least long enough to walk your backside to the chair at your modeling bench! :bandhead2:

:rofl: Words of wisdom to be sure. I will try to live up to them! Thanks much.....

And get back on your feet, at least long enough to walk your backside to the chair at your modeling bench! :P

LMAO!!! That's great. Push the nurse button and when they come in, tell them you didn't do it. I love doing that when I drop off a pt in the ER. Soooo much fun. Hope ya get to feeling better soon!! :)

Hope you get better soon, Terry!

I was released from the hospital a few weeks ago myself after enduring a 9 hour-long abdominal surgery (about a 12-inch long cut straight across). While recovering the nurses kept insisting that I get up and walk to avoid blood clots. So yeah, they do take them very seriously. They got me so paranoid about them that I actually spent more time walking around the floor than sleeping. I walked so much and regain my strength so fast that I was out in 2 1/2 days (and this was supposed to be a 5-day minimum hospital stay).

You'll get through it, no worries mate!

Rob