A doubt about moving to Germany

When I was studying Translation, I had some subjects related both to English and German history. I bought several books about the history of both countries. One of them was Hitler's "Mein Kampf" (an English translation), not because I sympathise with what he wrote, but because I thought it would be good to better understand that part of German (and World) history. I know this is controversial. Some of my collegues were shocked when I said I had bought it (it's funny that later they asked me if they could borrow it from me).

Now, I'm packing up for a move to Germany (a permanent one, I'm guessing) and I don't know what to do with the book. I'm not sure if it's legal in Germany to actually own a copy (naturally, I won't be showing it in public) or not. On the internet you'll find sites that say it's banned and sites that say it's okay to own a copy, just as long as you don't try to sell it. Sure, I could leave it here in Portugal at my parents' house and avoid any potential hassle, but I think it's an important book on my German history small book collection.

Any hints?

TIA,

Ricardo

Edited by madcow
I don't think it is banned or censored in Germany.

And you cannot buy it in GERMAY because

another Country{BAVARIA} holds the copyright ..SO I can't see why you cannot take it there.

HOLMES

Bavaria is not another country, but a German state

At some point, students of World War II, German, or European history buy copies of the book, and it's kept in print fairly steadily, in lots of translations. (It's usually too big to be assigned for a college course, as one can cover Nazi ideology more comprehensively with other things; even when I took upper-level undergraduate courses on the Third Reich and World War II in Europe, it wasn't assigned by professors). It's for purposes of historical study, but it invariably raises eyebrows at the bookstore or if someone identifies it on your shelf.

Not sure about the legality, but I tried reading an English translation online once. I made it about two pages. It wasn't that I found it offensive, just impossible to read. I don't know if it was the translation, or Corporal Shickelgruber was just a really lousy writer. I've heard the text described and "rambling" and "turgid," which I consider an understatement.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Sorry to invade this thread but the question is quite interesting and the details are as well (to me anyway but then again I was sad enough to study law).

It turns out AH had an official residence in Munich (Bavaria) and that was registered as his home address until he died in 1945.

After the war all his personal, financial and intellectual (if that's the right word) property was confiscated by order of the allies.

The confiscated goods were transferred to the free-state of Bavaria, basically the local authority.

Because AH, as the writer, owned the rights to Mein Kampf those rights also transferred to Bavaria.

Bavaria simply stated that the rights to the book were part of the legacy they took over and promptly slapped a ban on the printing of it.

As of the 1st of January 2016 this copyright will be nullified as that will mark the 70th year after AH death and 70 years is the statute of limitation in Germany on copyright.

The feeling is that printing of the book will still be against German law after 2016 but then not because of breach of copyright but under anti-Inflammatory laws or the law against incitement of popular hatred.

In 1979 the German high court decided that owning and even distributing the book were not an offence against German law.

Not sure about the legality, but I tried reading an English translation online once. I made it about two pages. It wasn't that I found it offensive, just impossible to read. I don't know if it was the translation, or Corporal Shickelgruber was just a really lousy writer. I've heard the text described and "rambling" and "turgid," which I consider an understatement.

I think he put on paper what he had been droning on and on and on and on about to other prisoners at Landsberg, and they finally told him (with contemptuous irony that he surely failed to perceive) to write a book.

Also, I don't know how much editing he had done on it. He doesn't strike me as the type to put up with much of the editorial process, which can be really, really hard on one's ego. Best-selling prose is usually rewritten in a brutal process, draft after draft, revision after revision. This is what fresh-faced twenty-somethings don't realize when they propose becoming a writer instead of working for a living. Writing is hard, often miserable work, whether it's technical, fiction, non-fiction, music, or screenplay, or whatever.

And, while I'm neither defending Adolf Hitler nor suggesting he was a serious intellectual, philosophical or political tracts can be tough sledding. Try tackling the oft-cited-but-rarely-read Adam Smith, or Karl Marx, or Friedrich Nietzsche. I think parts of the Federalist Papers are brilliantly written, but other parts can be deadly.

