What's the price of gas where you live?

Right on brother!. Better to party it up before the big day. Seriously, I didn't mean to open a can of worms on this as I just wanted to know what the price is like around the world. I basically know what it is like in Canada and the US. However, some of the replies about different technologgy is quite interesting. Big Texan, I was just wonder when you mention about hydrogen are you talking about fuel cells or converting the gas engine into a hyrdogen burning engine. Forgive me it was pointed out somewhere. Also do you think that a stirling engine could be used as a generator to power an electric motor and drive train?

Both! We don't hear anything about this technology at all! Not one word! But you here about these rotten hybrids all the time! Google hydrogen powered cars and see the information that comes up! It is most impressive!

Edited by Big Texan
Big Texan is right on this one, we built our whole house of cards on a bed of oil, and the powers that be are not easily going to let someone start pulling that down.

Governments have next to no say or influence on this, and all the green talking and promises won't make a fig of difference.

Hydrogen power is pretty much the only route out, but when you have a situation where companies are paid NOT to invest in it, its hard to know which buttons are going to be pushed hard enough to make a difference.

The only thing, and I hate to tempt fate here, that is going to make any sort of difference will be when the easy supply routes become difficult ones, and when the people with the deepest pockets start seeing the law of diminishing returns taking effect.

I don't buy in to biofuels or electric vehicles, and I am a "green" type of person, they are alternatives certainly, and from an energy security point of view, potentially worthwhile, but cleaner? Not on your nelly.

Apart from which, it is potentially possible to make hydrogen powered aircraft and shipping, which just isn't the case for practicality with electricity.

And whichever bright spark thought tearing up forests and agricultural land to plant a monoculture of biomass with virtually zero wildlife value, only to tear it all up and burn it was a good idea. Well. Grrr.

My biggest problem with all of this is that a good percentage of people who stand on soap boxes spouting vitriol about the environment have next to no knowledge or expertise in the subject, nor do they wish to, politicians want votes, companies want profits, and there is absolutely nothing else driving this.

QFT! :worship: Outstanding Matt!

The Venezuelan guys who work with me say that a bottle of water is more expensive than a full tank of gas over there.

Don’t know the price but sounds good to me. :lol:

That is because their govt. subsidizes fuel costs there. Many especially developing countries do so. Canada and the USA could do the same but the money to subsidize the below cost fuel prices would have to come out of other govt. revenues and if you have not noticed Canada and especially the USA are writing in RED INK like red ink is going out of style. But we citizens hardly give a fig about the massive deficits (REGARDLESS OF WHAT SIDE OF THE POLITICS ONE SUPPORTS, RIGHT, MIDDLE OR LEFT IMO!) our govts. are running up now as it will be a burden on our children and grand children as we each and all look myopically at our own selfishness and blind greed. :lol:

At the station just down the road from me, which is notoriously expensive, it's (in USD) $4.25, $4.35, $4.45 (regular up to the high-grade stuff). Obviously, I avoid filling up at that station like the plague. The cheap station downtown, which I fill up at because I drive right by it on my way to the gym, is $4.07, $4.17, $4.27.

The Venezuelan guys who work with me say that a bottle of water is more expensive than a full tank of gas over there.

Don’t know the price but sounds good to me. :)

Venezuela is .12 cents a gallon.

Below is from CNN.

Gas prices around the world

Think you pay a lot for gas? Perhaps you'd prefer to live in Venezuela.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – Gasoline prices in the United States, which have recently hit record highs, are actually much lower than in many countries. Drivers in some European cities, like Amsterdam and Oslo, are paying nearly 3 times more than those in the U.S.

The main factor in price disparities between countries is government policy, according to AirInc, a company that tracks the cost of living in various places around the world. Many European nations tax gasoline heavily, with taxes making up as much as 75 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, said a spokesperson for AirInc.

In a few Latin America and Middle-East nations, such as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, oil is produced by a government-owned company and local gasoline prices are kept low as a benefit to the nation's citizens, he said. All prices updated March, 2005.

