Any model rocket enthusiasts around here?

I just got re-bit by the model rocket big in the last few weeks.

I just won an ebay auction for a 1:4th scale AIM-9 Sidewinder! Pretty stoked to get that built and on the launch pad.

Any one else out there into model rocketry?

Yeah, I am, although I haven't touched it in a couple years. I did just get a kit of a rocket powered British Police Call Box a couple weeks ago. I'm going to build it up and give it to my wife because she's a big Dr. Who fan. I also got one of the Estes Paveway kits off of eBay about a week ago.

Nice! I found a webpage with some of the old Estes catalogs and saw the paveway...and maybe a rockeye?

I just found a company called "The Launch Pad" that specializes in replica missiles. They have the AIM-54, AIM-120, AIM-7 and AIM-9, a bunch of AGMs and even a Hellfire. Looks like they are pretty big as they all call for D motors or bigger.

I keep toying with the idea of getting into it. I had to build a rocket as a class project back in the 5th grade (back in 1993). Everyone in class ordered out of the Estes catalog. I build a two stage rocket that was called The Cobra back then and this little midget thing called the Mosquito. My favorite I saw built was an F-14 Tomcat that launched with its wings back and when it hit the recovery stage, it would spread its wings and glide back down.

I started up with model rockets in 1982 not long after STS-1. I was heavy into it back then as I even got a rocket club started at my local school. I flew rockets until about my Sophomore year in high school, then went back more into styrene models. In the early 1990s, I got back into rockets and served as secretary and president of the local rocket club for two years. I sort of got out as I didn't really have the money to fly much more than model rockets and the club progressed more towards high power. Eventually I stopped flying. However, I still have all my stuff and have made some new acquisitions.

My plan in the next couple years is to build a 1/72 scale flying replica of the Ares 1-X test rocket. I don't quite know yet what I will power it with, but it will be a pretty tall rocket almost approaching Estes Mean Machine dimensions (almost six feet tall). By recovering it in two sections, I can even give it a realistic flight profile. :thumbsup:

I`m pretty big time into LPR ,MPR and HPR (low ,mid and high power rocketry) ,but getting more and more into high power (H ,I ,J ,K and L impulse CTI re-loadable motors 160-5120 Newton-seconds or 1,150 LBS. thrust average)

It`s a blast.....but mucho $$$$

Those The Launch Pad kits are great kits ,but they need moderate skills to build ,as they are not "Tamiya /shake and bake " kits ,but lend themselves to detail and scratch work.I`ve builr quite a few of their kits,and they can be made into museum pieces.

The sky IS the limit !

Paul T

I can remember building the ESTES Sidewinder and Phoenix. The AIM-54 was a beast. If I remember right it took "D" motors? That was pricey for me as a 13 year old ;-)

Now at 49 years old ,it costs on average between $40.00 - $ 70.00 bucks a pop ! More for the bigger 6 grain 54mm motors.These are composite AP motors ,the same stuff used in the Space Shuttle solid boosters.

We appply for waivers ,to secure airspace when flying high power or rockets weighing over 3.3 pounds ,which pretty much includes most of our stuff.

Although ,I still like flying those black powder "D" engines.

Paul T

Edited by Paul T

Yes! It's a hobby my dad and I share, back from when I was a teenager. Everything we launch so far is "basic" stuff (A through E engines). In the winter we go out to the center of a good sized lake...the frozen surface is a HUGE launch zone, but we still lose a fair amount of stuff (or the experimental ones we design ourselves sometimes spin out of control, or explode, which is exciting).

We had a successful time last month, with two multi-stage rockets having perfect flights and recoveries.

:cheers:

Mike

I built them way back when, but got tired of losing the damn things. I have no idea how you guys that launch the high powered ones manage to get them back.

Depending on motor size/impulse ,rocket size & weight and estimated altitude ,electronics (altimeters/timers) are used in rockets set up for dual deployment.At the highest point of travel(apogee) the altimeter will sense this (pre-set) and set off a charge ,releasing a drouge parachute.This smaller parachute stabilizes and slows the rocket until a predetermined altimeter setting is reached (usually 500 - 800`) at which time a secondary charge goes off and releases the main parachute/chutes,If all goes well ,the whole thing should land pretty close to the launch area.

Sometimes......it can get FUBAR ,but we always use two altimeters and double ejection canisters/charges ,and check the shear pins as well as new batteries for every launch.

We also fly on large fields ,our main is 4 x 4 miles square ,with waivers from 5-10,000 feet AGL.

Paul T

Just got a big AIM-54 from Launch Pad Rockets. They say it's rated up to F motors, but the balsa fins seem pretty soft. I think I am going to replace the balsa with some 1/8 inch ply and balance it with some clay in the nose.

Other than that, it looks like it is going to build into a gorgeous model.

I have been talking about rockets with my daughter and we decided to start a "rocket club" with her friends in the neighborhood. A good way to get them unplugged and away from the x-box and outside. Gonna save up the AIM-54 from the end of the summer launch and give them a big "WHOA" moment watching a big D Powered rocket lift off the pad.

Just got a big AIM-54 from Launch Pad Rockets. They say it's rated up to F motors, but the balsa fins seem pretty soft. I think I am going to replace the balsa with some 1/8 inch ply and balance it with some clay in the nose.

Other than that, it looks like it is going to build into a gorgeous model.

I have been talking about rockets with my daughter and we decided to start a "rocket club" with her friends in the neighborhood. A good way to get them unplugged and away from the x-box and outside. Gonna save up the AIM-54 from the end of the summer launch and give them a big "WHOA" moment watching a big D Powered rocket lift off the pad.

I usually just replace the balsa with Basswood ,plenty strong and also keeps the rocket light.I f you use an F motor ,make sure it`s not the Estes E black powder motor ,just not enough power for this kit.Although I`m sure you know this already.That is indeed a fine kit ! Enjoy !!

Our club is having a high power launch this May.We got our restricted aircraft waiver approved for 9000 feet AGL. Some of the guys are bringing some "M" impulse motors.I`ll be flying mostly H and J with a few L`s.I can hardly wait.

Paul t