1/72 F-14A Sundowners

update, brushed on future as gloss coat and left it to dry for about a day.

Decal on tail fin was a challenge to handle, took quite a while to get it to settle down. Need to touch up some tears with red paint.

qsmkut.jpg

2wci4v9.jpg

comments welcomed!

I don't know how I missed my favorite plane in my favorite scale!

I like your work. You're making good progress. Your panel lines were looking over done in the first photo but you toned them down and smoothed everything in nicely. By the photos in post #6, I'd say they came out perfect. :thumbsup:

Limyc,

Like Pirata, I cannot think how the heck I missed MY favorite ..TOMCAT ..build.. :bandhead2:

It is looking impressive so far and you are doing very good..I thought your weathering loked spot on

and the tail fin with the decal on it is very neat..

Can't wait for more updates..

Keep up the good work,,

NOICE !!! :thumbsup:

Sometimes a bit hard to comment on whether weathering is over or under done from a online picture. I have seen it over and under emphasize it.

It is probably heavier than i would do, but they did get dirty and where well used, so looks fine to me.

Build's looking good!

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I've decided that I'm gonna do this bird in flight, secure 2 metal rods through the exhaust.

Managed to grab some materials today

mbhkao.jpg

Weathering of the panel done, not sure if I had overdone it.

34t4waf.jpg

14j6c7n.jpg

16bg38i.jpg

What do u guys think?

I don't know how I missed my favorite plane in my favorite scale!

I like your work. You're making good progress. Your panel lines were looking over done in the first photo but you toned them down and smoothed everything in nicely. By the photos in post #6, I'd say they came out perfect. :thumbsup:

Sometimes a bit hard to comment on whether weathering is over or under done from a online picture. I have seen it over and under emphasize it.

It is probably heavier than i would do, but they did get dirty and where well used, so looks fine to me.

Build's looking good!

Kind of like everyone has said here. It is very hard to determine the amount of weathering, pre and post shading. I would have to say that the F-14 was perhaps the most weathered and most used aircraft in the Naval arsenal until the Super Hornet started to phase it out in the late 90's early 00's. I think it looks awesome and the Tomcat can never be "TOO" dirty. Thanks for showing, even though 1/72 scale isn't my preferred scale you have done a fantastic job. Can't wait to see more!

Jeremy

Anyway, most probably the last update for this WIP.

Managed to stuff the brass tubes into the exhaust, secured with epoxy putty, then glued the exhausts onto the model. Lastly covered with a flat coat.

Those with sharp eyes might have noticed the red color on top of the tailfins are a little darker than the red of the decal. Well, I followed the instructions stating to use H327 which resulted in a darker red (but I did some touch up to get it as close to the decal as possible)

2hhmz6c.jpg

A small part of the decal at the cockpit got torn off while decaling, might touch up with a fine marker/pencil.

6i4dio.jpg

Comments welcomed!

Very nice and clean build, it's a shame the decals were slightly yellowed to start with. Maybe UV exposure will correct this over time but you might have been well inspired to do it before ;)

For the torn decal don't worry: it should be quite easy to make a new one yourself from clear decal sheet as it is black markings.

Arnaud

Beautiful Sundowners Jet ... :clap2:

I seen that particular jet on static display one year at the MCAS El Toro airshow ...

They had it parked next to an F-15C from Edwards ... The ribbing was funny all weekend long between the two crews ... :fight:

Gregg