PC (political correctness) brigade too sensitive

:coolio:, This morning I read in our local paper a story about a woman who has received what she considers a threatening letter from the Roads and Traffic Authority here in NSW regarding her personized number plates. Apparently she has had these plates for over 5 years on her cars, the first one to display them was a loving gift from her husband. The offending plate caption? KIKI, which apparently in the Tagalog language from the Phillipines is a nickname for a woman's genitals. Mrs. Kristen Perry from the suburb of New Lambton Heights (which should have told the RTA something about her income) has been called Kiki since before she could walk and has been given 14 days to show cause why her plates shouldn't be confiscated. Apparently one person complained to the RTA that they were offended by her plates and it was in their opinion an insult to the Tagalog language and the Phillipino people overall. One person complained? To the RTA I say "tell that person noone else has complained and their are plenty of other Tagalog speakers in Newcastle (if the complainant even lives here)" And, it was the RTA who approved and issued her plates in the first place. To the person who complained I'll repeat the caption I recently saw on a tee shirt.

"Go to Bunnings,

buy some timber,

build a bridge,

get over it."

Perhaps both the RTA and the complainant might now pull their heads in. Mrs. Perry is a lawyer, so I'd say well able to afford the best barrister if things come to that. It seems to me that the PC brigade and their little stooges in government departments and authorities have gone way too far this time. what a waste of time and effort because of one over sensitive person. When I was working in Sydney at a certain site I had to pass by the Botany Bay container terminal on my way too and from work. There is a trucking company in Sydney called Lovatt's. On the bugsmashers of all their trucks they had "Australia, lovatt or leave it". I agree. Personally I reckon that one complaint isn't worth it, they should be told to grow a thicker skin and that should be the end of it. Lord knows, I've been told that often enough and never complained, I just got on with life and grew a thicker skin. And I must say, I'm the better for it.

:monkeydance:,

Ross.

ps. If any reader finds this offensive I don't mind if you report it and I'll understand if it's removed. It was just such a shock to read this in the paper today that I had to share with you all in the hope some of you will give your opinions.

Edited by ross blackford

Somehow, somewhere along the line in recent years, there seems to have developed this universal belief that no one should ever have to be offended by anything, ever. Not really sure where that comes from. Sometimes people say things that strike other people wrong. That doesn't make it right to do it, but just as no one should expect life to be totally free of risk in every situation (which is where we're headed in America, the lawyers given enough time), no one (IMHO) has the right to go through life and never be offended. Hell, it's when we get offended that often we're forced to look at our own prejudices to start with. Sometimes that's actually a good thing.

This is somehow related to the pervasive and growing idea in America that "I" am entitled to everything without having to ask, work, struggle, or do anything other than sit back and expect the world on a silver platter handed to "me". A good friend teaches history at a local university, and the attitudes of some of her undergrads are stupefying. "I've received D's on the last three quizzes and a C and a D on the last two tests. This is unacceptable to me. What can you do to help me?" (that's almost verbatim from the email she got). Uh, try coming to class more than once a week, try reading the material and understanding it, and try studying for the tests and quizzes. Just a thought...

It's crazy.

Edited by Jennings

Honestly, I'd have to see a lot of backstory before passing real judgment. Political correctness, or just a jerk in the bureaucracy? See, I'd like to meet the bureaucrat who made the decision to "prosecute" the offending plate. This individual could be acting out some personal issue, rather than carrying out a consistent policy. Then, underlings are afraid to do anything to prevent it from going forward, and overlings are afraid to countermand it. Nobody wants trouble on their watch, if they think the issue will just pass by them. When considered that way, it's another personal mistake or irrationality, like fault in a traffic accident, or choosing to punch a store clerk because the store is out of the product you're after. Context is everything.

My point is that lots and lots and lots of "political correctness" stories turn out to fare poorly when investigated. I've seen real instances where I think people were targets of career- or character-assaults on political grounds. Others I judged to be just personal vendettas, acted out in an office setting. And I've heard many, many, many second- and third- and fourth-hand stories about some supposed outrage that, well, didn't turn out to be as widespread or growing as it was predicted to be. For an example, I hear both left-wing and right-wing acquaintances wail to me that they're victims of the supposedly well-organized and politically-devious "other side" to such extent that I wonder why they need to convince me, if it's so obvious.

Meanwhile, news media, uninterested in investigating and aware that arousing someone's ire sells advertising space, finds these gems particularly appealing. I'd say two out of three nights, the miserably-flailing local news channels present some case where, there may be genuine injustice, but it doesn't reflect a movement.

Edited by Fishwelding
Somehow, somewhere along the line in recent years, there seems to have developed this universal belief that no one should ever have to be offended by anything, ever. Not really sure where that comes from.

ironically PC goes hand and hand with "tolerance" which as you point out is the opposite of being offended by everything...

You can have any opinion you desire as long as it ours.

Also see my signature

Honestly, I'd have to see a lot of backstory before passing real judgment. Political correctness, or just a jerk in the bureaucracy? See, I'd like to meet the bureaucrat who made the decision to "prosecute" the offending plate.

