Anybody tried this yet?

My cousin discovered a very cheap and effective way to clean brushes, especially the airbrush parts. The carburetor cleaner that comes in a spray can that you can get at an auto parts store. The long, thin tube can be inserted into the back of your airbrush needle to clean out the gunk and can also be snaked into that pesky curved metal tube of the reservoir. I don't do this after every use. I do it once after every 2-3 model projects. Be sure to go OUTSIDE to do this! wear a respirator, eye protection and rubber gloves. You want to be protected from backsplash due to the high pressure. Don't be looking down into tha reservoir when you pull the trigger! It shoots several feet. Might want to be at a safe distance from your car while your at it.

We've also found that you can carefully spray some into an old empty glass thinner bottle and use it to clean your bristle brushes. It works great and I've never had it damage a brush, but you desire, you might try it with some old brushes first just for peace of mind.

BTW did I mention that you should BE OUTSIDE AND WEARING A RESPIRATOR, EYE PROTECTION AND RUBBER GLOVES? Just checking.......... ;)

You'll find that most Carb Cleaners are too much for the seals inside the airbrush to handle. They do a wonderful job at removing just about everything quickly, but prolonged use will lead to decay of the seals.

Thank you for adding that in.

I have avoided using carb cleaners on the airbrush itself for that same reason. I remove the needle and reservoir

before spraying them, and should have mentioned same in my text. Good advise.

I've used it, I was a bit Leary of letting it touch anything rubber, but one more trick I add is to follow it with the same spray can lubricant, and spray that through the brush,then let that sit in the brush till the next time I use it, no stuck needles.

Curt

You'll find that most Carb Cleaners are too much for the seals inside the airbrush to handle. They do a wonderful job at removing just about everything quickly, but prolonged use will lead to decay of the seals.

On the other hand, he might get much improved idling and cold weather starts.

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Jack

On the other hand, he might get much improved idling and cold weather starts.

Just a thought. :wave:

Jack

LMAO :)

But i have mixed feeling about the damage to the rubber seal as i have worked on make carburators and they contain a couple of rubber seal and other rubber parts but then again they are probably more tougher than airbrush ones

There are better ways to clean brushes-airbrushes.

Spraying solvents into the atmosphere that you are so concerned about that you wear a respirator while you do so seems somewhat strange and distorted to me.

Low vapor pressure organic solvents or other cleaners such as Simple Green or Purple Power, while might requiring a little more effort, will do a fine job of cleaning (at least) acrylic paints.

Let's be friendly to the environment and to ourselves and families while we enjoy our hobby.

Stepping off the soapbox.