Hi gentlemen,

this will be my first WIP thread on ARC,I will try to show something from my (non-existing) skills through a build of my favourite helicopter and I will learn a lot from your advices too,I hope.I always wanted to start a build here but for a few months I was forced to stay away from modeling because of familly issues.Nothing special...I mean it is very special:I am a daddy of a 8 and a half months old babygirl. :coolio:/> She is in the centre of our interest since her birth but slowly we will have the time to make another activities at least in the evenings...sometimes...I hope. :rolleyes:/> Anyway,I am in love with her.Just to understand my feelings,take a look at her.

She is the best model I've ever made. :thumbsup:/>

Nora.jpg

Back to the story.The truth about the building that I've started it at least one year ago,but I did not succeed to go that far in the building.I glued together the seats and a table from the cargo bay.

MH-53_1.jpg

MH-53_2.jpg

I did some painting job and make some internal detailing around the cockpit with Eduard BigEd for the MH-53.

MH-53_3.jpg

MH-53_4.jpg

I did some scratch in the fuselage halves also.We are before wash and drybrushing,I need to add some tiny bits also.

MH-53_5.jpg

MH-53_6.jpg

The plan is to make the internal wiring and put some accessories into the loading bay and keep it open,otherwise I would like to fold the whole helicopter into storing position.That's why the tail of the dragon is missing.

Next steps will be some external detailing to keep myself interested in the build.

It will be a long road,please join me.

Sorry for the poor quality.

Any comments and advice are welcome.

Regards,Laz

Edited by Tripio

Congraulations!! Funny thing about these little girl models. They cause reverse weathering! Mine is about to turn four and my hair looks like the airbrush backfired during a primer shoot (however, I wouldn't trade a single gray hair). Good luck on the build.

Laz, Congrats on the model GH-1RL, nice detail work and the eyes look very convincing! Just kidding welcome to Fatherhood! My GH-1RL model is 3 now and a crazy terror who melts my heart when she says "I Love you" and we just had a little boy who is now 3 month old, but thanks to Baby Einstien I squeeze in some work here and there. I really like your work so far, especially the rib work on the sides, very nicely done. I tried to build this kit myself (the CH-53E version) but gave up when the Academey kit came out so I know it's a rough kit to work with. I think you could use a wash to highlight all that great work but otherwise perfect. If you need any reference photos, I amased a lot durning my 2 year build of the 1/48 E so feel free to ask. Good work on the kiddo too.

Hello guys,

thank you for your kind words about my baby and about Fatherhood.

I know that I will be out of words at the first "I love you" sentence... :wub:

After visiting the relatives I've made some progress on the underside of the Dragon.Italeri made some fake holes and bumps on the bottom,first I've sanded them away and then came the Eduard PE set to finish the job.

MH-53_8.jpg

Guys,I need some help.

I've made a short summary about the necessary steps to finish the build according to my plans.As I've mentioned I would like to fold the monster into storing position...if you have some reference photos from the folded rotorblades from above I would be happy with them.I need also some pictures from the cargo bay,especially from the left&right sidewalls at the ramp.I've found that there are some ribs I forgot to make.Many thanks in advance.

Any comments are welcome.

Regards,Laz

Edited by Tripio

Tripio, my friend,

your model looks fantastic! Oh, and your helicopter is also a very nice one! ;) I'm waiting for the updates!

One thought about fatherhood: you'll feel great when she will say the first (or any) time: "Daddy"... Having two little boys I know what I'm speaking about... ;)

Best regards,

Zoli

Beautiful build Laz...

love the cabin ribs work , I really want to know how you make those (I always failed making one, always got the wrong curve/angle).

BTW, CMIIW but I think you got the collective upside down there.

MH-53_1.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by lifeline

Hello gentlemen,

thank you for your comments.

Zoli,

I know that I will be in serious trouble with my girly... :rolleyes: but I am waiting to hear that sentence. :wub:

Mario,

thank you for spotting the fail out,I did not notice that something is wrong with the collective...I've just trusted in the engineers of Italeri.I've checked the guide and it shows to glue the parts together like I did.Because of the moulding of the seats I can only cut the grip from the collective and glue it conversely.Anyway,I will do that and show you on next week.Thank you again.

