Just some inspiration for your builds.

Our Model Club had the Privilege of building a B-17 for a local resident,and ex-waist gunner in the 447th BG,Adie Fix.

He flew in a number of B-17's one being named Stinky, but he wanted us to build Fuddy Duddy for him.

He visited one of our Club Meetings and told us a few stories, His Squadron was one of the first to be attacked by Me-262's, and he had a few pictures of his A/C after one such attack.

We split up sub assemblies,one guy doing the engines gun turrets and landing gear, and other doing the interior,and fuselage assembly, I did the wings and final paint then handed it off for decaling,the Fuddy Duddy decals were made and printed on an Alps printer, while others built the base, painted figures.

Over all it was a very rewarding experience, if you ever have the opportunity to do something like this take the oportunity.

Curt

DPP_0013CR.jpg

DPP_0004CR.jpg

Adie2CR.jpg

AVGFuddyDuddy33CR.jpg

AVGFuddyDuddy10CR.jpg

Adie1CR.jpg

Edited by Netz

Awesome! Thank you for sharing this. I WILL be building this ship, only part I need is to cobble together the correct decals for the serial number.

More to follow, my swmbo is calling me off to go out.

Adie1CR.jpg

WOW !!! That is ONE AMAZNG build....I think it was such a good idea for you to do that and I assume that this is the Gentleman..

He looks amazed and overawed by it ...Lovely to see that...

You ALL did him PROUD....well done.... :jaw-dropping: :unsure:

and please tell him THANK YOU to him for his SERVICES.... :salute:

HOLMES

Edited by HOLMES

Often we view modeling as a solitary pursuit; with the occasional internet build, local club build etc.

But to stretch the talents of your club to such a common, worthy goal is inspirational. Giveing a man a model of his past is a great thing- Great job and congratulations, well done.

icon_salut.gif

Neat!

I got a ride in the B-17 restored as "Fuddy Duddy." I'd love to build a model of her (in 1/72) as she appeared in wartime, but the problem is there are no decals, and from what I've read the original was shot down before the 447th adopted the yellow tail and green stripes.

SN

Adie is quite a guy, he had his photo album, showed us photo's of his chewed up tail that was hit by a Me-262.

The photo of him was at our Annual Contest, he was a key speaker, and received allot of attention.

Between all the builders I think we had 50 plus hours into the build, but completed it in 2 months, I think it would have

taken a single builder 3-5 months to complete.

Adie has plans to donate the model to a local High School History Class,once they find a safe place to put it (it is a 1/48 Monogram kit)

Curt

Like I was saying, I do plan to build Fuddy, I have nose art decals and 447th BG markings from the pro modeler release, just need the right font for the serial number. I plan to mark her up as the restored version, full yellow tail, wing tips, engine cowls etc...

Fuddy Duddy was the first B-17 I'd seen in person when I was a kid when she was in geneseo NY. So she has a special place in my heart. Sentimental journey might be built in tandem with fuddy when I get to building them, got her markings too.