RCAF Maritime Air Command lancaster Mk 10 SAR

Searched through my spares, looked at a few 1/32 bombs that were either too big or too small, I then tought maybe some external fuel tanks... I do have a left over external fuel tank from my Eurofighter kit. Its about 12.5 mm in diameter, and ahas about the correct taper to it. Time to dig out my razor saw. :P

Turns out to be a perfect fit in the opening, snug enough to stay in place without glue. I have the the lenght roughed in, I cut it a bit longer than the 13 mm (12mm +1mm to fit into the fuselage), and attached the 2 halves together. Tomorrow, Ill cut it back to the correct lenght and shape it to the right contour.

Sounds like it coming along great Charlie, 6 weeks till CAMS! No pressure.

Thanks for the reminder Wayne. 6 weeks to go and a move in a few weeks, lots of time left. :jaw-dropping:

If I can get that radome done today, I hope to get a few coats of Mr Surfacer on this one.

Time to start this one fro the GB. I got the kit bundle from Don Gerrard (Dong) a few years ago, waiting for this GB I guess.

The kit is the 1/72 Lancaster kit by Revell Germany. Ill be building it as an RCAF post war Lancaster Mk10 SAR (Search and Rescue) using Belcher Bits decals and resin wheels.

Now on to the build. First thing I had to do was to open up a few new window positions at the rear of the fuselage. I marked the outer edge of the windows with masking tape, then drilled into the corners. I then used a hobby knife to cut the holes open, finally using files and sanding sticks to shape the window openings. I used some unused canopy parts to make the new window panes.

P1020514.jpg

P1020515.jpg

P1020516.jpg

Next, I filled in the windows along the upper sides of the fuselage since Canadian built lancasters didnt have them. Im keeping the interior detailing to a minimum since I dont thing much will be seen through the greenhouse canopy anyways. Just some simple drybrushing to bring out the raised detail in the fwd crew cabin and wheel wells.

P1020519.jpg

P1020518.jpg

P1020517.jpg

P1020522.jpg

Next I started closing up the fuselage and then attached the wings. The fit so far has been pretty good, not Tamiya like, but better than I am used to from Revell. The wings fit so tightly onto the spars that glue was not needed to hold them on. Just a bit of Tamiya super thin was needed to join the wing to the wing root. Now I let it sit for a day before I putty the seams.

P1020523.jpg

Don't know if you can do anything about it now, but those aft windows by the stabs, aren't flat. You can see it a bit in Phantom's photo of his Lanc, but they are bulged. The best description is one half of a pop can, cut vertically.

Scott

Don't know if you can do anything about it now, but those aft windows by the stabs, aren't flat. You can see it a bit in Phantom's photo of his Lanc, but they are bulged. The best description is one half of a pop can, cut vertically.

Scott

Hi Scott, Long time no see. I discovered that today actually. If I can find the right materials, I might give it a try. I still don't have the aft end of the fuselage closed up so I should be able to knock those window panes inside and remove them easily enough. Would the top and bottom be clear as well, or just the cylindrical sidewall?

I didnt take any pics tonight, but I managed to make a close facsimile of the ventral radome using a 1/48 Eurofighter external tank and an unused part from the lanc kit as a plug. Once it was all glued together and the clue had set, I chucked it, that is, I mounted it on a nut driver and spun it on a 12 cordless drill while I sanded the shape. Its not perfect, but it looks the part.

Before I started with the primer coat, I discovered that one of the canopy side inserts had somehow gotten detached and had set slightly inside the main canopy greenhouse. For some reason, the Revell Germany clear parts don't seem to work well with the Tamiya extra thin, I had issues attaching all the clear parts. Anyways, I had to break the part loose and attach it from the outside.

I did a better job than I thought with the seams, as only a few were visible underneath the fuselage once the Mr Surfacer primer coat was applied, a little light sanding should fix that. A few panel lines need to be fixed, then I should be able to start painting.

I made the sides clear. It looks painted in this photo but the top and bottom are clear as well. One piece of plastic cut to size, filled down to shape and futured.

DSC_0163.jpg

Edited by phantom
Hi Scott, Long time no see. I discovered that today actually. If I can find the right materials, I might give it a try. I still don't have the aft end of the fuselage closed up so I should be able to knock those window panes inside and remove them easily enough. Would the top and bottom be clear as well, or just the cylindrical sidewall?

Phantom has it correct. Both top and bottom were clear along with the rest of the window. The ONLY exception to that was the thin frame where the top and bottom pieces meet the rest of the window. You can just macke out the upper frame in Phantom's new photo.