Nation City Price in USD Regular/Gallon

Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48

Norway Oslo $6.27

Italy Milan $5.96

Denmark Copenhagen $5.93

Belgium Brussels $5.91

Sweden Stockholm $5.80

United Kingdom London $5.79

Germany Frankfurt $5.57

France Paris $5.54

Portugal Lisbon $5.35

Hungary Budapest $4.94

Luxembourg $4.82

Croatia Zagreb $4.81

Ireland Dublin $4.78

Switzerland Geneva $4.74

Spain Madrid $4.55

Japan Tokyo $4.24

Czech Republic Prague $4.19

Romania Bucharest $4.09

Andorra $4.08

Estonia Tallinn $3.62

Bulgaria Sofia $3.52

Brazil Brasilia $3.12

Cuba Havana $3.03

Taiwan Taipei $2.84

Lebanon Beirut $2.63

South Africa Johannesburg $2.62

Nicaragua Managua $2.61

Panama Panama City $2.19

Russia Moscow $2.10

Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74

Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91

Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78

Egypt Cairo $0.65

Nigeria Lagos $0.38

Venezuela Caracas $0.12 :thumbsup:

The main factor in price disparities between countries is government policy, according to AirInc, a company that tracks the cost of living in various places around the world. Many European nations tax gasoline heavily, with taxes making up as much as 75 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, said a spokesperson for AirInc.

In a few Latin America and Middle-East nations, such as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, oil is produced by a government-owned company and local gasoline prices are kept low as a benefit to the nation's citizens, he said. All prices updated March, 2005.

My point exactly! The oil producing nations of the Middle East and a few Latin American countries are run by monarchs, despots, and dictators! They keep the price of gas low in their country to keep the peasants happy while they rake in Gozillions off of us!

Time to go Hydrogen and make oil worthless!

$1.29 a litre the other day.

but there is a lot of folks who think nothing, when they pay $2 for a half-litre of water in a bottle.

Tony

I can't wait until multinational companies start offering bottled air - regular and new rainforest scented for that fresh clean air smell. :rolleyes:

Time to go Hydrogen and make oil worthless!

Hmm, no argument in relation to cars etc but your missing some thing about the oil and gas industry. Oil is not just gasoline and diesel? burning hydrogen in your car and bus is not going to make oil and gas worthless?

How do you fly this

Boeing-737-300_Astraeus.jpg

with out it turning into this with hydrogen?

4583452947_ab714d122d_b.jpg

How do you fuel this

OME-GAS-200-AA.jpg

Make these?

Plastic_household_items.jpg

How do you heat this?

log-cabin.jpg

or cool this?

House-Rendering.jpg

And then there is fertilizer, composites, car components, plane components........ all made from oil and gas

We are deeply tied to oil and gas, much much more so than just gasoline.... look around you surroundings and how much of it would be there without oil? your computer? your desk? your heat, make-up, hair products, I could go on and on with examples......

Edited by ron

Why am I not surprised?

gas5.jpg

They also take Amex and Visa. Can't tell if they take MasterCard in lieu of firstborn. Probably "+firstborn".

Edited by The_Animal

It will still high for awhile till the people start to complain to congress,that is in the U.S. The rest of the world already pays a high gas price. Because the Govt control.And the fact that most rifineries where ever they are are own by US companies.So that is why the US has cheap gas.

Hmm, no argument in relation to cars etc but your missing some thing about the oil and gas industry. Oil is not just gasoline and diesel? burning hydrogen in your car and bus is not going to make oil and gas worthless?

How do you fly this

with out it turning into this with hydrogen?

How do you fuel this

Make these?

How do you heat this?

or cool this?

And then there is fertilizer, composites, car components, plane components........ all made from oil and gas

We are deeply tied to oil and gas, much much more so than just gasoline.... look around you surroundings and how much of it would be there without oil? your computer? your desk? your heat, make-up, hair products, I could go on and on with examples......

Your post is interesting.....the same sentiment was expressed long ago when they tried to stop whaling. Whale oil and other whale byproducts were used in many ways and people actually thought those products could not be replaced with other products.

Consider what someone 100 years ago would have thought of the microwave oven.

Having said that.....I don't see us running out of oil and gas anytime soon. When I was a kid.....I was told there would be no more oil left on the planet by the year 2000.

Energy is VERY big business.....consider how much your family spends on energy....gasoline, electric and natural gas etc. Now multiply that by all the families in your country. The dollar amount is staggering. These various energy companies are highly motivated to come up with solutions to keep selling us some sort of energy.

