Here's the box art for Tamiya's Mustang!

I got a chance to see the new Trumpeter 1/32 A-4 last week. I was surprised and delighted to see that they had fired the MAd Riveter. It appears he did not stay unemployed for long! I :explode:

Other than that it looks darn nice!

Y'all DO realize (rhetorical question) how engraved rivets are put into a steel too, right? The way you get really fine, restrained rivets like the Tamiya Spitfire is for a talented craftsman (not a computer) to work them down on the inside of the female mold cavity. The initial test shots (of which this is most assuredly one) will have MUCH bigger rivets than the final product - unless it comes from Trumpeter, in which case they clearly don't care.

Y'all DO realize (rhetorical question) how engraved rivets are put into a steel too, right? The way you get really fine, restrained rivets like the Tamiya Spitfire is for a talented craftsman (not a computer) to work them down on the inside of the female mold cavity. The initial test shots (of which this is most assuredly one) will have MUCH bigger rivets than the final product - unless it comes from Trumpeter, in which case they clearly don't care.

It can be done by computer these days... Thats if you go to the right place ;)

Edited by moeggo

But wouldn't a dimpled rivet be a raised "pip" on the mold, not a divet? I'm not saying this definately wasn't done by hand, BUT it would be an aweful lot of cutting to remove everything but the rivet by hand wouldn't it?

Bill

Why does the picture of the wing with rivets look different than the sprue shots in the video? The sprue shots laid on the table at Shizouka show a wing with seperate control surfaces, the picture with rivets appears to have molded on control surfaces. Tamiya may be having a little fun with the internet crowd.

John

Looks like we will have to do a bit of filling and sanding to get a good looking wing.

Ah well...we have to do some of the work I guess!

Sean

Yes, indeed, and if I ever do build this kit of course I'll fix it, as the man said a coat or two of Mr Surfacer and they're probably gone. But but the point is they shouldn't be there in the first place. Only the current trend for rivets everywhere explains it, as all Tamiya had to do was what they did for their excellent 1:48 kit which is my 2nd favourite kit of all time, their P-51B being my 1st. (edited for typo)

Edited by MikeC

No one is perfect, not even Tamiya... I will still buy one. LOL first glance why did they install a battery in a WW2 warbird? To bad the spade doors will need work to fill in the inner pan and the radiator exit door is shaped wrong. Total doom and gloom ha!!

Edited by TF51GREGWISE

why did they install a battery in a WW2 warbird?

Why would they not? WWII P-51s had batteries in them.

To bad the spade doors will need work to fill in the inner pan and the radiator exit door is shaped wrong. Total doom and gloom ha!!

Huh?

Why would they not? WWII P-51s had batteries in them.

batteries for radios yes, but not a battery located between the oil tank and aftercooler. This was done well after most mustang left U.S. military service

Huh?

I look at mustangs all day every day and at first glance these are wrong. I'm sure after I buy my copy I can make a longer list... but why?

10144924b7.jpg

10144924b8.jpg

10144924a3.jpg

Edited by TF51GREGWISE

I agree about the radiator exit door, it looks weird.

I think maybe Tamiya will include a different one for the open position (at least I hope).

The battery is correct behind the radio, this is not the radio's battery but the main battery.

It was moved in front of the oil tank on P-51D-30s to make room for an IFF set (also included by Tamiya in the kit).

The same thing was done at field depots on some earlier blocks, for example the P-51D-20 and 25s that were on Iwo Jima.

The confusion comes from the fact that Tamiya shows the battery both under the engine cowling and behind the radio on these test shots, when in fact the option is for one or the other.