F-86A- E V-shaped windscreen

I am planing on making an early F-86E, complete with a set of narrow wing slats from Bill Scobie. I will have to make a V-shaped windscreen, however. I looked at swiping one from a Lindberg kit, but it does not look right. Any suggestions on how to make one?

There was an article in a past Fine Scale Modeler issue where the author (I believe he was Paul Boyer, but I may be mistaken) carved out the front panel from a standard F-86E windscreen and grafted a V-shaped front panel fashioned from clear styrene sheet. I have been lucky enough to have the clear resin F-86A windscreen that Cutting Edge made for their F-86A conversion; you might want to try asking around for one.

There was an article in a past Fine Scale Modeler issue where the author (I believe he was Paul Boyer, but I may be mistaken) carved out the front panel from a standard F-86E windscreen and grafted a V-shaped front panel fashioned from clear styrene sheet. I have been lucky enough to have the clear resin F-86A windscreen that Cutting Edge made for their F-86A conversion; you might want to try asking around for one.

I will see if I can find that article... I think the Cutting Edge pieces are going to be pretty hard to find. I just with the early Sabre's would get the same production treatment that the F-86F got. Thanks for the suggestion!

If I were going to do it, I'd just use some clear sheet plastic (like from a Q-tip package) to form the clear parts, and then use epoxy putty for the fairings above and below. The real thing was just bolted onto the standard F-86 flat armored glass windscreen. I've talked to an F-86 pilot from Korea and he said they hated them because it totally screwed up your forward vision, and they had their crew chiefs take them off. Obviously not everybody shared that opinion, as you see lots of early ones that stayed on the airplane. It was more to make it look cool than anything else, since I doubt that little V would have added a tenth of a knot in speed.

As Jennings said, look close at the picture. It is just bolted to the front of the windscreen. I thought about this for a while and clear plastic from a blister packed product would work well and would be easy to scratch, with BMF for the frames. Forget about about the CE screen it is absolute rubbish. I have the F-86A conversion and the windscreen is clear resin cast, no frames and I can not even polish it clear, absolute stinko, it does not even look like the V screen.

John

As Jennings said, look close at the picture. It is just bolted to the front of the windscreen. I thought about this for a while and clear plastic from a blister packed product would work well and would be easy to scratch, with BMF for the frames. Forget about about the CE screen it is absolute rubbish. I have the F-86A conversion and the windscreen is clear resin cast, no frames and I can not even polish it clear, absolute stinko, it does not even look like the V screen.

John

Boy, it's a good thing Cutting Cheese isn't in business anymore, else otherwise you'd be on the Black List ® in a flash, making nasty comments like that! Shame on you :)

You can just break it! :deadhorse1:

th_P4300277.jpg

Or try to make one...

th_F-86_canopy.jpg

I have been spending a lot of time looking at Sabre pics and I am actually amazed at how many airframes appear to have the V-shaped windscreens removed. Thanks for the measurements on the windscreen

mmaker,

Thanks for the info on the A/E V shaped windscreen. I thought I knew most everything about the Sabre but you just exposed my ignorance. By the way the dimensions on the graphic are those at 1/72nd scale?

Regards,

Mike

George,

Great shots! So the V was a bolt on mod applied right over the flat wind screen? I have read several sources quoting pilots to the effect that it really hampered their forward vision. I am contemplating doing either Jabars' 1st jet ace bird or "Miss Behavin" which was flown by Maj. George Davis on his 4 kill mission. I have a 1/18th 21st Century bird disassembled and ready to be modified. It's a big pre-painted "F" model with the hard 6X3 wing so it would mean reworking the all flying tail bulges and reducing the wing and adding slats. A lot of work and as surely as I do it Tamyia will release a museum quality A/E in 32nd scale. It's almost a law! LOL Hey thanks for the pics.

Regards,

Mike

George

You are a saint! Thanks for posting the ref pix and your drawing. An -A model is definately moving to the top of the pile and your references seal it for me! Another good guy on the net!

Thanx

John

Wow, great photos! I could have used these back when I was trying to correct the Cutting Edge conversion! Thanks for posting them, George!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is notice how the area rising up from the fuselage to the windscreen is curved on the F-86A and flat on the E & F.

Cheers!

Ben

Interesting. I'm planning to do an F-86A from the 116th FS at Shepherds Grove, the first Sabres in the UK. I'd always assumed I'd have to make the winscreen addition, but it seems not necessarily. Just checked out some reference pics, for example this one, and bearing in mind that afaik these were As and no other variant:

http://www.century20war.co.uk/ShepGrove%201954.jpg

Mike

I looked at a lot of photos of Sabres of the 81st FIW as research for some artwork and all the photos of wing F-86As that I found had the V screen. It looks like the one in the photo that you posted has it too. You can see the shape of the fairings on the top and bottom of the windscreen. The 116th was re-designated 78th FIS in November 1952, received F-86Fs in 1953 and moved to RAF Sculthorpe in 1956. They returned to Shepherds Grove in 1957 and moved again to RAF Woodbridge in 1958. I would say that if you're doing a Shepherds Grove 116th F-86A, it would have the fairing.

Don

Mike

I looked at a lot of photos of Sabres of the 81st FIW as research for some artwork and all the photos of wing F-86As that I found had the V screen. It looks like the one in the photo that you posted has it too. You can see the shape of the fairings on the top and bottom of the windscreen. The 116th was re-designated 78th FIS in November 1952, received F-86Fs in 1953 and moved to RAF Sculthorpe in 1956. They returned to Shepherds Grove in 1957 and moved again to RAF Woodbridge in 1958. I would say that if you're doing a Shepherds Grove 116th F-86A, it would have the fairing.

Don

Thanks for the info Don. I admit the photo is less than clear, I was going by the apparent lack of the central dividing line (compare the photos earlier in the thread).

I'm not that bothered about making one, as I have the Cutting Edge set and (I hope) enough modeling skills, but I'm basically a lazy modeller, and if I can avoid unnecessary work I will. (So drum me out of IPMS :taunt: )

I particularly want to make a Shepherds Grove aircraft as I grew up in the nearest village, and later developed an interest in the 81st FW/FBW/TFW/Whatever W. My late Father remembers seeing the Sabres as they first arrived - he spoke of a long, never-ending stream of jets. Any sight of your artwork and/or any photos, or pointers to where available, greatly appreciated.

To everyone else, apologies for dragging this o/t into a nostalgia trip!