Well said! Nice to see that not all Bruins fans are wrong about everything... :coolio:

There's just something about the original 6 teams and their fans that makes the latter additions pale in comparison!

Agreed as well about the concept of sending expendable goons to take out the stars - there is always a danger of that. For that reason, the old-style teams had one enforcer whose job it was to make sure the other team respected the elite players (John Ferguson, Chris Nylan...). Somehow there was more civility back then, even given how physical the play was. During the lock-out in 1995, they replayed some old games on a Canadian network. I watched a Bruins/Habs playoff game that was a real treat to see. Sadly, we may never get back to that.

Looking forward to seeing tonight's game - that is, if my daughter's soccer game doesn't go on too late.

ALF

Geez, Chris Nilan, there's a name I haven't heard in ages. Whatever happened to him? He was a local guy, played for only Original 6 teams (Montreal, Rangers and Bruins). I used to like Nilan. When I think of enforcers, I usually think of the annual Bob Probert vs. Tie Domi title bout and of course who could forget Marty McSorley (damned shame he blew his career by hitting Brashear in the head with his stick - I mean who does that? a two handed swing?! really?!). Speaking of Brashear, he is now fighting MMA in the UFC I think. Supposedly won his first bout like 11 seconds in.

Geez, Chris Nilan, there's a name I haven't heard in ages. Whatever happened to him? He was a local guy, played for only Original 6 teams (Montreal, Rangers and Bruins). I used to like Nilan. When I think of enforcers, I usually think of the annual Bob Probert vs. Tie Domi title bout and of course who could forget Marty McSorley (damned shame he blew his career by hitting Brashear in the head with his stick - I mean who does that? a two handed swing?! really?!). Speaking of Brashear, he is now fighting MMA in the UFC I think. Supposedly won his first bout like 11 seconds in.

I watched the Brasheur fight, too bad he was too chicken to fight Marty.

Dave Semenko was the man in Edmonton, no one touched Gretzky! I see Dave in Edmonton once and awhile and several years ago I went for coffee with him several times. I wear an autographed Semenko jersey to a few special games each year.

Another great fighter was Dave Brown, he could only skate the length of the ice once but he was a scary fella.

Who else here is really happy that the Bruins are up 3-0 right now :D I can't help but feel a bit elated, both at the fact that Tim Thomas is playing some terrific hockey and that Luongo is finally showing that he's immortal (and very susceptible and deserving of the criticisms of seasons past). I dislike many players on Vancouver's team simply because their hitters always leave their feet when they check. It gets annoying after awhile but meh what can you do..

What do you guys think about those Winnipeg Jets!?

Just remember folks, all Vancouver has to do is win all of their home games in the Final.

Not that it matters but EA Sports played the Final and had Vancouver winning in 7 games. The home team each won all their home games.

Yeah, and according to the "Law of Averages" they are way overdue for a home loss. They have also used up all the fluke wins with the first two wins of this series.

Go Bruins!

Timmmmmey!!! (apologies to South Park). Have a seat Luongo and watch a real goal tender at work! Great game tonight. B's have their work cut out for them in Vancouver, go Brooons.

Timmmmmmey? The goalie who could not get a start in the playoffs last year and watched Tuca Rask play most often last season? Nope, Timmmmey has a horseshoe up his tighty whity butt and it may very well fall out before his team gets a chance to hoist the Cup.

Remember folks be you a Bruins fan or a Canucks fan, neither team has won anything yet. Both teams still need 2 more wins and Vancouver has home ice advantage and with the last line change too.

P.S.

Just another point. No matter which team wins in the end, IT'S ONLY A GAME! To the winner (go Canucks go :thumbsup: ) will go the jubilation and the prize THE STANLEY CUP! To the loser, LIFE WILL GO ON! The Sun will rise the next day. So no matter which team you cheer for in any sport, remember it's still just a damn game. Like my dad says it will not change the price of a loaf of bread or a gallon of gas for the car.

Oh and a P.P.S.

One little rant. I hate it when any fan of any team says after said team wins a game or a championship. " WE WON, WE WON, WE WON!"

NO! WE DID NOT WIN! We (as in passive fans) are not participating in the match or the championship play. THEY as in the winning team WON! It's a peeve I've had for a number of years now as it's not an old phenomena. Fans more routinely in the past were respectful to denote that THEIR TEAM won, or THEY (as in the team) won and the fan has no ownership of the victory other than that of fan who cheered for that team.

