1:35 kawasaki 125cc spoke wheels.

Hi got one of the dragon 1/35 figure kits and it has a kawisaki 125cc trials bike. But think the wheels look a bit crap, Anywhere to get better spoke wheels for it. or suggestions of how to make the the central spokes.

Many thanks

Smee

I think Els , another member here built a Yamaha and so he may be able to assist you there...you could alays PM him and ask his advice.

His build is in the same forum as your thread and look for Yamaha YZF-R1-AR ...{ may be several pages down the forum by now} :wub:

I think Els , another member here built a Yamaha and so he may be able to assist you there...you could alays PM him and ask his advice.

His build is in the same forum as your thread and look for Yamaha YZF-R1-AR ...{ may be several pages down the forum by now} ;)

Thanks for the heads up but he's got 3 spokes and doesn't really cover it.

Had a go this evening first time at soldering anything this small. lol think will make a few of the masters here laugh.

soldering.jpg

First attempt was on the right and things moved about too much, masked everything up with the second attempt and that seemed to be better. will give it another couple of tries. but think that be in a week. :wave:

Any words on soldering this small ?

How small of a diameter are the spoked area you are trying to replace? You might have a couple different options. Lion Roar makes/made a couple 1/35 WWII German motorcycle kits that had Photo etched spokes. You might try and see if the ever did a PE sheet for some of the other Tamiya WWII motorcycles that might have PE spokes on them. You might even get lucky and find that they make a sheet for the kit you are building. Another option might be to adapt a 1/24 PE spoked wheel set for a car. I know there are a few sets out there for some Ferrari's from the 50's and 60's, and those might be pretty close in diameter. Another option would be to lace your own spoked wheels for it. There was an article on how to do that in an old issue of Scale Auto Enthusiast for a 1/24th car model. If you'd like I can try and dig out that issue and scan the article for you. Hope this helps.

-Dave

Great find will have better look when home. Didn't know about solder paste.

Have just ordered th lion roar kit. Really strange in Spain trying to order for me in the UK from a user in China. What a strange world we live in. Got to love it. :)

Master modeller Gerald Wingrove would drill holes in the rim and the centre hub.....put both in a jig to hold them.....then he would thread a long piece of brass wire through all the holes like spokes. His wheels looked excellent....but he was working with metal rims and centre hubs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...