Gents hi

I've been commissioned by the VP-45 Association to complete a P-3c Orion painting, in the USN hi viz scheme, so will be getting hold of the kit ( which I believe is the same regardless of boxing), to use as a guide for the painting.

How is the kit for accuracy and does it have any well known issues ?

As a cheeky extra if any one wants to donate a kit, I'll provide them with a print of the completed painting ( when done) in return

Thanks

Pete

Edited by Pete Wenman

Overall it's an excellent kit. Shape-wise it's pretty much spot-on. The over wing emergency escape hatch and its window are in the wrong place on the RH side - the whole thing sits too low. Check photos of white over grey P-3s and how the color demarcation line falls across that area vs. the kit and you can see the difference (and it is noticeable). The kit has shallow wheel wells with no detail whatever in them. The plastic represents a 1970s electronics fit, which has changed drastically over the years, so you'll have a little fiddling to do to make an up to date bird.

The kit may be unbuildable though - it has (GASP!) raised panel lines :)

J

Jennings...In this case it is one of the few cases where raised panel lines are an asset as the real plane has filler down all the fuselage seams such that they really are raised...people that rescribe this kit do a lotta work to actually make the kit inaccurate....

Jennings...In this case it is one of the few cases where raised panel lines are an asset as the real plane has filler down all the fuselage seams such that they really are raised...people that rescribe this kit do a lotta work to actually make the kit inaccurate....

you've piqued my interest... do you have photos to show this?

Pete,

I wrote the Squadron/Signal book with Rick Burgess and I did a profile of a early VP-45 P-3. Have the old logo in Illustrator and everything. I do not like the later "Angry Pelican". I like the old one much better.

Rich

Pete,

I wrote the Squadron/Signal book with Rick Burgess and I did a profile of a early VP-45 P-3. Have the old logo in Illustrator and everything. I do not like the later "Angry Pelican". I like the old one much better.

Rich

Hey Rich

That sounds like a very useful Illustrator file, any chance you can share ;-)

Looking forward to catching up with you next month, as well as catching the P3 at the museum. See you then

Jennings thanks for the info sounds like the kit will be a good point of reference for the painting

Pete