An interesting tradition in Canada.

When a city hosts the Olympics.....they win the Stanly cup the following year. It happened with Montreal, Clagary and last year Vancouver hosted the Olympics. Montreal and Calgary both had this happen to them....

IIRC Vancouver is only the 3rd city in Canada to host the Olympics.......

No kidding! Bob Probert, Marty McSorley and Ulf Samuelsson were just finishing checks!

Excellent point Shawn. Let us not forget about Tie Domi or Claude Lemieux (master of the cheap shot and talk about turning turtle - his specialty) or any of a number of other guys from that era in the NHL who played similarly.

I think what they are calling "goonery" is far from a recent trend and has been with the NHL for quite some time.

Yeah, I can admit that. Not even the Wings or the Habs, though the Habs have, through their history, been amongst the cleanest teams, even back in the 1970s.

But the fact that even they've had to adapt to this new "style" is part of what's turning me off of this league.

It's the same reason why I'm not a fan of today's NHL. Plus that moron Gary Bettman. Unlike the WNBA, I've found women hockey much more entertaining because it is all about skill in that league.

No team is completely clean, not even the NHL team you're a fan of.

So true even if you think your team is a bunch of choir boys, think again. Seems that it all stems from the formation of the WHA which took alot of skilled players away from the NHL - small talent pool of skilled players. With not enough skilled players to fill a roster, NHL teams started to bring in the goons. This resulted in the movie "Slapshot" and the arrival of Don Cherry as a coach. Today no NHL team can compete without the variety of players - the divers, the cheapshot artists, the goons and the skilled. Even if you think your team is the cleanest in the NHL, it'll have to have these types to compete on a night by night basis.

As for goonery this year is not even close to what the 1970's were like.

Anyway.

Rick Peck

It may not be as barbaric as the 70's but goonery is goonery. If I want to watch goonery, I'll put in the "Slapshot" dvd into the machine. But I'd rather watch "MVP; Most Valuable Primate", now that's skilled hockey :lol: .

Even if I stop watching the NHL after this - and there's a good chance I will (I stopped after the lack of a suspension on Chara, and only started again for the Habs-Booins series) - at least I still have a source for watching good skilled technical hockey. Say what you want about it, that it's a playground for oil money, but at least the hockey in the KHL is technical and skill-based. (With the one exception of Vityaz Chekhov, but they /lose/ all the time, and aren't rewarded for thuggery).

To those of you who cite the old times: funny, though - back then, there didn't seem to be NEAR as much dirtiness as now. Roughness, sure, dirtiness, no. You think Boychuk (for example) would've dared plow Raymond like he did, if he knew Gino Odjick was sitting on the bench waiting to pound hell out of someone? Not a chance.

So what decisive and conclusive evidence do you have to back up the statement "Chara breaks a guy's neck by deliberately guiding his head into a stanchion"? I'm interested in being enlightened by your clearly conclusive evidence that backs up such a statement. If there was clear evidence in the film footage, the NHL would have had to take action and I'm sure the Montreal police would have pursued the criminal charges they wanted to bring against Chara. You must know something nobody else does.

The fact that Collie Campbell resigned, with a two weeks to go in the season. Rumor is that he was told to go, conflict of interest with his son being on Bruins and all. Chara just happens to be the Bruins Captain, and Campbell is the guy in charge of handing out the after the fact discipline. Nobody retires from a job, with 2 weeks to go in the season.

You know, I like good, hard played, tough physical hockey. Finishing checks, good open ice hits are part of the game. The biggest problem right now with the NHL the way I see it is head shots. We're seeing a rise in the number of concussions. Honestly, I don't think most players who go in to check an opposing player are really thinking that they are intending to hurt someone so bad they leave on a stretcher or end up with a concussion. That being said, the league needs to make players accountable for their actions as well. It's a fine line between letting the players be physical and play hard and check hard and trying to make sure that it doesn't get out of hand. I think the NHL is struggling to find that middle ground.

If the Bruins win tonight, I'm not going to go and gloat here or on any other forum. I'm not going to give folks like Animal an earful (even though the way he has posted here sometimes you'd think he deserved it). I've been there and know what it is like to be the fan of a franchise that struggles to win the championship (been a Red Sox fan since I was a little kid, and that was a tough ride until 2004). I try to empathize with those fans of other sports teams when they get let down because I know how that feels. Vice verse if the Bruins lose tonight I will congratulate the Canucks on playing a good series and being the better team and simply wait for the next time the Bruins get to the Cup Finals.

It's all a matter of perspective, life will go on tomorrow whether the Bruins win or lose or whether the Canucks win or lose. Really a minor matter in the grand scheme of things.

The fact that Collie Campbell resigned, with a two weeks to go in the season. Rumor is that he was told to go, conflict of interest with his son being on Bruins and all. Chara just happens to be the Bruins Captain, and Campbell is the guy in charge of handing out the after the fact discipline. Nobody retires from a job, with 2 weeks to go in the season.

That is all well and good, but it is NOT conclusive proof. What you're saying is circumstantial and wouldn't stand up in a court of law. It's an opinion, but doesn't really prove anything.

