Looking and lurking wasn't enough, so I decided to join in the fun and hopefully to complete it in good time.The kit is from Hasegawa F/A-18C box and decals from Leading Edge sheet #72.48

P1020510.jpg

Started about a week back and will get some of the shots taken so far on it.

Looking and lurking wasn't enough, so I decided to join in the fun and hopefully to complete it in good time.The kit is from Hasegawa F/A-18C box and decals from Leading Edge sheet #72.48

P1020510.jpg

Started about a week back and will get some of the shots taken so far on it.

Nice choice of subject. I have several good reference pics of this aircraft in this scheme - send me a PM with your e-mail address if you'd like some.

Looking forward to some progress!

ALF

Thanks Emil...ALF I'd send yer a PM

Progress time:

- Got the cockpit in, nothing much though as they're just decals.

- Assembly is the normal pain from Hasegawa at the rear joining the 2 halves.

p1020505i.jpg

- As well near the nose.

p1020507v.jpg

Basic panting done as per instructions from the decal sheet, masked areas and gloss black paint applied. Decals should be up next. Will be following as instructed on the sheet. Anybody have thoughts on what I should look out for? ;)

p1020527n.jpg

Basic panting done as per instructions from the decal sheet, masked areas and gloss black paint applied. Decals should be up next. Will be following as instructed on the sheet. Anybody have thoughts on what I should look out for? :)

p1020527n.jpg

In 1/48, it was a bit of a challenge...

Some of the decals refused to lay down into the complex curves around the nose (the white tendrils). The wingtips (orange/black near the missile rails) were tough to get to sit down as well.

Good advice about trying out the logo to see if this particular sheet needs the decal film treatment.

My best advice is take your time, and use softening solutions when you need to.

Good luck - the paint job looks sharp so far.

ALF

• 1 month later...

Decals On and completed! It was quite tedious especially with all those stencils. The larger decals was fairly simple though a little adjustment was need while having them on. Overall it took almost an accumulative 3 weeks for the decals alone. :bandhead2:

Having completed my first ever Canadian Hornet, I would say I'm pleased with Leading Edge decals and worth the time and effort for this particular scheme.

p1020879y.jpg

Very nice build, looks like you got all the stencils sorted out. The end result sure is gorgeous.

I'm doing the same scheme (and decal set) on the Academy Hornet. And yep, it's pretty tedious to do, I've got to do a blitz tonight and get the smaller markings & stencils on so I can get the bird done in time. It really is a nice sheet by Leading edge (unfortunately, it doesn't fit the Academy Hornet as well, the LEX's are longer, causing all sorts of problems for the nose decals).

Beautiful job on those decals! They aren't easy to do right.

ALF

That's so absolutely correct as I would guess it was scaled down from 1/48...so most of everything was a little wee bit tiny :doh: At the end of it, it was about right from what I've done :lol: