X-Acto vs. Excel  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which #11 blades do you prefer?

Thanks for all the mixed feedback guys :cheers:

I went ahead and grabbed a 100 box of the X-Acto blue blades and will give them a try.

I did a quick search on eBay and found one seller that's good a pretty good price here.
Thanks Lucas!

I'm also going to grab a 5 pack of the Excel to see how I like them.

I do have a few surgical blades that I keep hidden away for special occasions

Tip for #11 tips. Yes, they're fragile, but a simple mod will make them a lot more robust. Grind or sand the tip on an angle, as below. It alters the angle enough to make the blade a lot stronger, and less prone to breakage.

Bonus tip: since you're basically grinding the tip of the blade off, you can also do this *after* the tip has snapped on an un-modded blade, effectively doubling the usability of each blade.

GREAT tip tips MoFo! Thanks!!!

:cheers:

What are you guys doing to snap off the tips all the time? Use the base of the blade for hard cuts. I scored old 1970's Xacto blades in bulk. I'm set for a little while. I liked Testors blue ones a bit more, but they were too pricey.

• 9 years later...

Please Please Please someone tell me where I can get a stainless steel (or ceramic, etc) "Exacto style" razor saw. Again the little 3/4" x 4" saw blade (not the little scalpel blades). I need blade that will not rust.  I'm a veterinarian and I use these for minor orthopaedic surgeries (like knee repair), and so obviously must be sterilized - the steam rusts the exacto and makes it challenging to clean during the procedure prior to use. Please point me to a brand that makes a non-rusing product! Thanks dogtorbill