Trumpeter 1/3 M-16/XM-177 questions...

Been working on Trumpeter's 1/3 scale M-16 family of rifles. Neat little kits. All built and primed. Just need to paint.

Modern M-16/M-4's are pretty much all black today but these are the older style M-16/XM-177. I think the upper and lower receiver were more of a gun metal. I think I'm going to try Tamiya dark gun metal for the receiver's and semi-black for the stock and foregrip. Any opinion or recommendations would be appreciated!

IMG_3930.jpg

Been working on Trumpeter's 1/3 scale M-16 family of rifles. Neat little kits. All built and primed. Just need to paint.

Modern M-16/M-4's are pretty much all black today but these are the older style M-16/XM-177. I think the upper and lower receiver were more of a gun metal. I think I'm going to try Tamiya dark gun metal for the receiver's and semi-black for the stock and foregrip. Any opinion or recommendations would be appreciated!

IMG_3930.jpg

The plastic parts were all a semi-gloss black. The upper / lower receivers and barrel were all a black-gun metal. The only real color difference was the dust cover over the ejection port and the magazines. The mags were a grey-ish aluminum color that could show a bit of green primer with some wear. The dust cover was a darker gray/black color. All the hardware on the -203 was semi-gloss black.

soo. what I see there is the XM177/CAR15 style, the M16VN and the M16A1? Sorry, I don't recall the exact numbers of them all.

As mentioned for the plastics, do it in that.

A spacer ring/spring washer? near the muzzle, that is often plain out aluminium coloured.

I reckon paint the body in aluminium (because they are created from billet.. 7075? meh.. going off the top of my head) and then paint the body in black.. to allow for wear. :D

I think that the grip texture of the M16s was different to that of the XM177... will need to research that a bit.

The forward assist of the M16A1 with M203 launcher is plastic.

Now... once you have painted em... CAM paint them.. however you want... for urban environs or for jungle...

and then try to wear through the cam paint and down to the black.. as you will often find. :)

Either way, I may have to look for something like this for me... IF they are allowed into Australia! grrrr

Is it me or does the barrel on the M-16 have a case of the "droops"?

Just realized that is the original version M-16 with the open flash hider and no forward assist.

Also, it appears that the M-203 version still has the sling swivel under the front site post. I don't believe that these were fitted since the -203 barrel blocked access to it. It's been a long time since I had one of those but I "think" that the -203 had a sling swivel mounted on the left side of the heat shield.

Edited by 11bee

The flash suppressor on the XM177 looks a bit on the short side. Also, it's missing the bayonet lug. Although you I don't think you can really mount a bayonet on the XM177, the lug is cast as part of the standard front sight assembly used by all M16s. The only ones I've seen with the shaved off lug are some civilian ones, especially during the "ban" era.

Is it me or does the barrel on the M-16 have a case of the "droops"?

It's not you. The barrel is not fixed yet for eaiser painting. Once it's painted I'll glue it all together.

Thanks for all the info guys!

• 1 month later...