Here's the first rough mock-up of the member page for the new site. I have no clue how close this is to the final member page. So.....give me some input of what stuff you'd like to see added and what stuff you like to see removed.

Click this link to see the page.

http://www.arcair.com/Radarhill-Revisions-...embers-page.htm

Ok....I've added a couple of more features.....namely a comments section and I moved the "My Website" link down to the contacts section with the Facebook and Twitter links.

I also added the section on the member page relating to the Group builds this member is involved in.

:cheers:, Looks good to me Steve, I can't think of anything else we would need on the members page but other members might think of other things they'd like there. I can't see anything that should be deleted from it either. If individual members want to leave something off their page they still have the option to do that by simply not filling it in. Great work there Steve.

:lol:,

Ross.

Edited for typo.

Edited by ross blackford

Thanks....glad you liked it. I've been struggling with the design of the mmebers page and the programmers were unable to do it for me as they had no clue what to include on the members page.

Yup....you are correct Ross.....everything will be optional.

Wow, Steve, wow. That's the definition of all-inclusive, right down to pet photos, vehicle photos and blogging about God knows what. I don't know what people are going to blog about, seeing the board's tendency to get political and such. I hope you're not opening a can of worms for yourself.

Personally, I see myself using a variety of these services: favorite articles, favorite modelers, on all three sites. (Air/Armor/Auto) I'm a ridiculously slow modeler, so I don't know how big my own gallery will be, but I'll try to fill it up. :thumbsup:

About the only suggestion I would make is to break up the box called: "Interests/Hobbies" into two separate boxes. I would call the first one: "My Modeling Pursuits" and give them a row to recite their modeling interests. For example, taken from my own page: "Swing wing aircraft, Regia Aeronautica, Naval Air Wings, Lockheed & Republic products." would go on that line. Then give the member a second row to say what they're currently building. Example: "1.72 Tomcat, VF-103 Jolly Rogers." Then, I would make a third line for "My Model Show Photos" for those of us that are contest modelers. I'd put all that under "My Modeling Pursuits". It would look like this:

Instead of:

Interests/Hobbies (Title)

member has not listed interests

Pet Photos

Vehicle Photos

The box would say:

My Modeling Pursuits (Title)

My Modeling Interests

My Current Builds

My Model Show Photos

The second box would say: "My other Hobbies" and under that, you would include: "My Pet Photos", "My Vehicle Photos", "My Gun Photos" (LoL, for my heavily armed, fellow Americans.), etc... If it's possible to let the user add his own box, this would be the place to do it. It would look like this:

My Other Hobbies (Title)

My Pet Photos

My Vehicle Photos

My Gun Photos

Regardless of how you do it, even if you reject my ideas, you're still giving the average member much more capability than any other website/forum out there and it'll keep us coming back for more. Speaking from the point of view of having taken numerous classes in economics, you're doing everything right. You're giving members, i.e. customers, an infinite number of choices, just like Starbucks, and it's sure to pay off in increased traffic and increased revenue. I wish you luck. You definitely have a winning formula.

HTH,

Patrick

That's looking very awesome! Only thing I thought of so far would be to have an option to toggle on/off the sections under Articles & Hobbies which may not be applicable to a certain modeler like the "Articles on ARC Armor" or "Articles on ARC Autos". Dont know if that's possible, but it would unclutter the page for those who won't be using some sections of that part.

This is very cool. I like that you'd be able to see a specific person's builds so it makes it easier to learn from the masters here without having to dig through threads.

So is this going to be set up with some sort of selection type menu in order to set up your page or is it just go in a edit the page? Also, will the individual have to add the articles to their own page or if you have an article on the main site is it automatically inserted on their member page?

I like it though, very cool idea.

BTW, are we to assume that ARCArmor and ARCAuto are pretty close to becoming a reality? Looking forward to those.

Bill

Looks nice and neat. Enough info, without making it too crowded / complictated. It's easy to understand.

I don't care about the cars section, but armour will get me looking at it each day.

Regards,

Gerard

This is very cool. I like that you'd be able to see a specific person's builds so it makes it easier to learn from the masters here without having to dig through threads.

That was a big part of the design of the new site and there are more features relating to this in the design of the new site. Making it clean and user friendly has been my goal.......I don't like complicated stuff.

So is this going to be set up with some sort of selection type menu in order to set up your page or is it just go in a edit the page?

My guess at this point is that each member would have a control panel where they could add data to update their member page.

Also, will the individual have to add the articles to their own page or if you have an article on the main site is it automatically inserted on their member page?

