Iwata nozzle thread - Can I use Super Lube around it?

Hi all,

I've disassembled the two Iwata airbrushes I have to give them a good cleaning but was wondering if I can use Medea Super Lube on the nozzle thread.

When I unscrewed the nozzles they both had a distinct brown color paste around the threads. I don't know what this may have been but I'm assuming is some sort of lubricant. Being that I completed removed these brown pasty things from the nozzle threads (I thought it was paint initially), I was wondering if I should/need to use the Medea Super Lube on this area or whether I could just leave it as is and screw the nozzle back on 'dry'.

Any ideas/feedback will be appreciated.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

Rob, Another option is to go to a dollar store and look in the hair care section and pick up a jar of beeswax. I use it all the time on the threads of my airbrushes. It lubricates the threads and seals them from any leaks. Cheap and will last you forever. Put a small amount on with a toothpick.

Bob

Rob, Another option is to go to a dollar store and look in the hair care section and pick up a jar of beeswax. I use it all the time on the threads of my airbrushes. It lubricates the threads and seals them from any leaks. Cheap and will last you forever. Put a small amount on with a toothpick.

Bob

Just got the exact same tip from the distributor who do service and warranty them in our region... :thumbsup:

Dan.

When I unscrewed the nozzles they both had a distinct brown color paste around the threads. I don't know what this may have been but I'm assuming is some sort of lubricant. Being that I completed removed these brown pasty things from the nozzle threads (I thought it was paint initially), I was wondering if I should/need to use the Medea Super Lube on this area or whether I could just leave it as is and screw the nozzle back on 'dry'.

That brown paste is not a lubricant. It's a sealant that Iwata uses to seal the nozzle to the body. If you don't have a good seal you may get bubbles blowing back into your paint cup. You can use beeswax too. Here's a tip I learned from Coast Airbrush. Apply some on the nozzle threading, put the nozzle back on with a couple of turns, run a lit match or lighter to melt the wax then tighten the nozzle with the spanner. Just be careful not to overtighten!

Oh, beeswax....I was thinking along the same line but just didn't hit me.

Man, I guess I shouldn't have removed the sealant...Oh well, it was bound to wear off at some point. Is there any way to get that same sealant Iwata uses from Medea or an art store? I don't mind using beeswax but if I can find what Iwata uses I much rather try what they put at the factory. Perhaps not but just asking anyway.

I'll get some beewax this week from somewhere and will try it out (that lighter/match thing is an interesting tip Cyrus - I might just give it a shot).

Thanks all!

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

I agree with the beeswax, after I clean my airbrush I smear a little on the threads of the nozzle when I put it back together.

If you don't have a good seal on the threads of the spray nozzle you will not be able to spray fine lines without the airbrush ''skipping''. One of the four Iwata airbrushes I bought had no sealer on the nozzle threads and it would not spray reliably without skipping, I called Iwata and explained what was going on with my airbrush and the tech person said it sounded like there was not a good seal on the spray nozzle so I checked my airbrush and the threads on the nozzle were very clean with none of the goop on the threads like my other Iwatas had and from that point on I use beeswax on the threads of all my airbrushes.

I did not like the beeswax from the hardware store and called up Dixie Arts and bought some prepared beeswax which is made for use on airbrushes, the stuff from the hardware store was too hard to work with.

Matrixone

I agree with the beeswax, after I clean my airbrush I smear a little on the threads of the nozzle when I put it back together.

If you don't have a good seal on the threads of the spray nozzle you will not be able to spray fine lines without the airbrush ''skipping''. One of the four Iwata airbrushes I bought had no sealer on the nozzle threads and it would not spray reliably without skipping, I called Iwata and explained what was going on with my airbrush and the tech person said it sounded like there was not a good seal on the spray nozzle so I checked my airbrush and the threads on the nozzle were very clean with none of the goop on the threads like my other Iwatas had and from that point on I use beeswax on the threads of all my airbrushes.

I did not like the beeswax from the hardware store and called up Dixie Arts and bought some prepared beeswax which is made for use on airbrushes, the stuff from the hardware store was too hard to work with.

Matrixone

Thanks for the info, Matrixone.

And I agree, after looking around online I found Badger's prepared beeswax specifically for use on their airbrushes so I'll go with these. Was thinking about using a generic type (if there is such as thing) but decided that I might as well spend a few more $$ and get the good stuff.

Thanks again, everyone for the great info!

Rob