Meanwhile, news media, uninterested in investigating and aware that arousing someone's ire sells advertising space, finds these gems particularly appealing. I'd say two out of three nights, the miserably-flailing local news channels present some case where, there may be genuine injustice, but it doesn't reflect a movement.

You make good points.

ironically PC goes hand and hand with "tolerance" which as you point out is the opposite of being offended by everything...

Irony works both ways, though, and is invariably lost on zealots. Generally zealots who preach things like "know where you stand" and "solidarity" under this-or-that dogma, and intolerance of debate, disagreement, and plurality, find themselves practically having to be tolerant, and diverse, or they fail. Because among themselves they really don't think precisely the same as each other. Nobody does. This is why when some militant political faction, all full of hot air about uniting to save society from The Great Evil Du Jour finally seize power by force, or get an absolute majority in the legislature, or somehow gain a decisive grip on the reigns of power, they usually fall to fighting each other before long. Then either their whole movement comes apart, or some ruthless cynic manipulates the hapless "true believers" and takes it all for himself. Sometimes they don't even seize power before they simply defeat themselves in infighting over strategy, or precise points of disagreement over holy scripture, or whether you are or aren't supposed to eat lots of protein prior to weightlifting, or some other such arcane point of discord.

The whole process could be entertaining, but in real life it sadly usually wastes a lot of time, treasure, and blood.

Somehow, somewhere along the line in recent years, there seems to have developed this universal belief that no one should ever have to be offended by anything, ever.

It's crazy.

In Canada, its slowly turned into a RIGHT to not be offended by someone's speech. There has been considerable backlash over this in recent times but it remains.

While ridiculous it is a fairly common occurance unfortunately, anyone can write a complaint letter to the DMV about your plate and the DMV will investigate, usually you'll have to give the plate up.

Virginia has a license plate that benefits children's charities:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=SCKF

Someone got a personalized tag with the phrase "EATTHE" above the 'kids first' part of the tag, it was a valid tag that made it past the DMV and had been issued, only after the tag made the rounds on the 'net did someone complain and the DMV asked for the tag back.

And before someone gets too bent out of shape about the whole thing, I believe that having a personalized tag is considered a "priviledge" granted by the DMV, not a right. You're playing by their rules.

Ken

Somehow, somewhere along the line in recent years, there seems to have developed this universal belief that no one should ever have to be offended by anything, ever.

But Jennings, you usually seem offended by everything! :whistle:

Actually.... Historically speaking, we advance most during times of total warfare.

Through military technology comes personal technological advancement. It's trickle down. We wouldn't know how to amputate damage limbs without Napoleonic warfare. We wouldn't know about infection without observing stab wounds in battlefield aftermaths. We wouldn't have microwave communication or microwave ovens or cell phones without WW2 radar towers and radio handset advances.

We wouldn't have roads. We wouldn't have canned food. Society would be far behind even the dark ages if not for the warmongering nature of our species.

So, you want to get us to Mars faster, start picking fights!! :thumbsup::whistle:

Ross..What is the official language in Australia (NSW)? I assume English and perhaps the aboriginal language (excuse me for my ingnorance as to a proper name for same). As the government should only work in the official language, the bureaucrat has no business even recognizing this complaint as to a language not recognized in Australia and so someone should officially lodge a complaint against the bureaucrat for not doing his job properly and wasting time on non-work (unofficial) matters...See how the bureaucrat feels about being the subject of the complaint...Can the original complaint even be legally recognized? Sounds like lawyers could have lots of fun....

Cheers

Bruce

:D, G'day RCAFFAN,

Yes, I agree with that. BTW, the local aboriginal language is Awabakul. There are many aboriginal languages in Australia. Kristen Perry is herself a lawyer so it could be interesting is the RTA doesn't accept her explanation. She has a Greek background and Kiki is a shortening of her name apparently. Yes English is the official language here, as it is even in the Phillipines (the American influence I guess)so I can't see what the problem is. I think it boils down to multiculturalism taken out of context and a couple of peoples' stupidity. An RTA spokewoman said that by law any plate that has any offensive sexual, political or personal content is illegal. I would assume that is in the English language, most people here wouldn't know Tagalog from Mandarin. I'm typing this at 0849 the next morning and there is a headline in today's Herald that Mrs. Perry's plates are OK and the RTA has admitted that its reponse to the complaint was not a common sense one. Even the local Filipino-Australian Society of the Hunter Valley doesn't think the Kiki plates are offensive in the context they were displayed. I voted in the online poll the paper was running yesterday and after pressing the "vote" button the then current results of the poll are displayed. The results at that time; 97% against the RTA, 3% for them. Good to see commonsense prevailing in this issue. Kristen can keep her plates Go Kristen go.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Good to see commonsense prevailing in this issue. Kristen can keep her plates Go Kristen go.

-THANKFULLY it often does these days...............eventually

and in a county like Australia - it should !