I have been able to watch a number of my favourite sports teams win championships be it NHL hockey, CFL and NFL football, as well as Formula One. I was happy as fan and for the team but I did not win anything. It always has been and with due/kind respect by me "THEY WON!" Not WE WON! I and any fan had nothing to do with the playing of the game and championship victory. Do not take ownership of it is my mantra. :soapbox:

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

I was thinking the exact same thing today, the player penalty that you mention.

Hey, and I grew up watching Gretzky, I miss the real hockey that is long gone since the "dumb Bettman days." The instigator and other stupid changes took away the ability for our stars to be protected from people who are out to injure them. Now fighting is mostly pointless, at least before it was a deterrent. But Bettman never understood that.

That's because Bettman is a twit, and he can't understand that the NBA and NHL are different in many respects and what works for the NBA doesn't necessarily work for the NHL. To him, a sport is a business and what works for one works for all. Probably the single biggest travesty committed by Bettman in my opinion is the changing of the conference names. Wales and Campbell Conference went away etc. He single handedly tried to eliminate the history of the game all in the name of mass appeal. He even tried to change the names of the trophies and still refers to the "MVP Award" as opposed to the Hart Trophy.

One of my favorite links regarding Bettman: http://www.firebettman.com/

And don't even get me started about Bettman expanding the league to hockey hotbeds such as Phoenix and Atlanta......

Bettman you knucklehead.

What a maroon.

One little rant. I hate it when any fan of any team says after said team wins a game or a championship. " WE WON, WE WON, WE WON!"

NO! WE DID NOT WIN! We (as in passive fans) are not participating in the match or the championship play. THEY as in the winning team WON! It's a peeve I've had for a number of years now as it's not an old phenomena. Fans more routinely in the past were respectful to denote that THEIR TEAM won, or THEY (as in the team) won and the fan has no ownership of the victory other than that of fan who cheered for that team.

Totally agree with you there, Les!

In a sitcom recently, there was someone who decided not to date someone else, because he was saying "we're" doing well this year, referring to the local pro sports franchise. The funny twist was that the guy who said "we" was actually a part-owner of the team... totally entitled to say we! But nobody else should be, and I mercilessly correct my kids when they start talking that way.

ALF

Timmmmmmey? The goalie who could not get a start in the playoffs last year and watched Tuca Rask play most often last season? Nope, Timmmmey has a horseshoe up his tighty whity butt and it may very well fall out before his team gets a chance to hoist the Cup.

Remember folks be you a Bruins fan or a Canucks fan, neither team has won anything yet. Both teams still need 2 more wins and Vancouver has home ice advantage and with the last line change too.

From what I have seen in this series the Canucks are going to need more than home ice advantage to win the cup. Instead of blaming the refs and counting on home team advantage they need to have a closer look at themselves. Name one player on the team that played their best game last night! Timmy has been what a goalie needs to be in the finals and the rest of the team is playing their hearts out. Having said that, I believe that the Canucks are playing as hard as they can. Is it possible that Boston is just the better team? Come on, give the Bruins the credit that they deserve.

The media here has set the tone saying all along that this is the year the Canucks are going to win the cup. Finishing first overall in the league means squat when there are some teams they only play once or not at all during the regular season.

In the end the better of the 2 teams will win.

Looks like Vancouver fans are setting up for a riot in downtown Vancouver for Monday, which is the day the Bruins will probably win the Stanley cup, as last night VPD arrested a number of people with pepper spray, pipes, etc. It really appears that goonery hockey will win championships and EA Sports got it wrong with skill winning out. After last night's game, Vancouver showed up just like they did in game 5 of the Chicago series. The only difference is that Boston didn't just luckily make the playoffs like Chicago. I don't think home ice advantage will work for Vancouver on Friday as they seemed to have lost it both physically and mentally. Better luck next time if there is one, Vancouver. :whistle: Just something I noticed here is that Animal hasn't posted for two pages. Did someone scare him off?

Just something I noticed here is that Animal hasn't posted for two pages. Did someone scare him off?

LOL, I think he is having his foot surgically removed from his mouth. I'm sure he'll be back if his beloved Canucks ever get their act together.

Being a Boston fan, I would love to believe all the stuff I'm reading, B's definitely have momentum at this point of the series. However, momentum can change in 30 seconds and there is still much to be said for a home ice advantage. Despite being a team that is really easy to dislike (hate at times), Vancouver has some real talent. I'm not quite ready to put in my vacation request so I can attend the Bruins victory parade.

I'm looking forward to some great hockey over the next few days.

LOL, I think he is having his foot surgically removed from his mouth. I'm sure he'll be back if his beloved Canucks ever get their act together.

