Is there a "Reasonable Stash"?

I have a move coming up and there just isn't room for extra boxes. Like a lot of us I'm coming to grips with what is a "reasonable stash"?

How many kits? Does aftermarket count? Should I pick a solid number and then eliminate the rest? How do you choose which kits to keep?

Thoughts??

If the stash bugs you...then it might be too big. For me as long as I grin everytime I look at my stash....then it is a good thing.....but if I feel negative emotions each time I look at it....then that would mean I'd have to reduce my stash.

If you enjoy your stash but your spouse is giving you grief about it.....then that is a whole different issue.

Boxes were tossed, kits bagged and put into plastic storage containers.

As long as Kathy's quilt fabric stash is bigger, my model stash is inarguably reasonable ;)

Haha. True. Considering that the box art is what draws me into trouble (buying). Storage bins are a better idea as far as space.

Still, I'll have to have a sale soon.

- Mike

I'll second what SBARC said. If you look at the stash (or a kit within the stash) and there are questionmarks over your head as to why it's there (or so big), liquidation of those assets is probably the way to go. That's what I'm doing - I'm trimming the stash from impulse buys and things I've lost interest in.

I have a move coming up and there just isn't room for extra boxes. Like a lot of us I'm coming to grips with what is a "reasonable stash"?

How many kits? Does aftermarket count? Should I pick a solid number and then eliminate the rest? How do you choose which kits to keep?

Thoughts??

I can give you my snail mail addy and you could send your excess stuff to me?

Didn't work eh?

Oh well..

What is a big stash.. some say 10 kits, I have around 250 and am trying to downsize......I know of people that have 500 plus, so it bois down to what you want to take with you and REALLY want to build. If that is a stash of 100 kits, so be it. If you like 200 kits better.. power to you.

You'll get a great many opinions here....

just my 2 eurocents though.

Harald

My stash 'comfort' level is 30 (have 25 currently). More than that and I start to feel guilty, especially having a wife who is extremely frugal and rarely buys anything for herself. I had many more kits than what I have now a few years back but I realized most of them became 'stale' so off they went. I sold a couple but the majority of them were traded for things I wanted (modern jets) so it worked out.

And yes, Steve has it right, when you look at the stash and negative thoughts start to cross your mind is time to reduce.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

My rules for stash size:

As many as I want without impacting more important budget considerations.

I've got about 500 I think, but most of them weren't bought at retail prices - a lot of show raffle, vendor and hobby shop discounted items. They're also cataloged with the price I paid for them so if I kick off before the wife does she'll have a general idea of how much they're worth and not get more ripped off than she's willing to.

There are more than I can build in one lifetime but it's almost as much fun looking at them and scheming build ideas as it is building. It gives me something to do while a coat of paint is drying.

My stash is between 300 and 500, I haven't counted them in a while.

The last time I felt the need to slim it down some, I took the really collectables to a local toy/antique shop and swapped 4 kits for one Mobius Seaview.

The rest of the no longer wanted kits along with some glue and water based paints went off to the troops, I think the last time it was Afganistan.

The Army Sgt on the recieving end said the 23 kits were gone in 6 hours! I feel a whole lot better knowing some tired trooper in Whaintheheckistan is having a bit of fun with my left overs vs. me working at making a couple of bucks (if I'm lucky) trying to sell them here or on ebay.

MTC YMMV

Tom

Exact numbers are not important, expecially since that would vary considerably from one modeler to the next. It boils down to whatever you are comfortable with having and whatever SWMBO is comfortable with you having. Budget and space considerations also get into the equation. I have more than I will ever build, but I am not yet ready to get rid of any of them, as I keep changing my mind as to which one I want to build next.

Darwin

As for what is reasonable, it depends on your age and rate of completion. Take the number of models you build in a year and mulitply it by the years of building you have left and that is the reasonable number for your stash.

I personally buy a model, build it and as I get to the finishing stages, I decide what to do next and buy it.

Warwick

I have never had much of a stash, for the simple reason that I can't justify spending more on my hobby than necessary, if that means buying one kit and seeing it through to completion before choosing another, then so be it. I just don't have the disposable income to spend on more than one or two kits at a time and even where I do, I have other priorities for the cash which seem to me more important.

If the stash bugs you...then it might be too big. For me as long as I grin everytime I look at my stash....then it is a good thing.....but if I feel negative emotions each time I look at it....then that would mean I'd have to reduce my stash.

If you enjoy your stash but your spouse is giving you grief about it.....then that is a whole different issue.

Steve is right... if you ask, it isn't reasonable :whistle:

I'll second what SBARC said. If you look at the stash (or a kit within the stash) and there are question marks over your head as to why it's there (or so big), liquidation of those assets is probably the way to go. That's what I'm doing - I'm trimming the stash from impulse buys and things I've lost interest in.

That's what I do, every 4-6 months I look it over and see if there's anything I've lost interest in and get rid of it, normally I try to trade what I don't want for what I do want.

Plus I bought a lot of Hasegawa kits before the recent round of price increases, I try to hang onto those since buying the new issue will cost me $15 or more to replace them.

Ken

Plus I bought a lot of Hasegawa kits before the recent round of price increases, I try to hang onto those since buying the new issue will cost me $15 or more to replace them.

Ken

That's what's been happening to me...Returned to the aviation side of things late last year after some years concentrating solely on WWII vehicles and I'm now trying to catch up on some modern stuff I always wanted. It has been an expensive journey to say the least.

Rob