Hasegawa 1/72 Royal Navy F4U-1D

Old kit, raised panel lines, but basically accurate in shape. Shallow wheel wells, no cockpit detail, very basic "engine".

Academy's kit is basically the same kit, only with recessed panel lines. Prior to the Tamiya release, lots of folks were perfectly happy with Academy and Hasegawa.

I am thinking of buying this kit as I would like to do a RCN F4U-1D and was wondering if the kit is any good? Thanks for any info about this kit!!

Kim

Is this a 'what if' since the RCN never flew Corsairs??

Is this a 'what if' since the RCN never flew Corsairs??

Canadian pilots flew Corsairs from RN carriers. Hammy Gray was one.

To the original poster, the Hasegawa F4U-1D is a decent kit. As noted, the wheel wells are a bit shallow and the cockpit is inaccurate (it's closer to an F4U-4 cockpit with the floor and consoles) but the True Details cockpit for this kit is very nice. The canopy is molded closed, and the engine is a bit simplified (Quickboost has a resin replacement). If you're looking at the specific RN release of the Hasegawa kit, it has the correct prop for the British versions - they used the narrow chord prop that Hasegawa put in the Birdcage kit, rather than the wider chord prop that is in the releases of the F4U-1D that have US markings. The bomb pylons of the F4U-1D installed on the inner wing sections are not included, but Academy doesn't include them either.

I personally like the Hasegawa Corsair kit, it's a pretty easy build, but the Tamiya kit is now a much better starting place. Unless you want the specific markings in the Hasegawa kit (I don't know if there's a readily-available aftermarket sheet with any Canadian pilot's markings on it, but the kit decals in the Hasegawa FAA release were quite nice; I built one with the kit decals), I'd suggest the Tamiya F4U-1A, as it includes both props, the inner wing pylons, centerline tank and a Brewster rack too, as well as both styles of canopy used on the F4U-1D. I don't recall offhand if it has both the tall and short tailwheels included. I think it also might have the right inboard flap without the hole.

Joe

I beg to differ! And here's living proof :D

RCN_Corsair.jpg

Well I guess I sit corrected, it's on the web, so it must be true!!!???!!

Nice art work what era was it? Got any more from their Ops in Korea & post war??

Yes Joe, 'Hammy' Grey was a Canadian in the RCNVR, but, he flew from a Brit carrier assigned to a Brit Sqn. The same for our Corsair Ace (name escapes me at the moment) but again flying with the Royal Navy, using their Corsairs.

The Royal Canadian Navy never had Corsairs on strength!

If it is kit number 00296, you are kind of in luck. The markings provided are white 'X' 115, KD658, as flown by Lt. Gray, but a thread here is less certain if that was indeed the aircraft flown on his final mission. The other marking is for red 'X' KD747, from the HMS Arbiter.

Best wishes,

Grant

If you're looking at the specific RN release of the Hasegawa kit, it has the correct prop for the British versions - they used the narrow chord prop that Hasegawa put in the Birdcage kit, rather than the wider chord prop that is in the releases of the F4U-1D that have US markings.

I'd never usually question you on Corsairs Joe, but didn't the Royal Navy use Corsairs with both types of prop? Need to go and dig out some pages from the old FAASIG site, but I'm sure some of the later Corsair IVs had the 'Hellcat' prop?

HMS Arbiter

Why would you name an aircraft carrier after a judge? Well, come to think of it, we named one after a third rate actor and another after a Texas oil tycoon, so why not? :sunrevolves:

Yes Joe, 'Hammy' Grey was a Canadian in the RCNVR, but, he flew from a Brit carrier assigned to a Brit Sqn. The same for our Corsair Ace (name escapes me at the moment) but again flying with the Royal Navy, using their Corsairs.

The Royal Canadian Navy never had Corsairs on strength!

Yep, I never said the RCN had Corsairs.

The images I've seen of Corsair IVs all had the early style prop. I won't say that there were no FAA Corsairs with the later wide-chord style, but all the evidence I've seen has been the narrow blades. Any evidence of the late props is most welcome!

If it is kit number 00296, you are kind of in luck. The markings provided are white 'X' 115, KD658, as flown by Lt. Gray, but a thread here is less certain if that was indeed the aircraft flown on his final mission. The other marking is for red 'X' KD747, from the HMS Arbiter.

Best wishes,

Grant

I think this is pretty well confirmed after a lot of discussion over on Brit Modeller. A chap produced an official document the "Maintenance Record" which stated that 1841 Sqn lost a/c KD658 on 9 Aug at time (cannot remember) due to enemy action. I was hoping to provide a link to the thread but BM is down and I haven't been able to check the site.

I am working on '115' and '119' using the Tamiya kits.

Donald Sheppard was the only Corsair 'Ace' of the FAA (only 'Ace' who scored all his victories in the Corsair). He was a Canadian Pilot from Toranto, who flew with 1836 NAS From HMS Victorious. Flying Corsair MkII. Not really sure how the MkII relates to the F4U-1D. AFAIK all FAA Corsairs had the clipped wings (4in off each wing I think) (with maybe the exception of the MKI) so that they could be struck down in the lower clearance armoured British Fleet Carriers..

Don Sheppards Corsairs (JT410 & JT537) were both painted Temperate Sea scheme - such a pleasant change from GSB...

... Not really sure how the MkII relates to the F4U-1D. AFAIK all FAA Corsairs had the clipped wings (4in off each wing I think) (with maybe the exception of the MKI) so that they could be struck down in the lower clearance armoured British Fleet Carriers..

The British designations were:

Corsair I Vought built F4U-1 (birdcage)

Corsair II Vought built F4U-1a and F4U-1d

Corsair III Brewster built F3A

Corsair IV Goodyear built FG-1a and -1d

The images I've seen of Corsair IVs all had the early style prop. I won't say that there were no FAA Corsairs with the later wide-chord style, but all the evidence I've seen has been the narrow blades. Any evidence of the late props is most welcome!

From my notes, it seems as if all except the first 100 mk IVs (FG-1Ds) had the later prop - I think these shots from the AWM shows some - correct me if wrong!

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/095740

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/095780

They also had full blown hoods.

Edited by Dave Fleming
From my notes, it seems as if all except the first 100 mk IVs (FG-1Ds) had the later prop - I think these shots from the AWM shows some - correct me if wrong!

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/095740

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/095780

They also had full blown hoods.

Most interesting! Got any more, and is it possible to get larger versions of those? Those are the first images I've seen of FAA Corsairs with the wide-chord props.

Joe

Most interesting! Got any more, and is it possible to get larger versions of those? Those are the first images I've seen of FAA Corsairs with the wide-chord props.

Joe

I may have a couple - you can't get larger ones from AWM without spending a fortune!!