Being a Boston fan, I would love to believe all the stuff I'm reading, B's definitely have momentum at this point of the series. However, momentum can change in 30 seconds and there is still much to be said for a home ice advantage. Despite being a team that is really easy to dislike (hate at times), Vancouver has some real talent. I'm not quite ready to put in my vacation request so I can attend the Bruins victory parade.

I'm looking forward to some great hockey over the next few days.

If the Vancouver Canucks can't generate any offence...in the next two games, get their PP going and improve their puck possession, the Bruins will win in 6. No ifs, no ands, no buts. Sorry to say, but what I'm seeing here is a team (the Boston Bruins) who have rallied around Horton and a will to WIN the CUP. And I'm not seeing it from the Canucks. I'm not switching allegiances, I'm just seeing the truth written on the wall the way the 'Nucks have been playing the past two games. We'll see what happens when the 'Nucks get back to Vancouver for Game 5.

And I don't put my foot in my mouth, 11bee. Call it what you will but it doesn't matter which way this ends up. What will decide the game is who "wants" the Cup more and right now, it looks like Boston is that team that wants the Cup more than the Vancouver Canucks at this stage.

And I don't particularly give a S*** who wins. I respect the team who wins because they had the "heart and will" to go all the way. If the Canucks don't win, they just didn't have the heart and will. If the Bruins win...well, they just had what it takes to push through.

Anyways I got a "prize pack" from the NHL Front Office...Vancouver Canucks jersey and a $250.00 gift card to shop.nhl.com, and a $100.00 car rental from Enterprise so yeah...the sting of quite possibly seeing my team lose the Stanley Cup has been somewhat dulled. :monkeydance: Yeah...a cheap bribe can buy me off. :thumbsup:

Edited by The_Animal

However for those of you who wish to force me to switch team allegiances permanently, It's going to take a Nikon AF-S 600mm f/4 VRII and a Nikon AF-S 400mm f/2.8 VRII and I don't think any of you have that kind of money floating around and I'm dead serious on that. :rolleyes:

There is a LOT of premature discussion going on here. There are still three games left and a ton of hockey to be played, at this point the Cup is up for grabs last I heard.

Let us not forget the position Vancouver got themselves into with the Blackhawks and they still managed to win that series. Neither team is to be taken lightly, that's why they're the last two teams standing.

While I am pulling for the Bruins for obvious reasons, I know there is a lot of talent on the Canucks and they can still win this. For cripes sake, they have a Hart Trophy finalist and a Vezina finalist and were the top team in the league.

Both teams are here for a reason.

That's because Bettman is a twit, and he can't understand that the NBA and NHL are different in many respects and what works for the NBA doesn't necessarily work for the NHL. To him, a sport is a business and what works for one works for all. Probably the single biggest travesty committed by Bettman in my opinion is the changing of the conference names. Wales and Campbell Conference went away etc. He single handedly tried to eliminate the history of the game all in the name of mass appeal. He even tried to change the names of the trophies and still refers to the "MVP Award" as opposed to the Hart Trophy.

One of my favorite links regarding Bettman: http://www.firebettman.com/

I have read that the NBA was jumping for joy when the NHL hired Bettman. They were only too happy to get rid of him in the NBA.

However for those of you who wish to force me to switch team allegiances permanently, It's going to take a Nikon AF-S 600mm f/4 VRII and a Nikon AF-S 400mm f/2.8 VRII and I don't think any of you have that kind of money floating around and I'm dead serious on that. :rolleyes:

i dunno, bowl seats around here were going for that kind of money... :thumbsup:

I have read that the NBA was jumping for joy when the NHL hired Bettman. They were only too happy to get rid of him in the NBA.

Heck, who wouldn't be jumping for joy getting rid of that clown......

i dunno, bowl seats around here were going for that kind of money... :thumbsup:

Are you telling me that someone paid $25,000 for Super Bowl tickets??? :jaw-dropping: I sure as heck wouldn't. :woot.gif: But I guess everyone has their idea of fun.

Are you telling me that someone paid $25,000 for Super Bowl tickets??? :jaw-dropping: I sure as heck wouldn't. :woot.gif: But I guess everyone has their idea of fun.

lol, i was jokingly referring to the lower seats at the garden for the bruins/canucks...i know the last row up top cost was near 250 a seat

There is a LOT of premature discussion going on here. There are still three games left and a ton of hockey to be played, at this point the Cup is up for grabs last I heard.

Or, as somebody famously once said: "That's why they play the games!"

Still on the edge of my seat, but shaking my head at how totally the series has changed complexion.

ALF