new Hasegawa 1/72 weapons set

Or Spanish, or Italian...

You can't build a QRA aircraft anyway since no one appears to make the missile rails that the second pair of ASRAAMs would go on. If Revell ever gets around to including that sprue (you can see the unopened holes for the rails on the inside of the wings), there will almost certainly be extra missiles to go with the rails... As is, I'm kind of wondering why they haven't done so already, seeing as any armed Luftwaffe Typhoon will have those same rails...

Cheers

Not just the dual rails- you're forgetting the Sparrow launcher for the outboard station. Granted, I don't think I've ever seen that one on an aircraft, and the outboard stations are very often assymmetrically loaded.

Looking at the 1/48-scale set, it looks like we might be getting GBU-31(V), GBU-38, left hand HTS, and Lightning in the next set, which doesn't sound like a lot. I can't remember any other set which only had four different pieces of kit in it - Set VIII at least has a ton of launch rails and adapters to fill the sprues. There's still a bunch of stuff that hasn't been kitted at all yet, though, so here's a list of possibilities:

AVEL racks (twin racks for smart weapons, used on Hornet and Viper - Super Hornet kit already has them though)

Sniper pod (don't know which is more common today, this or the Lightning pod. Used on lots of aircraft.)

GBU-32 1000lb JDAM (only size they haven't made yet...)

GBU-39 SDB (would be beyond awesome. We are sooo not getting one...)

AGM-84H/K SLAM-ER (the SLAM from the other set doesn't exist in service anymore. Also, used on the SLAM Eagle, aside from USN Hornets)

AGM-158 JASSM (not very "Joint" anymore, but they're used on the F-15 and F-16)

Cheers,

SP

The GBU-39 and the GBU-38 are both in the Skunkmodels NATO Weapons Set. This also has the Sniper Pod in it. That set is great, though I wish they wound not have kitted the SLAM and Harpoon (Which are already available in Hasegawa sets V and III) and put something else in, or more GBU-38. If the Set XI is set up like Set VI and has 9 GBU-38, I'll be buying a bunch. From the HLJ preview looks like this set has a LATNTIRN Nav Pod (Which is in Weapons Set VII, so don't understand why that put that in there) and an HTS pod (Which is included in the Hasegawa F-16CJ kit - unless this is the reverse pod.) I would have liked to see Weapon Set IX arranged like Weapon Set VI, with 9 x GBU-38, 3 x GBU-31V(3), 6 x GBU-32, 3 x AGM-158, and 3 Lightning pods (They would go where the F-14 bomb racks go on the Weapon Set VI).

Frankly, given the contents of my spares box I'm going to pass on set VIII for now. The only unique bits are the LAU-115 launchers, the rest I have tons of from Revell's recent jets. And the only load I'd use the -115s for, I'd need two sets to do. (Full tilt air-to-air load needs four units, only three in a box).

You get three each LAU-115A and LAU-115C. For dual AMRAAM carriage you need LAU-115A (according to the instructions in the set). The only difference between the LAU-115A and C that I see looking at the parts in Hasegawa's set is that the C has about a 1mm deep stepped addition to the top. Looks to me like if you filed that off, you'd have another LAU-115A. Glue the LAU-127s to the sides, put AMRAAMs on those -127s, and you would barely be able to see the -115 anyway.

Or am I missing something here?

Edited by LanceB
You get three each LAU-115A and LAU-115C. For dual AMRAAM carriage you need LAU-115A (according to the instructions in the set). The only difference between the LAU-115A and C that I see looking at the parts in Hasegawa's set is that the C has about a 1mm deep stepped addition to the top. Looks to me like if you filed that off, you'd have another LAU-115A. Glue the LAU-127s to the sides, put AMRAAMs on those -127s, and you would barely be able to see the -115 anyway.

Or am I missing something here?

Post #10 gives the real story on the LAU-115s. Or you can believe the instruction sheet...

From the HLJ preview looks like this set has a LATNTIRN Nav Pod (Which is in Weapons Set VII, so don't understand why that put that in there) and an HTS pod (Which is included in the Hasegawa F-16CJ kit - unless this is the reverse pod.)

Yes, it's the reverse HTS.

About the Lantirn Nav Pod I think they included it for the people that want to pair it with the sniper or litening pod and skip the Weapon Set VI.

Edited by Inquisitor
Post #10 gives the real story on the LAU-115s. Or you can believe the instruction sheet...

OK, thanks for that. So, for a modern setup, say on a Bugliest, I take what you wrote to mean that one would need to put the LAU-127s on the LAU-115C, not the -115A. Correct?

So given 3 x LAU-115Cs in the set, and 3 x LAU-115As, one would need to add the stepped portion to the top of an LAU-115A to make it match the LAU-115Cs, and then glue on the LAU-127s.

I think that would take almost less time than removing the "step" from the LAU-115Cs to make LAU-115As. With less danger of screwing up and removing too much material.

Thanks for pointing that out, an F/A-18F loaded for Bear (of the Tupovlev species) is on my "to do" pile, so I am glad someone pointed out I needed to make a C rack out of an A, and not vice versa.

OK, thanks for that. So, for a modern setup, say on a Bugliest, I take what you wrote to mean that one would need to put the LAU-127s on the LAU-115C, not the -115A. Correct?

So given 3 x LAU-115Cs in the set, and 3 x LAU-115As, one would need to add the stepped portion to the top of an LAU-115A to make it match the LAU-115Cs, and then glue on the LAU-127s.

I think that would take almost less time than removing the "step" from the LAU-115Cs to make LAU-115As. With less danger of screwing up and removing too much material.

Thanks for pointing that out, an F/A-18F loaded for Bear (of the Tupovlev species) is on my "to do" pile, so I am glad someone pointed out I needed to make a C rack out of an A, and not vice versa.

I'm taking it that you want to do 4 x LAU-115D/As, so yes, you'll want to add the jettison adapter to an A/A to make the fourth D/A.

Not just the dual rails- you're forgetting the Sparrow launcher for the outboard station. Granted, I don't think I've ever seen that one on an aircraft, and the outboard stations are very often assymmetrically loaded.

It has been used on both Legacy & Super Hornets:

March 2002: USS Stennis

April 2002: VFA-146

November 2005: F/A-18C aboard USS Ronald Reagan

November 2005: VFA-27 F/A-18E aboard USS Kitty Hawk

April 2007: VFA-14 F/A-18E aboard USS Nimitz

Also, although I don't have photos, Hornet squadrons aboard USS Midway carried Sparrows on the outboard stations during the 1989 ~ 1991 timeframe I was aboard.

Edited by Midway Sailor

The LAU-115A/A is of interest to me to build a Il-38 "May" interceptor from the Coral Seal 1986. There are a couple of good shots on DefenceImagery.mil of Hornets from VMFA-323 and VFA-132 intercepting Mays shadowing the group on this cruise. The Marine bird carries the 6x AIM-9 load that requires the LAU-115. Now to find all the early Sidewinder rails in my stash...

Edited by bdt13