X-Acto vs. Excel  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which #11 blades do you prefer?

Time for me to re-order some #11 blades.

I've tended to stick with X-Acto but have heard others use Excel.

From what I understand:

Excel blades are more durable/longer lasting but don't have as good a point as X-Acto.

X-Acto has a really nice point but it breaks off if you look at it wrong.

What about Stainless Steel vs. Carbon Steel?

Is there any advantage to paying more and using Stainless other than it won't rust (which doesn't matter to me anyways)?

:cheers:

X-acto here. Not sure I've ever used Excel, but tried the Revell option after Michaels stopped carrying X-Acto (or so I thought- still avail. in drafting section), and omg what junk. I'll stick with X-acto thanks. Besides, with your name, are you not obligated to use X-acto for life? :blink:

I don't think I've ever really used X-Acto. My first ever hobby knife was an Excel and I have stuck with them for 15 years or so now...Not because of quality over X-acto but mainly because that's all my HLS always seems to carry. And yes, Revell blades are the biggest junk I've ever used.

Coming to think of it, I need to order me some more. Thanks for the reminder, Chris!

Rob

P.S. Where do you all order your blades from?

I find the Excel blades are much sharper than the Xacto blades. To compare, I scraped the mold line off a Hasegawa SBD-4 Dauntless landing gear leg and the Excel blade easily removed the mold line whereas the Xacto blade used exactly in the same manner, tended to drag along the same mold line. Both blades used were fresh blades. (BTW, I'm a long time Xacto user.)

Shop at Amazon, I bought several 15-blade packs for less than $4 each.

Edited by PlasticWeapons

I use X-Acto X-Life blades (the blue ones), which are more durable than the standard X-Acto and Excel blades, and hold their point much better. With the standard blades, I always seemed to break the tip off quickly, but I have yet to break the tip on any of the X-Life blades I've used. I scored two 100-packs for $30 (including shipping) on eBay a year ago, so I'm set for a while and each blades comes out to $0.15. I did a quick search on eBay and found one seller that's good a pretty good price here. At the price listed here, each blade would cost less than getting a 15-pack of the regular ones.

Swann-Morton here (UK.) Readily available by the hundred in carbon steel: never seen it proved, but from other things assumed this composition as less brittle than stainless. Not sure if this is a myth, but I carry it through from vehicle work :)

The firm because of established high quality and easy familiarity.

I just had a nose round this place and needed to buy a Unitool for nostalgia alone (thing like a pen-knife.) Not to mention blades for their SF1 which are priced to make a happy man very poor, a bit close to Dead Ringers territory but quite useful on occasion...

Patrick

Edited by Patrick_Nevin

I use X-Acto X-Life blades (the blue ones), which are more durable than the standard X-Acto and Excel blades, and hold their point much better. With the standard blades, I always seemed to break the tip off quickly, but I have yet to break the tip on any of the X-Life blades I've used. I scored two 100-packs for $30 (including shipping) on eBay a year ago, so I'm set for a while and each blades comes out to $0.15. I did a quick search on eBay and found one seller that's good a pretty good price here. At the price listed here, each blade would cost less than getting a 15-pack of the regular ones.

Hey, Lucas, thanks for the link! I went ahead and bought the pack. Never tried these blue blades before so I'm looking forward to them.

Rob

Swann-Morton blades for me, I've tried various others but these are the best, buy them in boxes.

Got a few of their new Cygnetic blades which are rather nice, but for you detail fans, take a look at their micro-surgery blades;

http://www.swann-morton.com/product_range/5.php

Or for those hard to reach places, Myringotomy blades!

http://www.swann-morton.com/product/79.php

Can't beat surgical stuff for sharpness IMHO

For #11s, I've never noticed enough difference. I do know the blade handle material Excel uses feels cheaper. I almost exclusively now use Olfa or Tamiya design knife blades, as the shape seems to work better than the long #11.

Swann-Morton blades for me, I've tried various others but these are the best, buy them in boxes.

Likewise, and, with a flat handle, it doesn't roll off the table, and puncture your.......pomposity.

Edgar

From what I understand:

Excel blades are more durable/longer lasting but don't have as good a point as X-Acto.

X-Acto has a really nice point but it breaks off if you look at it wrong.

What about Stainless Steel vs. Carbon Steel?

Is there any advantage to paying more and using Stainless other than it won't rust (which doesn't matter to me anyways)?

