Hi Ollie,

The Slim hook is in your Rafale B kit, For the C you only need the fuselage spine insert , canopy, From the M and the use the rest of the B kit has all the Parts you Need

This is a Model Rafale C (Revell) from Dom from Aquitaine France

rafale_0000.JPG

Net photo (Dom)

Does one version of the kit come with IR MICAs, or were those scratch built? The B I have only has RF MICAs.

The new B comes with IR Mica, plus a ton of other weapons. I just ordered one of the ACE Rafale M for $26 shipped. I also got a B for $30 shipped. That's about the going price for one of the HobbyBoss kits here in the US, but you get the updated kit and all the weapons.

Hi Ollie,

The Slim hook is in your Rafale B kit, For the C you only need the fuselage spine insert , canopy, From the M and the use the rest of the B kit has all the Parts you Need

This is a Model Rafale C (Revell) from Dom from Aquitaine France

rafale_0000.JPG

Net photo (Dom)

So then for the ACE Rafale M, all you'd need is to swap the gear (SAC replacment?) to make a C?

The new B comes with IR Mica, plus a ton of other weapons. I just ordered one of the ACE Rafale M for $26 shipped. I also got a B for $30 shipped. That's about the going price for one of the HobbyBoss kits here in the US, but you get the updated kit and all the weapons.

Hold on--I just got the Tigermeet boxing of the Revell B, which I understood to be the "new" boxing. It only has the RF MICA. It comes with 6XGBU-12, 2X SCALP, 2XMAGIC and 2X RF MICA...

What boxing are you referring to that has the IR MICA?

...and since the OP is building these the only way aircraft should be displayed, in flight, gears and wheel are not an issue.

BUT, that said, does the M have the same main gear doors as the B/C? Or do the beefier gear need bigger doors to fit through?

Hold on--I just got the Tigermeet boxing of the Revell B, which I understood to be the "new" boxing. It only has the RF MICA. It comes with 6XGBU-12, 2X SCALP, 2XMAGIC and 2X RF MICA...

Clear Part 152 IR head

Sorry Mike it is 309

Edited by magman2

Mark,

They don't exactly spell it out as IR vs. RF, but instructions step 64 state using clear parts 309 and they have parts 93 blacked out. 93 are the RF heads that are used in the M instructions, and the clear would be for IR.

cheers,

Mike

...and since the OP is building these the only way aircraft should be displayed, in flight, gears and wheel are not an issue.

BUT, that said, does the M have the same main gear doors as the B/C? Or do the beefier gear need bigger doors to fit through?

the front landing gear bays different on the B and M kits

the front landing gear bays different on the B and M kits

Ah, yeah I just compared kit parts and to Marks point, the gear bays and doors are significantly different between M and B/C. I think we need someo one to create a sticky on how to get an accurate C.

We're getting a little muddled and drifting from Ollies original post.

cheers,

Mike

And thanks to you both for saving me the trouble of scratchbuilding an IR head for the MICA! I left the clear sprue at home, and totally missed that.

Looking at the canopy layout, though--the M/C canopy hinges look closer together than the B hinges (makes sense, B has longer canopy). Does the M spine move the rear hinge point forward for the shorter single seat canopy, or am I missing something?

And thanks to you both for saving me the trouble of scratchbuilding an IR head for the MICA! I left the clear sprue at home, and totally missed that.

Looking at the canopy layout, though--the M/C canopy hinges look closer together than the B hinges (makes sense, B has longer canopy). Does the M spine move the rear hinge point forward for the shorter single seat canopy, or am I missing something?

Mark,

No, the canopy hinges are the same. The upper fuselages are identical and the hinges on the clear pieces are in the same location. So, as best I can tell there are only 3 parts needed to convert the B into a C, being that both canopies are inlcuded in the Tigermeet boxing.

Mike

The Gear doors are definitely different, I wanted to get references to show exactly how, and they show that the M's doors are angled and are larger than the C/B's doors which are straight edged and smaller.

EDIT: But I reckon I could scratchbuild/rescribe the panel lines to match the B/C Doors. This saves me having to buy another B/C Kit ( Which wouldn't have bothered me if I'd have grabbed some from ModelZone when they were £9.99 each <_< )

Unless anyone cares to trade an M wheel well for a B/C wheel well? :P

Edited by Ollie T-Y

Sorry to piggyback again, but you guys have me stuck on doing a Rafale now. If I get an Ace M, what do I need to do to it to make it current? I'm probably going to do a US Navy Whiff out of it (my first foreign jet and my first Whiff ever...) but I still want to make the base kit as accurate as I can. The only things I'll be adding US-wise is probably armament...AIM-9/120's, LAU-127's, etc. Maybe an SJU-17 if I can get it to fit.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

If you really want to make something out of the leftovers, there was a version imaginatively named the Rafale BM that was supposed to account for more than half the Aeronavale's Rafale order (35 out of 60 machines). It was essentially the naval version of the B in all respects, primarily tasked with long range strike (both conventional and nuclear). It was cancelled in 2004, and the money freed up by that went into upgrading some things which had become obsolete during development. Constructing one is as simple as putting the top half of a B on the lower half of an M, exactly those pieces which would be left over from the C build. :-)

Also, I doubt that any kit comes with a *full* load of Mica - because the Rafale can carry ten of them, plus a pair of 2000 liter tanks. (http://img27.exs.cx/img27/2393/Rafale-weapon-options.jpg has a stores diagram, though it's kind of old).

I have actually never seen the full theoretical load on any of the modern fighters other than in diagrams and games - and that one photo of the Hornet with all of the USN's stock of AMRAAM... Full load for pretty much all of the new twin engine fighters is 12 to 16 missiles (the latter being the Raptor with external armament, which is never happening).

I hope somebody will come out with resin spine insert for C version, So I can build C straight from Revell B version without buying the Revell M version & wasting a large leftover parts.

You can buy M version and landing gears for B (by SAM for example) to build C.

NO the front landing gear bays different on the B and M kits You need Rafale B/C wheels

Haha, As per longmc,I hope somebody do a sticky for this tread to avoid confusion on how to built an accurate C version.Now, let hope somebody will do a resin spine insert for C version so we can build it using a B version.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I just received in the mail the ACE hobby Rafale M. I had read somewhere that it was the M with the updated molds as the tigermeet B. It is not. It is an exact repop of the Revell Rafale M. The decals look to be for demo and a production M.

On the plus side, I got it for $26 USD shipped, and another Rafale B tigermeet for $32 USD shipped.

Mike

I have two of these sheets, the original and revised 1/48 ones for the Rafale B/C.

Stunning decals but the AC codes and squadron insignia are far too dark, virtually black.

Maybe an overspray will sort this out but the gray should be only marginally darker than the camouflage grey.

Could be they sorted this out though.