• 1 month later...

Thank you all. After a break, I am back to working on this. I have to say it has given me more pain than pleasure, and I am planning to wrap this up as soon as I can. The endless masking is what is painful. Anyway, I have a few more touchups to do. Since the break, I have decided to convert this to a "what-if," and so I will be using the kit decals for fun.

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5016.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

Beautiful work! I only have one thing, the engine exhaust that you have are not the correct ones for the F-15K. The Koreans use the General Electric F110-GE-129. The F110 is the same engine on the F-14D. You can get a set from the Hasegawa F-14D kit or the Monogram F-14D kit as well. Hope this helps.

Great work on all of that painting ... Just beautiful ... :thumbsup:

Beautiful work! I only have one thing, the engine exhaust that you have are not the correct ones for the F-15K. The Koreans use the General Electric F110-GE-129. The F110 is the same engine on the F-14D. You can get a set from the Hasegawa F-14D kit or the Monogram F-14D kit as well. Hope this helps.

The Koreans are switching over to the F100-PW-229s for their F-15Ks ...

The second batch of Slam Eagles are all being delivered with the new engines and the earlier F-15Ks will be retrofitted with them as well ...

Gregg

Great work on all of that painting ... Just beautiful ... :thumbsup:

The Koreans are switching over to the F100-PW-229s for their F-15Ks ...

The second batch of Slam Eagles are all being delivered with the new engines and the earlier F-15Ks will be retrofitted with them as well ...

Gregg

Dear Gregg,

I had no idea thank you for the info!

Dear Gregg,

I had no idea thank you for the info!

:salute:

If you still want to build a current F110 powered Eagle, there is Singapore's F-15SG as well as Saudi Arabia's F-15S which is going to switch to GE power as well ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I too read somewhere that some of the F-15K's feature PW engines. The pic in the first page I think has those engines as well.

That said, this build has since evolved into a 'what if' anyway. Here are some pictures after a gloss coat and the kit decals:

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5032.JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

The gloss coat was a little too thick at places (my fault) and it formed small droplets. After it dries, I plan to sand those down. Hope I don't mess that up.

Incidentally, this might be the right time for a question. I always have problems with the paint drying dusty between the engine intakes and the fuselage:

IMG_5036.JPG

This happens a lot with F-4, F-15, F-18 etc. where there is a gap between the parts. I think this is due to turbulence caused from the airbrush. Is there a way to prevent this in the first place, or fix it later? Light sanding comes to mind but I am looking for something perhaps a little non-trivial. I played with airbrush pressure as a parameter, but it did not help much.

Thanks for stopping by!

• 2 weeks later...

This happens a lot with F-4, F-15, F-18 etc. where there is a gap between the parts. I think this is due to turbulence caused from the airbrush. Is there a way to prevent this in the first place, or fix it later? Light sanding comes to mind but I am looking for something perhaps a little non-trivial. I played with airbrush pressure as a parameter, but it did not help much.

Thanks for stopping by!

I get that too, sometimes I can get rid of it by cleaning it with a toothbrush and just soap and water. I try to shoot at a lower pressure to avoid it and I try to speed up my painting in wing root areas. I think I noted Brett Green has the same problem when I was reading one of his articles last week, the two of us use the same brush (Aztec).

• 1 month later...