Scott

Phantom has it correct. Both top and bottom were clear along with the rest of the window. The ONLY exception to that was the thin frame where the top and bottom pieces meet the rest of the window. You can just macke out the upper frame in Phantom's new photo.

Scott

In the interest of time, I have decided that Im just gonna go ahead and finish this the way it is. We're moving to a new appartement next weekend and then at the end of may is the CAMS show in Fredericton that I need to get this done for. I still want to finish the Globemaster as well. Thanks for the tips though guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Well just posting to show this build is still alive. We moved to a new apartement weekend before last and prior to that I've injured my shoulder, my right one at that and I am righ thanded. AS it is now I can barely lift my arm and I have hardly any strenght in my grip so needless to say, model building is a bit of a challenge for me at the moment. Going in for a CT scan on Friday, really hoping to get this sorted out soon.

In light of all that, Im not gonna go ahead and do a lot of the extra detailing on this one, completionj is my goal at the moment. This pic was taken this morning showing the coat of white Vallejo primer. Since the pic was taken, I've masked off the areas to be painted day-glo red, and painted the top of the fuselage with Tamiya gloss white. Tomorrow or Thursday I will start with the Alclad II metallics, then maybe the day glow stuff.

223280_10150244260259602_632169601_8799165_2276910_n.jpg

Doesn't matter how slowly it goes, progress is still progress. Good luck with the shoulder Charlie. My wife did something to her shoulder over the winter. Not sure what she did but she has been diagnose with a 'frozen shoulder'. It's getting better but she's been doing physio 2 - 3 times a week for a few months. Her physiotherapist says it could come back in a few weeks or it could take six months. I hope your predicament is a quick fix.

Good luck, brother.

Mike

Yeah I was diagnosed with a frozen shoulder last fall. It got so bad that they had to do a manipulation on it where they knocked me completely out and took my arm and moved it around in a big circle. The meds afterward helped quite a bit. Good luck with the scan Charlie. High five!! The Lanc is looking good.

It sounds like we are a bunch of gereatric has-beens. I've been having injections in the right eye to stop the spread of macular degeneration and as a result my model building has slowed to a crawl. Add to that arthritis in the hands...Oh well, I'm still upright and breathing.

Barney

Thanks guys... Hoping for a speedy recovery. AS long as were all here, thats what counts.

I got the first shade of Alclad on today, just the regular aluminum shade. Started off holding the airframe low against a back drop, but my arm was beginning to give out even before I was half done. I was able to suspend the model by the masked leading edges of the horizontal stabs, then I switched my grip up. using my left hand instead, that was awkward so I tird something different. Anyone here who has watched any of Brett Greene's airbrushing videos will know what I mean, but I held the airbrush like he does, kinda like youd hold a TV remote control, and in my left hand as well, that was actually a lot easier than I expected it to be. I got a pretty decent finish, Ill let it set up for a day before I mask off the other areas. Basically Ill use either Testors or Tamiya Chrome silver for the engine nacelles and surrounding area, then tamiya flat aluminum for the ailerons. That will leave the day glo red and flat black areas for last.

It sucks getting old doesn't it. It sounds like your coming along great. Are you going to have time to get it finished for CAMS? Don't rush it if you think you can't.

Charlie - I hope your shoulder improves. I also hurt my right shoulder this winter with all the snow shoveling and roof-raking. It is almost better, but it did affect my modeling and enthusiasm for modeling

If it wasnt for a few contests coming up and the ever approaching deadline to my first ever hosted GB, I would take it easy. I just feel like I really need to finish at least one.

It sucks getting old doesn't it. It sounds like your coming along great. Are you going to have time to get it finished for CAMS? Don't rush it if you think you can't.

You got that right buddy. Funny thing is, I was in perfect health when I used to smoke. Seems like everything started coming apart at the seams when I quit. I really want to try and have it done for CAMS if I can. Like Scott says over at SMA, its about completion right now, not perfection. It will look good, nice bright colors and not a subject you see everyday so I am hoping it will do well in public votes for the challenge. For a judged entry, Im putting all my eggs in one basket with the F-16.

First big paint reveal... Finished the major painting this morning and pulled off all the masking tape. I had a bear of a time with the Tamiya Titanium Silver paint I used for around the engine nacelles, I could not get a decent thinner ratio, no matter what it kept gooping up and clogging my ab. I eventually justy switched to the medium needle and nozzle set and bumped up the air pressure. Wasnt pretty, but its on there. needs some sanding before I do the clear coat. I still have some detail painting to do, maybe over the weekend.

ps: Really trying to resist the urge to paint the navigators dome up like R2-D2.

P1020593.jpg

P1020592.jpg

P1020591.jpg

Edited by Charlie Cheetah