As far as the ribs are concerned...first I've measured the distances between the vertical ones and made them from 0,5 mm styrene.The horizontal ones are made from the bristles of a broom.I've just walked for a few days to the garage and around the whole household to find the proper material for this job...and finally I've found the broom in a corner with plastic bristles. :rofl:

I will load up some pictures somewhere in the middle of next week.Until I try to finish the rib work.I receive a few pictures from Everett (evnewsphoto) about the sidewalls next to the cargo door,there I need to do some upgrading still.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,Laz

Edited by Tripio

Hello guys,

there is not much to show.Almost every day I had to work in overtime.

Anyway,yesterday I had a few hours in the evening.I've glued some tiny bits to the external fuel tanks and into the main gear wheel wells.After doing that I've made a fast checking on the fitting.The fuselage is a bit twisted,needs some work.I will try to make a new approach on the filling,that's why you can't see any filling/sanding progress until now.I would like to keep as much rivets as possible,but sanding will destroy them,so I need to find another solution.Let's see...

MH-53_9.jpg

MH-53_10.jpg

MH-53_11.jpg

Next week I'll be on a business trip to the Czech Republic,you can expect the next up date only at the end of next week.

Anyway,suggestions/advices/comments are welcome,as always.

Regards,Laz

Not sure if this'll mean anything to your build, but I thought I remembered hearing that the main rotor on Italeri's MH-53E spins in the wrong direction and basically needs to be "flipped"... if in fact it's even that simple of a fix? :hmmm:

Nice looking build so far, BTW. :coolio:

Edited by J.C. Bahr

Hi there,

Austin,Daan,J.C.,thank you for your kind words and for your support.

As far as the main rotor's spinning direction is concerned...it's a strange.

I've heard the facts that it is wrong but I've checked it and didn't find any problem with it.Maybe Italeri made a short run on the Sea Dragon then they realized that "oooops,something is wrong" then made some repair on the tools...I don't know... :wacko:

Otherwise,I will fritter the blades and its hinges to fold them. :coolio:

Regards,Laz

Hey Laz, looking good, I saw you were asking Alexander about rivets and I got a tip for you, I used stretch sprue bits that I cut off and glue in place with thin glue (Tamyia) and in your small scale it would be hard to tell the difference that it's round and not hex shaped. Everett

Hello guys,

after a week of plant visits and trainings,I am back in the business. :woot.gif:

Regarding that some kind of raw material shortage happened (I am out of 0.5 styrene sheets),I've started to work on the tail.Eduard gave all the air vents from PE...This area is a little bit overengineered for me and not too easy to put the small parts in place.The thickness of the plastic can destroy the look at the air vents easily,so I've tried to sand as much as I can from the inner side.At the rotorhead in the tail I've just make holes behind the vents,not drilled out entirely,otherwise the tail rotor could easily rip out the glued parts.I've decided to keep some plastic in this area.Let's take a look at the result.

MH-53_12.jpg

MH-53_13.jpg

I am quite happy with it.Next week I need to purchase some styrene then I will be able to continue the building of the ribs at the cargo door then I will do some painting in the interieur.

Comments are welcome as always.

Regards,Laz

Wow Laz, those vents look mighty friggin good!!!! :jaw-dropping::thumbsup: You did an EXCELLENT job with them!

Wish there was a similar such vent set for the MPM group CH-37 Mojave.

BTW - how do you glue the vents at their edges? Doesn't look like there'd be much of a mating surface.

Edited by J.C. Bahr

Hello there,

Holmes,J.C.,Adam,Daan,Matt,thank you for your kind words. :worship:

As far as the baby is concerned,she is really a cute one. :thumbsup:

Gluing the vents was not that easy,that's true.I cut out a hole in the plastic with the same shape as the vent is but a little bit smaller one.I scribe around te PE part on the plastic then I carve out the material from the surface at the edges a little bit deeper than the PE part's thickness,plus sand as much from the inner side as I can.In this case the vents look at least acceptable.

Taking notes from my build?It is quite honoric for me. :D

Today I've bought 2 squaremeters from styrene,some interieur job will be done this week (hopefully),but at the moment I am working on the air filters and the tail of the Dragon.

Regards,Laz

Edited by Tripio

Hello gentlemen,

after a very long week I was able to work on some parts.I would like to get back to the interieur but life got in the way.As I've mentioned a few days ago I worked on the tail and the airfilters.To tell the whole truth,my favourite brass parts from Eduard are those air filters,I really enjoyed to make them. :cheers:

So,here are some pictures from the progress.

Underside of the tail:

MH-53_14.jpg

The filters:

MH-53_15.jpg

MH-53_16.jpg

I hope I can make more progress on week 21.

Comments/observations/advices are welcome,as always.

Regards,Laz