1/32 Tamiya A6M2 Zero

I built the A6M5 version of this model a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed that build. This is the later model but its of a previous version, if that makes any sense.

I am not going to be adding anything to the model as it is really detailed out of the box but I will put on some alternate markings and I will attempt to paint on a few of the markings as well.

The engine was a lot of work due to the different colours required, but once painted, it went together beautifully. I also think I improved my exhaust manifold over my previous attempt:

100_3283.jpg

100_3279.jpg

100_3281.jpg

100_3282.jpg

Previous attempt:

100_2505.jpg

The cockpit was also time consuming - mainly because of the number of parts and the many colours. However, once you have all the sub-components completed, it fits together like a glove!

100_3274.jpg

100_3278.jpg

100_3271.jpg

100_3270.jpg

100_3275.jpg

Cockpit assembled and ready to go.

100_3289.jpg

100_3288.jpg

100_3287.jpg

100_3286.jpg

100_3285.jpg

100_3290.jpg

I painted the interior of the fuselage tonight but I did not do much in terms of detail work. There really is no point as its too dark in there to see anything once its closed up.

• 2 months later...

Finally!

Its the seams and my need to perfect them. I also polished the primer coat. I like the look of the paint more when I do this. Nothing more than the steady progression of polishing cloths and lots of water.

CIMG0322.jpg

The model itself does not need a lot of seam work but it does need a little at the wing roots by the engine, the deck behind the cocpit and the bottom of the fuse towards the middle and back of the airframe.

CIMG0323.jpg

Note - the rivet detail at the bottom of the rear fuse is very light. This time I took a needle to it and I much prefer the outcome.

So the painting begins!

REALLY nice work mate. got the Tamiya zero sitting in the cupboard, been to lazy to be bothered to mix the "green" they use...nahh bugger it tell the truth i have just been lazy!!! but your work here is making me at least look in the box.... :salute: :blink:

Thanks guys!

Kopf, don't worry about the paint. Tamiya has paints specifically for this model XF-76 I think. Its also available in their spray range. Other than that, just break down the construction into components and you will never get bored! The cockpit is a kit in itself. The engine is a lot of fun to put together.

Preshade and cockpit deck preparation:

CIMG0327.jpg

CIMG0326.jpg

CIMG0325.jpg

CIMG0324.jpg

I preshade this one with 'dark grey' by tamiya - 3:1 thinner to paint and I used my fine Iwata brush to put it on. I also put a couple of drops of retarder in there. It actually works.

Hi Trek

I use a HP-Bplus and its excellent for fine lines. You can really thin the paint well and dial down the pressure. Impossible with my Badger but right tool for the right job.

Next step is masking and installing the canopy....

• 1 month later...

Its been a while - summer, baseball (we got into the playoffs but got knocked out in the first round) and busy work. But I did manage to get this zero painted. I was attempting to make a relatively clean bird but still have some of the preshade show though. Also, I had a very hard time with the Tamiya decals last time so I wanted to try painting the major markings (I have never done that before!!). I am very happy so far:

CIMG0329.jpg

CIMG0330.jpg

CIMG0331.jpg

CIMG0332.jpg

All paint is tamiya acrylic - and its been generally custom mixed. Main colour is the XF-76 with White at about 3:1; Hinomarus are red to hull red 7:1 and the yellow band is about yellow to red at about 20:1 (I know but I didn't want to bother going to get an Orange!

Next step is to gloss things up and do the decals... I can hardly wait!

Just in the glossing phase now

Always nervewracking for me. I have generally done an OK glossing on models in the past but I have screwed up a couple too. Future can be bulletproof or tempermental and its so hard to predict. Anyhow - I have the first couple coats on - its going well... hopefully by the end of the night!

Wish me luck!

• 1 month later...

Ok - I have been a bad poster... I went ahead and finished it without much of any updates. Basically I painted on the markings, glossed it, decals and then promodeller wash. I think this is my best model so far and I am very happy with the results. I will take some better pics soon for the Critique Corner.

The contrasts are not as harsh to the eye as they are to this camera!

DSC_0620.jpg

DSC_0621.jpg

DSC_0624.jpg

DSC_0623.jpg

DSC_0625.jpg