RCAF Maritime Air Command lancaster Mk 10 SAR

I was gonna wait til I was entirely done painting before I posted any more pictures, but after finishing the day glow red, I decided a few more wouldnt hurt... looking pretty good now. I do have a few areas to clean up where I got a bit of day glow overspray or paint creep down panel lines and creases, then Ill mask and prep for the de-icing boots and antiglare on the nose.

P1020602.jpg

P1020601.jpg

P1020600.jpg

P1020599.jpg

For a guy who is figuratively painting with one arm tied behind his back, you're doing a fine job Charlie.

Nice work.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I realized today that I forgot to paint the spinners day glow as well, which is probably just as well, most of the pics I've seen show red spinners, not day glow. Future Gloss coat is on now, rough job but it'll have to do.

This thread had me this >< close to buying a RoG Lanc kit and decals for this machine today! Went for a P-3 instead, but the SAR Lanc is definitely on my list for the future - thanks to this build here! :)

This thread had me this >< close to buying a RoG Lanc kit and decals for this machine today! Went for a P-3 instead, but the SAR Lanc is definitely on my list for the future - thanks to this build here! :)

If you do eventually decide to get it, buy it with the Leading Edge decals if you can, it has all the little add ons included in resin, plus also includes the walkways and other stencils, plus the fuselage band is a decal on that sheet. The Belcher set is nice though, and it has other very interesting markings options. I think the Hasegawa Lancasster SAR kit is fairly complete and one version even included the LEading Edge decals and resin.

Thanks for the tip, Charlie! If I'd've bought it yesterday it'd've been with the Arrow Graphics decals, as those were right in stock at Imperial Hobbies... I'll check Burnaby Hobbies next. Failing that, what's a good online source?

A little more progress, decals are all on... Had a tense moment at the end when I couldnt find the last one, and there was no spare... Found it though. I am gonna try to finish it up tomorrow night n the offside chance I find a way to the CAMS hobby show on Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Didnt finish this one Friday night, didnt get to CAMS either, oh well, got some model building done at least. Touch ups applied, decals on, clear coat and satin coat applied as well as some exhuast staining. Hard to tell in these pics but the clear coats really took away from the day glowness of the day glow red paint. Looks more like international orange now. Oh well, live and learn.

I discovered while applying decals that I made the day glow fuselage band reach around too far at the top of the fuselage, there should have been a white background wide enough for the RCAF lettering between the red and the bare metal of the fuselage sides. Instead of digging out the airbrush, I found some spare white deals from an old superscale decal sheet,I cut up enough to make 2 layers over the red, then was bale to put the lettering over that.

Got a few things to do tomorrow but I am gonna try to wrap it up.

P1020623.jpg

P1020622.jpg

P1020621.jpg

Looking fantastic with that day-glow orange, and the nicely-done weathering on the wings.

Barney's lucky to have seen these beasts fly around near Greenwood. I have a question for him - what's louder, a Lancaster flying by at 100 feet AGL, or a Tyrannosaurus roaring?

ALF

She's done, pics being uploaded as I type this. Will post 'em in the completed builds gallery shortly.

P1020638.jpg

I had a few issues with the landing gear, the soft Revell plastic plus spindly nature of the Lanc's landing gear struts were a bit too much for my clumsy hands to work with. I also lost a few of the counter weights for the rudder trim tabs. I may seek out some white metal or brass gear legs before I put this one on a contest table. I did cut a few corners too, my injured shoulder really set me back a ways and I really wanted this one completed. It at least looks like it should, all that is missing as far as I can tell are some antenna wires and the cylindrical observation windows. If I were to do onme of these again, Id like to try the Hasegawa kit combined with the Leading Edge decal/resin combo.

Edited by Charlie Cheetah