The goofy part is.....all this energy is from the sun.........in one way or another (oil is from long decayed living tissue that was nourished by the sun) and the energy from the sun is free. The sun shines on our little planet for free......how did we end up spending billions each year on free energy? :lol:

Hmm, no argument in relation to cars etc but your missing some thing about the oil and gas industry. Oil is not just gasoline and diesel? burning hydrogen in your car and bus is not going to make oil and gas worthless? .

You are spot on Ron, allow me to add to your point.

Oil consumption has seen a geometric growth rate over the last several decades. Even if we replace all our automobiles with Hydrogen technology, the oil industry will still continue to see healthy growth due to the many other needs and products derived from oil.

This is all the the more reason to pursue hydrogen sources and technology as to not put all our eggs in one basket. Hydrogen can additionally allow us more energy independence.

I guarantee if everyone start driving Hydrogen cars....then Chevron and all the other oil companies would begin producing hydrogen and selling it for crazy high prices and they would all sell it for the same fixed price etc. :lol:

Don't get me wrong.....I'm a huge believer in solar energy and building a house so it uses less energy to get the same comfort level and more energy efficient cars etc.

But the only way you can reduce energy costs is to use less energy or produce your own energy. As long as you continue to buy your energy, then you will be paying whatever price the market place demands.

I guarantee if everyone start driving Hydrogen cars....then Chevron and all the other oil companies would begin producing hydrogen and selling it for crazy high prices and they would all sell it for the same fixed price etc. :cheers:

Any new energy source they come up with for cars will be sold by large gas companies. They are the only ones with the know how, $ and infrastructure to handle such things.

Hydrogen cars: You guys do understand that equals more water in the atmosphere, nuclear power stations do the same. All these gasses we talk about like C02, methane etc, are just middle men to get water in the atmosphere. Really, do people want 4ft snow storms and 10 inch rain storms to go along with hot humid days in the future, I do not.

PS: The higher the humidity level the less power an engine can create.

I'm not shure about cost of fuel in Moscow, but in my town in Russia, today, 95 octane fuel cost about 99 cents per litre, for my lucky i'm drive russian-made car, which used 92-octane fuel, not looking for MiG logo on car jet fuel is not need.

lada%20mig.jpg

oil isn't the problem !! planet overcrowding and people stupid enough to keep paying is !!

if wwe had one day a week where everyone stuck together and didn't buy fuel

thier attitudes would soon change the losses would be huge to them

oil isn't the problem !! planet overcrowding and people stupid enough to keep paying is !!

if wwe had one day a week where everyone stuck together and didn't buy fuel

thier attitudes would soon change the losses would be huge to them

Ahhh...ya....good luck with that. :)

The problem with this idea is the next day.....there would be more people buying gas because they missed a day.

There's only one way to send a message to the big oil companies......and this will never happen........everyone needs to park their cars for a week or two and not buy any gas. Like I said.....it will never happen.

On average....every car has half a tank of gas........some are almost empty and some have just filled up. If everyone went out on the same day and topped up their tank.....the gas stations would run out of gas. So there is quite a bit of collective power......but it will never be focused.

Here's the thing: oil is a finite resource. As more and more people all over the world use more and more of it, the price *is* going to continue to go up, and probably faster than it has before. China is using oil much faster than they were even three or five years ago. Most of the US seems ignorant of the whole idea that you don't *need* a gigantic SUV to cart your kids to soccer practice, so we keep using more and more too. I think it's a situation where you'd better get used to it, 'cause it's as good as it's gonna be in your lifetime right this very day.

J

PS: The local price is kind of irrelevant. Every locale has totally different pricing, taxes, etc. It's really apples vs. oranges. In places where fuel is extremely expensive by the standards of another place, other factors come into play, like relative income, distances between places, etc, etc, etc.

Oh please! Oil companies want you to think we are running out of oil. That and speculation on the stock market is whats keeping the oil price so high. Years ago commodities that affected everyday living like food, water, oil, etc, were protected from speculation so the average person could afford it. With the deregulation of the market traders can speculate on how long oil will be around for and create a false supply problem to artificially raise the price of oil. Same goes for vegetables, grains, fruits and other commodities that the public consumes.