1/48 Hasegawa F-22

With 3 to 1 ratio there is metallic look to it alright, it's just hard to capture with my mediocre camera. The metal powder is so fine it becomes embedded in the dried paint rather uniformly, but at this rate one bottle(29ml) will hardly be enough for a large plane that is Raptor in 1/48th. I'd say it still is better than using metallic enamel, MM just sinks to the slower drying bottom layer after being brushed and if you try to correct it with more metallic there will be bare metal spots embedded into base paint (tried it personally while trying to replicate worn out paint on a soviet subject). Alclad is another story, it comes dissolved with something fierce, which makes it mix great with other enamels (any brand virtually), but if spayed over even week old, rubbed in Mr surfacer it would craze and chip off all over the place. Hase instructions mention Super Metal additive from Gunze which I've never used or even saw being sold even by Japan based e-stores. it might give better results since both paint and additive are made by the same manufacturer, but I would not bet on it. :rolleyes:

Well explaned

The pictures look a bit grainy in the metallic sense. That is what usually happens in photos of metallic finish. Do the pictures capture the kit look, or is the actual model finish smoother?

It's satin upon touch, I put a hologen light at sharp angle so more light would be reflected from metal flakes. There are silver ones that did the job and copper flakes that didn't :rolleyes:

I'm back. Managed to finish masking and painting dark gray blotches tonight. This is acrylic gunze sangeo mixed with tamiya titanium silver. I think I found way to make metal acrylic to stay suspended, Initially I sprayed the above mixture as is and metal color sunk to the bottom leaving only bare gray visible. I had a little of old future polish lying around so I added some of it to the mix and before I knew it mixture was stable, with metal pigment nicely embedded into gray paint. :cheers:

DSCI1379.JPG

DSCI1381.JPG

DSCI1378.JPG

DSCI1384.JPG

The patterns look good, but there is something off about the colors. The contrast between the two grays is too sharp...

You are right now that I look at in daylight there definitely something to it, I still think it's botched 314 color that is too light while dark gray blotches are very close to the real ones, judging by various walkaround photos. I will try something tonight to get base to be darker and also have a hint of copperish tint to it, but not sure if it will work. if it works, there will be another update later today or on Sunday, if not I will end up stripping whole thing of paint and primer. <_<

You are right now that I look at in daylight there definitely something to it, I still think it's botched 314 color that is too light while dark gray blotches are very close to the real ones, judging by various walkaround photos. I will try something tonight to get base to be darker and also have a hint of copperish tint to it, but not sure if it will work. if it works, there will be another update later today or on Sunday, if not I will end up stripping whole thing of paint and primer. <_<

I ended up repainting whole thing... Received a phone call from Burbank's House of Hobbies about a small restock of Gunze acrylic paints, so I went there to pick up a few USAF shades and a bottle of Tamiya Titanium Silver yet somehow ended up buying A-model's enormous Il-76 Candid as well (It comes in a huge box!). As before I used future floor polish to help suspend metallic paint in gray tone, unlike last time I opted out of masking base color before painting darker blotches so as to give them less pronounced borders after I found few photos of real plane's upper surfaces. After spraying base colors I added a few swirls of VERY thin Tamiya light gray to the blotches to simulate wear and solar radiation effects, again a few pictures on Prime Portal showed that Raptors do weather after all. After that, I sealed fragile acrylic layer with Gunze's UV-Cut semi-gloss spray lacquer. You may notice few bright green spots, these are left over masking fluid I would like to clean up in daylight so I don't butcher some of the small landing gear pieces (there are a lot of them).

DSCI1387.JPG

DSCI1388.JPG

DSCI1389.JPG

DSCI1390.JPG

Edited by K-5

I think you made the right call. The Il-76 is a beast--I'm still not used to seeing them.

mm, right call on repainting or being nearly killed with a SWMBO's phone after bringing another 'useless' box? :rolleyes: I have unexpected day off tomorrow, so I can show off some new progress. Painted the outer edges and glued some pieces in place just now:

DSCI1394.JPG

DSCI1392.JPG

DSCI1393.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mate, looks great!

Here's a short video I made of some F-22 close ups. I want to build one of these one day, they look like spaceships in the sunlight.

http://youtu.be/MCh23Qws-RM

Thx, this one looks dull, the one I saw at Edwards was shining like a chrome bumper.

I don't have any exiting updates this time, just working my way through 100+ decal items...

DSCI1406.JPG

DSCI1407.JPG

• 1 month later...

Looks like I finished nozzles today. I ended up tossing original kit parts in favor of nozzle set from Aires, kit ones are no match to resin ducts and especially PE fret that comes with them. Now I got to figure out how to weather this beast without turning it into a toy.

DSCI1444.JPG

DSCI1448.JPG

DSCI1447.JPG

DSCI1453.JPG

DSCI1454.JPG

Wow!! :jaw-dropping: :jaw-dropping: Your Raptor looks great! Leave it to the Air Force to make things difficult for us as far as painting that beast. I really want to build one but it seems like a lot of work to do.

• 1 month later...

I'm done!!! I opted out of washing every relief on the surface, only those that represent actual and frequently opened panels were highlighted. Also added were some streaks of Tamiya smoke fluid, mostly around the engines section. The end result was sealed with few generous coats of Tamiya semi-gloss clear from the can.

DSCI1540.JPG

DSCI1549.JPG

DSCI1543.JPG

DSCI1542.JPG

DSCI1555.JPG

DSCI1552.JPG

Edited by K-5