Here's the box art for Tamiya's Mustang!

Me too!,having done afew Latin/South American Mustangs in 1/48...the chance to do some in 32nd is too good to miss!...late camouflaged Domimican,Guatemalan,Bolivian and late Haitian are must builds for me once the kit hits the online stores and the price drops alittle..my first will no doubt be WW2 8th AF same as almost everyone else...i can't wait

• 2 weeks later...

*Almost* everyone :) Mine's gonna be 47th FS/15th FG, Iwo Jima...

Never mind Jennings, nobody's perfect :whistle: (but I'm biased, being a native of Eighth Country).

Edited by MikeC

I foresee a plethora of VIII FC decals, and not a few 15th AF, CBI, and Pacific theatre decals. Imagine Big Beautiful Doll or any of about two dozen others in 1/32 glory! Can't wait! :)

Edited by Jennings

I foresee a plethora of VIII FC decals, and not a few 15th AF, CBI, and Pacific theatre decals. Imagine Big Beautiful Doll or any of about two dozen others in 1/32 glory! Can't wait! :)

I agree those are what modellers will want and will sell best for the decal companies, and I'll end up buying an 8th AF sheet once the right markings come out. I've wanted a Mustang from the 356th, or maybe the earlier 20th FG markings. The less-well covered groups would be nice: the 364th, 355th...one of Kinnard's later "Man o' War" aircraft would be nice, or Graham's "Down for Double". I'll know it when I see it...haven't got a specific aircraft in mind yet. So many choices!!!

I'm waiting to see what the aftermarket will provide for those of us who want something from the many other airforces that flew it. I guess it will be up to the "usual suspect" decal manufacturers for the Commonwealth air forces (wartime and post-war) plus the Poles, the Europeans (France, Sweden, Italy), and all those lovely Latin American markings.

And I always buy more sheets than I will ever build...sort of like kits only cheaper and easier to hide.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by anotherP51nut

Against all temptation I have decided to hold off on the first release and wait to see if Tamiya does a Pacific theater very long range (VLR) boxing. My hope is that it will include all the special antennas, 110 gallon drops, etc., to make an Iwo Jima based VLR Mustang.

Wishing, hoping...if not then I will either build them myself or bug one of the aftermarket guys to produce them. The 110 gallon tanks are now being made in 1/72, soon to be released in 1/48 and it would not be hard to scale them up to 1/32.

I contacted one aftermarket decal maker about doing some 5th Air Force Mustangs, but so far no joy. The 5th Air Force Mustangs are very colorfull with wide wing and fuselage stripes, etc.

I am very interested to see this kit.

My bet would be that you'll either see the VLR stuff in the box or you won't. I don't see such a relatively small modification being done as a separate kit. Possibly a separate release with different decals, but my guess would be that the relevant parts (if they're done at all) would be marked "not for use" in the VIII FC release. We'll see in a few days. Either way, it's not a huge conversion other than those P-38 style tanks.

J

*Almost* everyone :) Mine's gonna be 47th FS/15th FG, Iwo Jima...

LilButchP-51DMustang.jpg

Thats a nice looking P-51,but living in former Mighty 8th country here in the UK i've just gotta go that route

I agree those are what modellers will want and will sell best for the decal companies, and I'll end up buying an 8th AF sheet once the right markings come out. I've wanted a Mustang from the 356th, or maybe the earlier 20th FG markings. The less-well covered groups would be nice: the 364th, 355th...one of Kinnard's later "Man o' War" aircraft would be nice, or Graham's "Down for Double". I'll know it when I see it...haven't got a specific aircraft in mind yet. So many choices!!!

I'm waiting to see what the aftermarket will provide for those of us who want something from the many other airforces that flew it. I guess it will be up to the "usual suspect" decal manufacturers for the Commonwealth air forces (wartime and post-war) plus the Poles, the Europeans (France, Sweden, Italy), and all those lovely Latin American markings.

And I always buy more sheets than I will ever build...sort of like kits only cheaper and easier to hide.

Cheers,

Richard

I like your thinking,i've got 3 of these on pre order from HLJ,i've drawn up some artwork already covering the 356th,also looked at the 355th too Brown's -5 WR-Z Hun Hunter~Texas or Kinnard's -25 WR-A with swept white nose and HVAR rails. Beauty is theres so many choices with the P-51....although i'm sure the aftermarket guys will do the same old Blue Noser and Leiston aircraft

I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to decals.

