Howdy all,

this is my contribution to the GB. I've read about Matt's build of this kit, and thought i'd like a crack at it too.

IMAG1306.jpg

Progress sofar has consisted of assembling bits and pieces and usual cockpit painting etc.

IMAG1304.jpg

Cheers,

Denzil

Edited by DDC

Thanks Mate!

Latest update,

Cockpit is all done and painted

IMAG1394.jpg

IMAG1393.jpg

The fuselage is now sealed up for good!

IMAG1400.jpg

Kit Issues:

The kit wings (and ALL trailing edges for that matter) are molded WAAAAYYYY too thick. Now, I'm willing to forgive errors here and there on this model, but as far as i'm concerned, the focal point of a Spit is the wing. Therefore, i've got out the sanding block and am paring it all down. Sofar, i've got the wing nice and sharp, though it is at the expense of all the engraved panel lines. No huge drama, out with Mr Rescriber and all is good again.

Cheers,

Denzil

:thumbsup:

Never thought of using quick grips like that before.

I have a bunch of them I keep handy for fuselage and wing assembly as well as a cheap set of multi size clamps I bought at Home Depot for like $6. It came with 22 clamps in 4 different sizes including some smaller ones that work well on 1/144 wings and the like.

Wayne- I find them indispensible! They're only cheapies, but they do the job well, and unlike the 'tried and true' clothes pegs, you can set the compression, so you dont distort parts whilst holding them together, which is lucky for me because....

IMAG1444.jpg

The wings are on!

Here are the thinned wings

IMAG1423.jpg

The rudder was also in desperate need of thinning:

IMAG1416.jpg

So here's how she looks now:

IMAG1424.jpg

The gaps around the wing were somewhat unexpected:

IMAG1447.jpg

IMAG1454.jpg

Starting the filling process

IMAG1463.jpg

How she sits as of tonight

IMAG1471.jpg

Let her dry overnight, then back into it tomorrow!

Cheers,

Denzil

Nice work bud. I have allot of the quick grips "carpenter by trade" just never thought of using them lol. I have used some tinny C clamps and spring clamps tho.

Wayne, I'm sure we'll start seeing them used in your builds from now on !

We're at Round 2 of the wing-fuse fill/sand session.

IMAG1497.jpg

We're getting there...

An interesting note about this kit, i was surprised at all the leftover bits and pieces that come in the box.

A Multitude of canopies, including a bubble one:

IMAG1506.jpg

Props and things of all sorts:

IMAG1507.jpg

And more little bits and pieces, including a retractable tailwheel:

IMAG1508.jpg

All the above bits are NOT used to complete the kit. AIRFIX, my Spares Box says THANKS :D

Until next time....

Denzil

Edited by DDC

Cheers Wayne. The pilot looks like this

IMAG1525.jpg

IMAG1523.jpg

His arms are in the last pic of the last post.

When are you gonna stop making excuses and start YOUR build? :explode:

You have any kits in mind?

The Spit currently looks like THIS:

IMAG1534.jpg

IMAG1528.jpg

IMAG1535.jpg

IMAG1527.jpg

This Kit is turning out to build more like a Limited run, than a mass produced Kit! I've used far more putty on this than on the 40 year old Hurricane kit! So much filling and sanding and carving Spitfire shaped bits from the blobs of plastic supplied! So far all the flying surfaces have been thinned all the radiators and coolers cames as square boxes, so needed thinning and rounding off, and the Prop! Don't even get me STARTED on the PROP!

Pretty sure all the Bogging is done, now just a matter of finishing off a few panel lines, throw on the canopy and we SHOULD be ready for paint. Fingers crossed!

Nice thick coat of paint and all sins will be forgiven.... ;)

Denzil

Edited by DDC

Cheers Wayne. The pilot looks like this

Sorry it took me a long time to respond :doh:

Thank you, the pilot looks pretty darn good.

When are you gonna stop making excuses and start YOUR build? :explode:

You have any kits in mind?

Denzil

Soon as I can find not only time, also a place to build something. Right now my modeling area is converted to a wood working, sawdust and plastic do not mix well.

As for builds in mind.

Something like this picture. http://www.mountainhome.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/091013-F-6911G-449.JPG With each bird having it's own plaque tho.

I have the decals and models already to do the Squadron and wing birds etc. except for the 428th Fighter Squadron.

She is coming along bud, so on a scale 1-10 how would you rate the kit so far? I am definitely tempted to buy one.

Edited by Wayne S

They'll look neat when they're done!

As for rating the spit, ill give it a 6 out of 10.

Detail from the box is adequate, although it is all VERY clunky and lacks finesse. Everything you need (in this scale) is there and looks alright after painting. Engraved panel lines ARE there, but again, they are big, probably scale out to being a foot across. Fit of parts has been here and there. The fuse and all danglie bits sofar have fit together well, but the fings and tailplane were awfull. You know of the saga of the 'Trailing Edges' so i need not to bring it up again.

Decals i believe will be quite good (I pinched some from this kit for my Hurricane build).

That must all, however, be weighed against the price. $30AUD is not a lot to pay for a single engined fighter (Here down under at least, besides im sure you can pick it up on special somewhere). And, as long as you're willing to put in a bit of elbow grease, it'll be easy to punch out a nice model of a lesser seen spitfire, that you're happy to show off to friends.

I say, go for it. It's a good ol' fashioned AIRFIX kit, and as the box says 'Some Assembly Required' ;)

It'll make a nice companion to Airfix's Mk22 (which i think ill have to build soon), showing the evolution of this classic design.

I think ill get another one and convert it into the Prototype :D

Mine's pretty much together now:

IMAG1573.jpg

I didnt like the blank radiator and oil cooler faces hanging under the wings, so i used some plastic mesh from a Tamiya car kit to busy them up a bit

IMAG1580.jpg

I've skipped a step here, but the sinver has been painted underneath, masked and now we have on some prown with a bit of post-shading :D

IMAG1594.jpg

Mask her up and then Bring on the GREEN!

Denzil

Thanks Wayne, Shoddy camerawork hides many sins :D

I've skipped ahead a few steps here. Green paint went on, followed by Humbrol Gloss, then the decals, a Humbrol Matt coat and a touch of exhaust staining

IMAG1607.jpg

IMAG1605.jpg

A little bit of detail painting here and there and we'll be ready for final assembly :D:D

Denzil

Thanks again Wayne, you'll be happy to hear,she's all finished!

IMAG1656.jpg

IMAG1661.jpg

IMAG1660.jpg

thanks for watching, and thanks to Matt, who showed us that it IS possible to have fun whilst making models.

Take care everyone,

Denzil

Real nice work bud, congrats on getting her done :cheers: .

If those pictures are taking at your house, you also have some beautiful scenery :wub:

Thanks Wayne, and thanks for your all your comments :D

Yeah, that's the view from my backyard, its not too bad this time of year ;)

Thanks again,

Denzil