Hi there.

I'm working on a 1:48 voodoo and looking at my reference material I realize that 90% of it is in black and white. So a question for those that may know.

Where te NMF Voodoo highly polished (like the starfighters or sabre's?) or were they a more dull aluminum? I'm working on one circa 1962

thanks

David

Hi there.

I'm working on a 1:48 voodoo and looking at my reference material I realize that 90% of it is in black and white. So a question for those that may know.

Where te NMF Voodoo highly polished (like the starfighters or sabre's?) or were they a more dull aluminum? I'm working on one circa 1962

thanks

David

Most assuredly .... dull (as in never polished).

Scott

Gents:

IPMS Canada "RT" Volume 33 #1 States that all the first batch were in natural metal finish and remained that way as late as 1970. The issue has quite a few profiles and a free decal sheet for "one off" Canadian Voodoos! Worth a look!

Alvin5182

In 1962, they were not bare metal, they were painted in a silver lacquer.

Nope !! Every picture I've seen, including all in the 'CF101 Profile' by Robert McIntrye, has the first batch of our Voodoos in bare aluminum.

The second batch recieved was delivered in silver lacquer. 1970s IIRC

Maybe in the last years of the first batch, a few may have got a coat of silver ,but it would be around late 60s, not early 60s

1962 era = bare aluminum

if you have a pic saying otherwise, please post it.

Tony

Wondering about that myself now. I was always under the assumption that the first 4 demonstration airecraft we received on loan from the USAF were in fact bare metal, then once we got our operational aircraft in '62, they were all painted with the silver laquer. The BMF makes sense though as its contemporaries in the RCAF all wore bare metal schemes too.

My father was a nav on Voodoos in Comox (409) from 1964 to 1967. I have some slides (which I will scan sometime...) showing some very shiny natural metal finishes on all of the aircraft. Some he took are quite stunning over the Coastal Range mountains in BC, and the aluminum shines in the sun. Definitely natural metal and not lacquer in 1962. If/when I can find some scanned slides from that era, I'll post them in the refs forum.

ALF