Hey Chris! :wave:

I stopped using X-acto and Excel blades a long time ago, because the tips were too fragile and break off. It's kind of a waste when the rest of the blade was still useable. I can't comment on stainless steel blades (never tried them), but I did try Carbon scalpel blades and haven't looked back. They're more durable and seem to stay sharp longer than X-acto or Excel. The tips don't break as easy and I haven't had any rusting issues either. Quite honestly, they look like they're made to higher standards and are even packaged seperately. I bought a pack of 25 from Squardon a few years ago and I still got a good supply left. Here's a link

HTH?

:cheers:

Thanks for the link to those. I may have to give them a try. They charge an arm and a leg round here for blades and I can save alot of $$ buying these online.

Sean

Just a tip. If you decide to use the Swann-Morton blades, I would use thier surgical grade products instead of the hobby grade. Also, they are much cheaper if you buy the non-sterile blades. I my opinion, they are the only why to go.

Tried both And i like Excel better although i buy 100blade no name bulk pack witch come out better but i always keep a couple excel around for Foiling.

As for handle i have 2 Excel and 1 X-acto and i HATE the x-acto one it dosent hold the blades as hard and to polished finish is slippery

X-acto at one time made their own blades, then opted to outsource them from China. Due to the poor quality of those blades which hurt X-acto's reputation, they bounced around with different suppliers and are now getting their blades produced on spec from Excel.

I prefer Excel because they are good blades and available through most craft, hardware and hobby stores and are affordable. Their knife handles also IMO do the best at holding the blade tight and secure, never coming loose. The one pictured also doesn't roll across the bench when you set it down.

redknifeblades1.jpg

Thanks for the link to those. I may have to give them a try. They charge an arm and a leg round here for blades and I can save alot of $$ buying these online.

Sean

Hey Sean,

That link Lucas provided is a great find. I ordered as soon as I saw it and the blades shipped just a couple of hours after I placed the order. Haven't received them yet but should be here today or tomorrow. Looking forward to them as well.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

I think I have a bulk pack of these now:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDS77&P=ML

They have been holding up well on my current 1/4 scale rc build and they have been cutting and triming plastic projects well too. Don't think I've snapped a tip off yet.

T

I have both X-acto and Excel blades but I'm still burning though the surgical scalpel blades I got from the tec-reps from Grumman back in 1987. I got two boxes of 10 gross from the Grumman trailers when they closed up shop after the F-14B and test bench mods. Haven't bought a blade since. The surgical blades I have put both X-acto and Excel blades to shame. They don't have as fine of a tip as X-acto but they last and stay sharper much longer, and the tips hardly ever break off.

I have both X-acto and Excel blades but I'm still burning though the surgical scalpel blades I got from the tec-reps from Grumman back in 1987. I got two boxes of 10 gross from the Grumman trailers when they closed up shop after the F-14B and test bench mods. Haven't bought a blade since. The surgical blades I have put both X-acto and Excel blades to shame. They don't have as fine of a tip as X-acto but they last and stay sharper much longer, and the tips hardly ever break off.

Have you had a chance to compare the quality of the ones you have to other commercially available ones? I.E., are they standard surgical grade scalpels?

Otherwise, I'd think we'd need a hot tub time machine to get the deal you got!

Have you had a chance to compare the quality of the ones you have to other commercially available ones? I.E., are they standard surgical grade scalpels?

Otherwise, I'd think we'd need a hot tub time machine to get the deal you got!

Yeah I got A LOT of stuff from that little acquisition, I was involved with the test bench modifications on the F-14B. Grumman just took the paper files and publications and left all the materieal there, just walked away.

The blades I have last a very long time and are actually very hard to break the actual tip, they usually split where the handle attaches through the hole in the blade. They last about 3 times longer than an X-acto blade, and as far as I know they are standard scalpel blades. They come in a foil pack for putting them in an autoclave to sterilize them. I'm finally getting near the end of them though, it's only taken 16 yrs.

Tip for #11 tips. Yes, they're fragile, but a simple mod will make them a lot more robust. Grind or sand the tip on an angle, as below. It alters the angle enough to make the blade a lot stronger, and less prone to breakage.

xactomod.jpg

Bonus tip: since you're basically grinding the tip of the blade off, you can also do this *after* the tip has snapped on an un-modded blade, effectively doubling the usability of each blade.

Edited by MoFo