ALCON,

Just wanted to bring this one to light fast before this turns into another F14Cat scenario. Recently I came across a trade that I initally thought was too good to be true. Looking back, I should have went with my gut. Shannon Wells aka Shwells1975 offered up a NIB Trumpeter F-14B in exchange for a few Hasegawa birds. I bit the bait and now Im out of 2 Tomcats and a Hornet, all 1/48th scale. Very dumb move on my part. I was kind of skeptical at first because Shannon was a "newbie" but I figured someone gave me my first trade, so I could do the same for him. Communication was great up until the final details were hashed out. I kept up my end of the trade and shipped the kits when I said. I guess it stings so much because I dont have it good enough to just go out and replace the kits that I know I wont ever see again.

Shannon was online today at some point, didnt return my PMs. He's shown his true colors, as I found out Im not the only one he's taken. Job well done Mr. Wells, you coward. Be aware folks, there are bad people floating around these forums. Please spread the word. Majority of the folks in our community are great people. However, we have a few dirtbags in the ranks. Please be careful guys and gals. Times are tough for a lot of people. For someone like this to take advantage of folks is beyond me.

Karma is a......well, we all know what she is. So Mr. Wells, do what's right, return the kits or come through on your end of the trade. I will glady remove this thread if the deal is settled one way or another. Its funny, as Im typing this, I keep thinking how much shwells1975 has in common with Mr. Dean Lehr...both from SC, both seem like great guys initally...maybe just a coincidence. Seen one seen em' all I guess.

T.

hi,

I too traded with Shannon for the F-14B, send him a Hasegawa F-22 and F-14D. Like Bangem82 above, communication was great till I send him the usps tracking number for my shipment, after that complete silence on his part

I too fear that I will not see my kits, and I guess no more trading with newbies from North or South Carolina from now on

And folks, not by any means are we saying that he was bad because he's from NC or SC, I don't want anybody to take it that way. A dirtbag is a dirtbag. He represents himself. So don't let one bad apple spoil any dealing just because he's from a certain city/state/region/country.

Has anyone checked to see if Mr Wells is using the same or similar address as Mr Lehr et al?

Ken

Ken, I haven't personally, but I would be interested to know the status of that. I can PM what I have if you would like to compare.....

T.

Sorry to hear this, I always try to do a "send first" to a newbie to make sure he is legit. ( I know, I am a newbie here, but on other forums).

If you guys have his real name and mailing address, turn him in to the Post office. Mail fraud is a crime and they really do prosecute, especially if this involves multiple victims.

All,

I've been doing some digging regarding Mr. Wells and the results are not good so far, Bangem82 provided me his real address and I've turned up nothing so far to show that he lives there.

I'm not sure it's Dean Lehr/Rachael/Nemo/etc. the address of Mr. Wells is far away from Dean's old stomping grounds, he kept his activities in the greater Charleston area while Mr. Wells is supposedly operating out of the other side of the state.

The hunt is on!

Ken

Gotta tell you that after losing well over $1000 in bad transactions here and on HS and LSP, I am done trading or buying on these sites, except with people I already know, or with someone highly recommended by someone I know REALLY well. Even though you have "protection" through paypal, if the perp has a zero balance (usually the case) you will get nothing but tea & sympathy from paypal.

Good luck!

Edited by Glen the Rotorhead

Glen the Rotorhead I understand where you're coming from, and it's probably not a bad idea to restrict trades to known good traders, I don't trade high-value items with newbies for that reason, may be unfair to a newb but at the same time there's a lot of scammers out there.

I had a PM regarding "Shwells1975" and whether or not he was David Harris out of Greensboro NC, as far as I can tell he's not, nor is he Dean Lehr, the address "Shwells1975" gave is a long way away from either of the two guys noted above, a scammer isn't going to set up shop 4-5 hours away from his old stomping grounds to pilfer a few model kits, especially with gas pushing $4/gal now.

In my searching I can't find any evidence that 'Mr. Wells' lives @ the address he gave for the trades, a lot doesn't add up at the moment and I'm still digging.

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

You know, its crazy, I was thinking how if the guy would have said something like "hey, Im a little short on cash" or something to that nature, 9 times out of 10, I would have worked something out with him. Oh well. I will just take it as a lesson learned. I hate to discrimenate against newbies because we were all there once. But I cant personally afford to take risk everytime I make a deal. Glen, I agree with you, only business I think Im gonna do from here on out is with someone established, or that I've dealt with before.

Glen the Rotorhead I understand where you're coming from, and it's probably not a bad idea to restrict trades to known good traders, I don't trade high-value items with newbies for that reason, may be unfair to a newb but at the same time there's a lot of scammers out there.

I had a PM regarding "Shwells1975" and whether or not he was David Harris out of Greensboro NC, as far as I can tell he's not, nor is he Dean Lehr, the address "Shwells1975" gave is a long way away from either of the two guys noted above, a scammer isn't going to set up shop 4-5 hours away from his old stomping grounds to pilfer a few model kits, especially with gas pushing $4/gal now.

In my searching I can't find any evidence that 'Mr. Wells' lives @ the address he gave for the trades, a lot doesn't add up at the moment and I'm still digging.

Ken

Thanks for all of your help Ken!!! You are the man!!

I think guys like this are killing my state. I live nearly 2 hours away from the address he gave me, but I dont know if it would even be worth me driving out there. with gas costing as much as it is, and the legal aspect of it. I asked a friend of mine who is a anderson co police officer and he said without proof he took them, other than the very few messages that were sent between us, there is nothing the police can really do. How ever, you and I can file a civil claim for theft of personal prop., but in my case, he got me for less than $50, the court costs are more than that. What really ****** me off is this was my first trade on here, and I get shat on. I have learned the hard way that you cant trust everyone, even on a modeling forum. STUMP