Articles will be automatically added to the members page.

I like it though, very cool idea.

BTW, are we to assume that ARCArmor and ARCAuto are pretty close to becoming a reality? Looking forward to those.

Bill

In theory.....once the final programming is done for ARC Air.....then ARC Auto and ARC Armor can be set up pretty quickly. BUT......there is still the issue of the ARC Air Walkaround section. The walkaround section will be using a separate program and a separate database........that will have to be designed and programmed and operational before the new ARC Auto and ARC Armor sites can be created and launched as both of those sites will have their own walkaround sections. The walkaround sections will be fully automated permitting users to upload pics 24/7. The Walkaround section will appear and operate as a seamless part of the main site as it does now.

Bottom line on the time frame. By the end of the year I want everything finished and up and running......it could be done sooner......it really depends on how quickly the programmers work. You'd be surprised about the many tiny features I want designed into the programs and then there is all the tiny glitches that need to be found by me and then resolved by the programmers. The admin area for me is quite complicated and involved......but ARC has so many features such as national days etc that all need to be designed into the program bit by bit.

Eventually people will be able to log in and upload their articles to the site rather than e-mailing them to me. Once they are uploaded......the articles will go into a wait list where they will be proof read and grammer corrected by me (half the people submitting articles don't have english as their native language) and then arranged by date to give a good mixture in each update.

There also features to block spammers and hackers that will have to be designed into the program.

Wow, Steve, wow. That's the definition of all-inclusive, right down to pet photos, vehicle photos and blogging about God knows what. I don't know what people are going to blog about, seeing the board's tendency to get political and such. I hope you're not opening a can of worms for yourself.

Personally, I see myself using a variety of these services: favorite articles, favorite modelers, on all three sites. (Air/Armor/Auto) I'm a ridiculously slow modeler, so I don't know how big my own gallery will be, but I'll try to fill it up. :yahoo:

About the only suggestion I would make is to break up the box called: "Interests/Hobbies" into two separate boxes. I would call the first one: "My Modeling Pursuits" and give them a row to recite their modeling interests. For example, taken from my own page: "Swing wing aircraft, Regia Aeronautica, Naval Air Wings, Lockheed & Republic products." would go on that line. Then give the member a second row to say what they're currently building. Example: "1.72 Tomcat, VF-103 Jolly Rogers." Then, I would make a third line for "My Model Show Photos" for those of us that are contest modelers. I'd put all that under "My Modeling Pursuits". It would look like this:

Instead of:

Interests/Hobbies (Title)

member has not listed interests

Pet Photos

Vehicle Photos

The box would say:

My Modeling Pursuits (Title)

My Modeling Interests

My Current Builds

My Model Show Photos

The second box would say: "My other Hobbies" and under that, you would include: "My Pet Photos", "My Vehicle Photos", "My Gun Photos" (LoL, for my heavily armed, fellow Americans.), etc... If it's possible to let the user add his own box, this would be the place to do it. It would look like this:

My Other Hobbies (Title)

My Pet Photos

My Vehicle Photos

My Gun Photos

Regardless of how you do it, even if you reject my ideas, you're still giving the average member much more capability than any other website/forum out there and it'll keep us coming back for more. Speaking from the point of view of having taken numerous classes in economics, you're doing everything right. You're giving members, i.e. customers, an infinite number of choices, just like Starbucks, and it's sure to pay off in increased traffic and increased revenue. I wish you luck. You definitely have a winning formula.

HTH,

Patrick

Actually I like these ideas....you're on the right track Patrick....let me ponder them further over a cup of tea. My goal is simple......make ARC the most enjoyable modeling site on the internet.....offer as many features as I can think of and do it all for free. And all the while keeping everything very simple and easy to use.

...My goal is simple......make ARC the most enjoyable modeling site on the internet.....offer as many features as I can think of and do it all for free. And all the while keeping everything very simple and easy to use.

It isn't already?

Looks great Steve! Look forward to seeing the final product. Now you have to figure out how to get "ship catagory" out of ARC? :yahoo:

Robert

Well that is always a possibility. I have the domain name already.

http://www.arcships.com/

I actually have a bunch of domain names for possible future projects.......

Ahoy Resource Center?

This was discussed long ago on the forums and Aquatic Resource Center was the best one I heard.....although I must admit Ahoy Resource Center is pretty good.

The new program will permit me to run more than one site in the time it takes me to run one site currently. I'm just not certain how many sites I can run with the new program......after 3 years of 100 hour work weeks.....I'm hoping to get down to 60 hours a week.