Trumpeter M1A1 Abrams w/mine plow

Hi All,

Here are some pictures of my Abrams that I'm currently working on. I will be building option 6 from Echelon Fine Details T35004 decal sheet and was wondering if anyone can confirm the colour of the mine plow, is it green or is it the same colour as the tank? There is a picture of the the actual tank on the back of the instructions (it appears green in colour) but it is too small to make an accurate decision and the instructions only have a line drawing of the mine plow but no colour suggestion. Have tried the web, but with no luck.

ZEDSC08769copy.jpg

DSC08772copy.jpg

ZEDSC08865copy.jpg

ZEDSC08868copy.jpg

Cheers,

Lawrence

see more at:

http://zedhobbies.blogspot.com/

Looking pretty good. I would go with the green plow. Looks like a good build so far.

There is one other small issue on it. The Bustle Rack Extension (BRE - extra rear turret basket) you have used is not correct for a Marine tank. It is the type used only on the US Army's 2 BDE, 3ID tanks from PrePo stocks in Kuwait during the Invasion in March '03. The USMC used the folding BRE found in the Dragon M1A2 SEP kit, Academy's M1A1 2003 OIF kit, or from Eduard in PE.

It looks like this:

DSC08831.jpg

DM-SD-05-14079.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

G'day HeavyArty, thanks for the input and photos (great pics by the way). I tried getting the Eduard set but it appears to be out of production. Anyway to cut a long story short, I scratch built a BRE for my Abrams . While not a 100% accurate it looks the part.

ZEDSC08874copy.jpg

ZEDSC08878.jpg

Cheers,

Lawrence

see more at:

http://zedhobbies.blogspot.com/

Looking pretty good. I would go with the green plow. Looks like a good build so far.

There is one other small issue on it. The Bustle Rack Extension (BRE - extra rear turret basket) you have used is not correct for a Marine tank. It is the type used only on the US Army's 2 BDE, 3ID tanks from PrePo stocks in Kuwait during the Invasion in March '03. The USMC used the folding BRE found in the Dragon M1A2 SEP kit, Academy's M1A1 2003 OIF kit, or from Eduard in PE.

It looks like this:

DSC08831.jpg

DM-SD-05-14079.jpg

Lawrence

WOW !!!looks like the REAL thing...

WONDERFUL build..NICE paint job..love the color..it matches the real McCoy.. :salute:

and Heavy Arty,

AWESOME photos too..THANK YOU :salute: hoo

HOLMES

Edited by HOLMES

Thanks Holmes, I always appreciate your feedback.

Cheers

Lawrence

Lawrence

WOW !!!looks like the REAL thing...

WONDERFUL build..NICE piant job..love the color..it matches the real McCoy.. :cheers:

and Heavy Arty,

AWESOME photos too..THANK YOU :cheers: hoo

HOLMES

• 1 month later...

Hi Madmike, that's the part I'm looking forward too. I really enjoy the weathering process but will go easy on the wear 'n' tear part. As the Abrams that I'm modelling doesn't seem to have much.

Cheers

Lawrence

A very fine build which will look great with some weathering and general wear n tear.

Thanks Steve, you're much too kind.

Cheers

Lawrence

It looks better than the real thing.......it's amazing how realistic they look when you add all the gear to the exterior.

Beautiful job. :worship:

Cheers Holmes,

thanks,

Lawrence

I also think it looks SO much betetr than the REAL thing..

Its looking fantastic, and once all the exterior trimmings are added, it 's gonna look A BEAUTY !!

keep it coming ! :worship:

• 5 months later...

Hello Lawrence,

This is JUST STUNNING..Looking VERY IMPRESSIVE...... :wub:

This has been a WONDERFULLY , INCREDIBLY INSPIRING work to follow..... :worship::worship:

You cannot distinguish the model from the real when you look at them... :jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

A bit of photoshop of that real background and it will trnsform it even more... :wave:

AWESOME WORKMANSHIP...you did SO WELL..

BRAVI.. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Outstanding build. Very nice. I have one of these in my stash that I want to build. However I do not have the instruction sheet. I purchased the model at a show and there was no instructions! Great work

I thought I recognized those guys.

They had the M-88 there also, I remember watching Mr. Tamiya as they maneuvered it around a bit, it tore up the asphalt pretty good,I guess it was worth price of admission to him.

Curt

I thought I recognized those guys.

They had the M-88 there also, I remember watching Mr. Tamiya as they maneuvered it around a bit, it tore up the asphalt pretty good,I guess it was worth price of admission to him.

Curt

I'm curious what exactly tore up the asphalt? Both the M88 and Abrams have rubber track pads designed specifically to avoid damaging asphalt. Most US tracked armored vehicles since the M60 tank have had this type of track. Unless the track was so worn it needed to be replaced it shouldn't have tore up asphalt.
I'm curious what exactly tore up the asphalt? Both the M88 and Abrams have rubber track pads designed specifically to avoid damaging asphalt. Most US tracked armored vehicles since the M60 tank have had this type of track. Unless the track was so worn it needed to be replaced it shouldn't have tore up asphalt.

The weight of the vehicle during a pivot steer. The rubber track pads are designed to not tear up the road when going straight. The weight of the vehicle will tear asphault to shreds when the tracks slide sideways during a pivot steer, which is when the vehicle turns while remaining in the same general place by moving one track forward and the other backwards, or by only moving one side of track and letting the other slide.

60 tons of tank pivoting on a driveway that's not built to handle it.It was a pretty hot day also,it was brutal.

Curt

60 tons of tank pivoting on a driveway that's not built to handle it.It was a pretty hot day also,it was brutal.

Curt

Yeah, heat will do that. If it softens the asphalt just enough. I can remember driving on pavement and leaving faint outlines of track pads on a really hot day. Most of the roads we drove on at various Army posts were concrete slab, I think specifically for that reason.

Outstanding build. Very nice. I have one of these in my stash that I want to build. However I do not have the instruction sheet. I purchased the model at a show and there was no instructions! Great work

Cheers Bill. If you haven't found a copy of the instruction sheet as yet I would be happy to send you a scan of the instructions.