When a new popular kit comes out every reviewer predicts "we're going to see tons of great decals for this one" when in fact few decals come out and it's often stuff that has already been done to death.

I fear we'll get the same old stuff for the Mustang (357th FG, 352nd FG etc...) but as Richard and Ham mentioned not much choice for lesser know markings or post war Mustangs.

I really hope I'm wrong here and someone decides to take full advantage of the wide choice history offers.

Frenesi was done in 32nd by Eagle Editions and i think is still available. I was in my local library today which has its own room dedicated to the service men of the 8th AF,i was looking through some of books on the 357th...mainly the Merle Olmsted ones,there were so many cool looking P-51's in that unit that have never been done in decal form,we just get endless versions of 'Old Crow' etc. Infact i was quite surprised to see quite late P-51D-20's wearing RAF Green/MSG camo...i knew the Yoxford Boys kept on with the camo long after all the other P-51 units had stopped the process...but these were Feb/March'45 brand new -20's in camo!

Thats a nice looking P-51,but living in former Mighty 8th country here in the UK i've just gotta go that route

My dear Sir, it still IS Mighty Eighth Country. ;)

Checked out your further posts and I think we agree, let's see some of the less well known aircraft - there are plenty to choose from. Some of the Bottisham birds, perhaps (not the usual suspects), or my favourites, the red nose and blue diamonds of the 356th. Or how about the Fowlmere-based 339th or the 353rd at Metfield/Raydon? Don't see too many of them ...

Incidentally, whereabouts in Norwich are you?

For those who want something other than Stars and Bars on their Mustangs, Xtradecal is releasing a 1/32 sheet with six RAF/Commonwealth Mustangs from 1945, both camouflaged and NMF. One of the options that should be popular is W/Cdr J.Storrar's Mustang.

1/32 Xtradecal Future Releases

They are also releasing some interesting Spitifre sheets, including Spitfire 22/24s.

Richard

Edited by anotherP51nut

My dear Sir, it still IS Mighty Eighth Country. ;)

Checked out your further posts and I think we agree, let's see some of the less well known aircraft - there are plenty to choose from. Some of the Bottisham birds, perhaps (not the usual suspects), or my favourites, the red nose and blue diamonds of the 356th. Or how about the Fowlmere-based 339th or the 353rd at Metfield/Raydon? Don't see too many of them ...

Incidentally, whereabouts in Norwich are you?

I must admit i do have a soft spot for the old Martlesham Heath 356th, i think it goes back maybe 25 years as one of the first aftermarket sheets i ever used was Don Strait's Jersey Jerk on a Monogram P-51D. I don't know why you don't see more built considering how colourful they were. Guess its the lack of big score aces,they were quite commited to sticking with the bombers...rather than chasing individual scores.

FWIW i'm over the east side of Norwich City

For those who want something other than Stars and Bars on their Mustangs, Xtradecal is releasing a 1/32 sheet with six RAF/Commonwealth Mustangs from 1945, both camouflaged and NMF. One of the options that should be popular is W/Cdr J.Storrar's Mustang.

1/32 Xtradecal Future Releases

They are also releasing some interesting Spitifre sheets, including Spitfire 22/24s.

Richard

Surprised there's no sharkmouth 112Sqn option...

Surprised there's no sharkmouth 112Sqn option...

I agree, that would be another great choice. I'm hoping there will be more sheets from Xtradecals covering the Mustang and that may be one of them. So many options! Maybe drop them a line with the suggestion... (along with some 356th and 355th FG ideas)

Cheers,

Richard

Equally surprised there's no Bentwaters (relatively near Hannants) options such as 234 Sqn.

@ Mungo1974 - just curious, I'm more of a Suffolk boy myself but know Norwich fairly well. Glad to find a fellow 356th fan.

To perhaps generate inspiration for the 1:32 decal people, here's one of my many 1:48 Mustangs ...

04.jpg

Photo © Phil Jones IPMS Avon

Edited by MikeC

04.jpg

Photo © Phil Jones IPMS Avon

Nice 359th FS P-51K!, i did Bobby Socks too many years ago...don't have it now sadly. However my plan is to do Lt Batie's P-51D OC-N 'Moja Halka' in the same colours.

112 Squadron

The P-51 Pictures are closer to the bottom.

112 Squadron

Good thing this kit will be available for a while. The P-51 looks great in those markings.

Nice link...

The pics do seem to show that most late 112Sqn a/c were Mustang IVA's or P-51K's...so maybe if Tamiya give us one of those we'll see some decals