More progress. Decalling is almost done, and the canopy parts are being glued in place with Tamiya CA glue. It is all I can do to remain patient and allow them to dry before attaching other parts for the canopies - but I know it's essential to allow full setting of the glue to ensure the canopies sit properly. Talk about a delicate operation! These parts are super-flimsy.

When I look at it sitting on my bench, it takes me back to the summer of 1978, when I flew 4 times in a natural-metal CF-5D (including this one, 843) with my father.

P1100396.jpg

P1100398.jpg

P1100400.jpg

Here are the two kits. The smaller one is much less detailed, and I am not happy with the quality of the paint (brushed on). I was admittedly a bit lazy for that one - too much time to mask with Blue tack... FYI, I have donated several of my kits (completed builds) to the local Air Cadet squadron. They have a small model-building club that meets each Wednesday evening, and the instructor I gave the kits to said he would find a display case for some of the more impressive ones (like my 1/32 F-16) in the Officers' Mess. The others will sit in the model-building room, and in the staff offices. This little CF-5D will be donated to them, but I'm keeping the larger one for myself - too many fond memories of flights in these little beauties.

P1100397.jpg

More progress once the incessant rain stops, and I can take some pics outside of the finished products. While it has been hugely annoying for the past week to live through temps about 5 to 8 Celsius with 20 to 40mm of rain each day, we haven't had the flooding that southern areas of the province have lived through. Tomorrow we should finally have some sunshine, with temps of 12C... practically summer for here!

ALF

Those are coming along nicely, Alf.

When I look at it sitting on my bench, it takes me back to the summer of 1978, when I flew 4 times in a natural-metal CF-5D (including this one, 843) with my father.

That's such a cool memory and it must be neat to have a model of that airplane sitting on the shelf. I was in Cold Lake in 1978, too but I won't tell you what grade I was in. :P I know I'm biased but the silver jets with the Cold Lake tail bands are some of the sharpest looking schemes the CF ever had. The silver, black and red all look so nice together.

Looking forward to seeing these ones done.

Cheers,

Sean

Those are coming along nicely, Alf.

That's such a cool memory and it must be neat to have a model of that airplane sitting on the shelf. I was in Cold Lake in 1978, too but I won't tell you what grade I was in. :P I know I'm biased but the silver jets with the Cold Lake tail bands are some of the sharpest looking schemes the CF ever had. The silver, black and red all look so nice together.

Looking forward to seeing these ones done.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean

So what grade were you in? Couldn't have been Grade 5, because I don't recall you hitting on my youngest sister... Unless she kept quiet about it, knowing how protective her "biggest brother" was! :rolleyes:

I also love the natural metal with red tail bands scheme. I've never been a fan of Cold Lake (absolutely hated living there for the 2 years, 3 months and 2 days I did), but the aircraft looked nice.

I should get these two done tomorrow.

ALF

OK - so yesterday's weather was a total bust. The promised sunshine did not appear; we had nearly overcast clouds zipping by in the high winds. Quite a chilly and disappointing Mothers' Day. Not only was the weather not germaine to outdoor photography, but the fact that SWMBO was being feted precluded me from spending time on these models.

I'm calling these both done. Here are some pics of each, and I've also posed them with their brother the Classic Airframes 1/48 single-seater I did a couple years ago.

P1100403.jpg

P1100404.jpg

P1100405.jpg

P1100406.jpg

P1100408.jpg

P1100411.jpg

P1100412.jpg

P1100413.jpg

ALF

Great job ALF

Love how they both turned out

Thanks Jael! And it's largely due to your advice on the silver paint job.

ALF

ALF:

Well done, my friend. They turned out very nicely. Once tiny suggestion, if I may? On the silver one...is there any way you could dirty up the exhaust nozzles to give them a bit of contrast to the rest of the airframe? You would know the real deal better than I would so I'm not sure of there was such a contrast on the real aircraft. In any event, they look great. :thumbsup:

What's next?

Mike