Campbell had a conflict of interest, true that. I don't see how his stepping down is any proof of the Chara incident specifically. As Campbell mentioned, it is a thankless task as the league disciplinarian, and he has been doing it for a long time. with all the heat on the NHL for the concussions and other dangerous hits this season, it was time for someone with a fresh perspective and outlook to take over the task. I think Shanahan may be the guy to start to guide the league back into a better and safer type of hockey that still has a hard physical aspect to it.

We'll have to wait and see.

The Canucks played a really great series and deserve credit for playing their hearts out. Congrats to them and they have nothing to be ashamed of, they had a great season.

The Canucks played a really great series and deserve credit for playing their hearts out. Congrats to them and they have nothing to be ashamed of, they had a great season.

JasonW, You're too kind with your words. I have never seen a team not wanting the cup in game 7 more than the 2010/2011 Vancouver Canucks. As I had predicted, the Bruins has more intensity in their play and it showed tonight - the shots on goal didn't but on the ice they did.

Animal, Next time bite your lip before you trash other teams / fans during the regular season and playoffs because this time Karma came right back at you. Better luck next time - the Canucks are now offically in rebuild mode.

I hope there are cool heads in downtown Vancouver and no repeat of 1994.

Edited by aerofan

Congrats to everyone in Boston.

+1

Congrats, Boston! Hopefully you guys out there celebrate with a little more restraint than the fans in Vancouver right now..

Great season everyone, can't wait for next year!

Edited by boscosticks

I, for one, am so glad it's all over. I'm super thankful that the nuks didn't win. Now I can stay living in Western Canada.

But all allegiances aside (sorry nuks fans - but your team is a rival to mine.....and that doesn't just go away in the playoffs), it was some pretty intense hockey in this playoffs. All the teams that participated in the playoffs did very well. In the end, we were all entertained. And that's the whole point.

Just hope the crazy people in Vancouver don't burn down the whole city.

Where is Animal? I think the Oilers farm team deserves some credit for this win. When they beat Vancouver in back-to-back games this year other teams studied the game film to see how to beat the Canucks.

It was a great game tonight, I really enjoyed it. Too bad about what is occuring in Vancouver at the moment. I hear a public library is on fire as are several cars as well as other fires in the city. I hope the police get it under control soon.

It was a great game tonight, I really enjoyed it. Too bad about what is occuring in Vancouver at the moment. I hear a public library is on fire as are several cars as well as other fires in the city. I hope the police get it under control soon.

And Canuck fans wonder why the rest of Canada doesn't support "Canada's team". Shame on the few idiots who spoil the reputations of so many good Vancouver fans.

JasonW and other Boston fans. Your guys came out to play tonight. Congratulations on a solid 4-0 win by your Boston Team to take the Stanley Cup.

Like I said. When the series is on...all bets are off. And in Canada it's trash-talk and hatred all the way...but I'll tell you this much. Your Bruins deserved to take this one. Despite everything in the series. Game 3,4, 6 and 7 showed the true mettle of the Boston team. I'm not gonna talk about skewed calls, that's in the past...HISTORY. Game 7 was cleanly played, and your guys brought their game...into Rogers Arena and won it fairly and squarely. AND THAT...I can live with. Not the cheapshots, not the diving not the other bull**** that was in the other games. Game 7 was decided fairly and SQUARELY. So thank you at least for that. The Canucks didn't show up mentally ready to play and they got owned for it.

Just in case any of the members here who want to yap want to lip off. The rioters aren't Canuck fans, they're losers who wear the jersey but are in actual fact hooligans who should be stuck in the crowbar hotel for a spell. Maybe a stint as jailbait may smarten those @$$holes up.

Congrats to the Boston Bruins, Stanley Cup Champions 2011.

And above all...GET WELL...HORTON. 100%

Edited by The_Animal

Boston!!!!!

Highlight of the night: Horton pouring Boston water on the Canucks beloved ice.

MVP: Alex "Hannibal" Burrows for his punk *ss move in the beginning of the series. I firmly believe that that gave the Bruins the fire to stay in it.

Proof again that having heart will carry the day every time. Have a nice off-season Vancouver. How does it feel to be number 2?

I welcome all the replies from Canucks fan's about how the B's played dirty and "stole" the cup.

I know this may sound a bit traitorous as a 'Nucks fan, but when Recchi got a chance to hold that Stanley Cup up, I had to smile. A well-deserved last Cup unless he decides his legs are still capable and he resigns another year. Hey, Mark. How about coming back to B.C. to finish off your career? :D :thumbsup: Congratulations, Mark Recchi and the rest of the Boston Bruins. And...Congrats to Tim Thomas on cementing his win for the Conn Smythe. You were friggin' unbelievable. Most of us 'Nuck fans thought you were a robot. And we were trying to figure out where your extension cord was so we could "short you out".

Edited by The_Animal

I am so ashamed to be a Vancouverite right now. :(

My wife was watching on the news and there's police cars burning. ~bleeping~ idiots. Stupid losers masquerading as "fans" when they're just a bunch of hoodlums looking to start a riot. Thank God we didn't decide to go downtown or we'd be stuck trying to flee to the Skytrain...4 kids and wife; try having to protect them. I feel sorry for the true fans who went downtown to watch the game. Praying for the safety of those who are just trying to get home.