I never read the book from start to finish. Like others said, it really is boring and badly written (but I haven't read it in German, though).

-- EDIT --

Back to modeling, I just remembered I have a decal sheet with swastikas (and only swastikas, that I bought for some Revell kits I have). I think I should leave that here, right?

Ricardo

Edited by madcow

What if I already have them? I think it's illegal to build a model displaying a swastika. I've seen people not using it or covering it with paper when they show the model (not sure about how legal is that).

Ricardo

Others may have more specific knowledge, but I think the swastika may be permitted in Germany in a historical context. Whether that applies to models I'm not sure.

SN

IIRC there are no swastikas on aircraft in museums in Germany.

Regarding models......I recall a story where a modeller built a model of a 109 for Adolf Galland. The model was shipped to Germany.....German customs opened the box and scrapped the swastikas off the model.....repacked the box and sent it on to Adolf Galland. The removal of the swastika decals was very crudely done. This story is 5 or 10 years old.

When I was studying Translation, I had some subjects related both to English and German history. I bought several books about the history of both countries. One of them was Hitler's "Mein Kampf" (an English translation), not because I sympathise with what he wrote, but because I thought it would be good to better understand that part of German (and World) history. I know this is controversial. Some of my collegues were shocked when I said I had bought it (it's funny that later they asked me if they could borrow it from me).

Now, I'm packing up for a move to Germany (a permanent one, I'm guessing) and I don't know what to do with the book. I'm not sure if it's legal in Germany to actually own a copy (naturally, I won't be showing it in public) or not. On the internet you'll find sites that say it's banned and sites that say it's okay to own a copy, just as long as you don't try to sell it. Sure, I could leave it here in Portugal at my parents' house and avoid any potential hassle, but I think it's an important book on my German history small book collection.

Any hints?

TIA,

Ricardo

I don't want to inflame this debate, but I actually think the value of Mein Kampf as a historical document is extremely low. As others have noted its poorly written and is just an extended Anti-bolshevik/jew/ect diatribe. It doesn't really provide any insight into Nazi ideology except to say that Hitler was narrow minded. I was only once assigned to me for reading at university (and it was a short excerpt). I'd never assign it if I had to teach a class on it.

I hate to say it but if you're building a German History collection, Mein Kampf is a waste of space when there are plenty of other books that are far more penetrating into the Nazi mindset. Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men is probably the best in my mind.. widely acclaimed, well written and short. I can recommend others if you want.

One last point to consider: Nazism in Germany is a bit of a taboo subject. Sure its not illegal to own Mein Kampf but is it worth the risk of a misunderstanding between you and a guest visiting your place? Personally I wouldn't bring it in just on that basis alone.

The law states that it is an offence to display the Swastika on anything. That goes for anything of historical interest and models.

The Swastika in itself is not a symbol of racial hatred, but it is what it stands for.

DYOR.

Don't display the Swastika anywhere except your own house.

One last point to consider: Nazism in Germany is a bit of a taboo subject.

Not true. Many Germans are quite prepared to openly discuss it. Nazism is still in living history so there's no taboo-ness about it. It is considered bad taste to shave your hair off and go "skinhead" but that is because it is associated with Neo-Fascism.

Alot of misconception here about Nazi history and Germany in general.

General disclaimer....I don't profess to talk for Germans. Rather I have good friends in Germany and visit often.

Edited by loki
Alot of misconception here about Nazi history and Germany in general.

Quite true.....I have friends in Germany and they have no problem talking about that period in history. I haven't met any that thought Hitler was a good guy.........but they did have family history stories from that time period. It's interesting to hear the family stories from the German perspective......one friend has an Uncle that was one of the few captured in Stalingrad that was eventually released. Another had a relative that built aircraft in the Heinkel factory.

Thanks for all the input. -Neu-, if you have time, please recommend more books :D

As for "Mein Kampf", it's already in a box with other books. Even where I live it's mixed with other books. It's not like I have it on display or something like that (a friend of mine once laughed at my bookshelf, because I had Marx's "Capital" and "Mein Kampf" side by side. He thought that was kind of ironic).

Ricardo