F/A-18F Superhornet 1/48, VFA-103

I agree, that my model is weathered maybe too mutch....
I don't think so. I love a dirty bird!

My one critique would be that the spine seems a little too clean compared to the surrounding areas.

I do realize that the dirty top surfaces are from maintenance and such and the spine is more of a 'no step' area but the contrast between the dirty and clean is a bit too stark in my eye. Perhaps just a touch from dirty hands here and there might be enough.

Otherwise,,, Absolutely magnificent craftsmanship!

You are a true master of the whole 'paint thing' (not to mention construction as well)... :worship:

Please post more pictures once you have the finished display base!

:cheers:

+10

I'm all for being positive and making comments in a constructive way, but when I post something in the critique corner it's because I'm seeking criticism in order to improve my technique.

Hi, Firstly I have to appoliges, Yes you are completely correct, I thought that i was in the DISPLAY not in critique corner. So I am very sorry for affending anyone one who was affended by my comments. I was on my 3rd

class of wine at the same time as typing. So that was not good to drink and type at the same time. I am passionate about his work and I thought it was nitt picking at fantastic work. So again I am sorry for affending anyone who has taken affence.

Kind Regards \

EMTOM

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very nice representation although there are a couple things that I noticed that need correction if not on this one at least on the next...

1. The windscreen has to be faired in! It's a must for any aircraft... It appears it was placed on the model after it was painted; then weathered.

2. Looks like the refueling door has never been opened! I think a knife blade through the decal, then the wash would have made this look much better, along with a little more weathering around it.

The green light on the tail is a minor repair...

Great job though on this F/A-18F!!!!

Cheers

Larry McCarley

I find your model really well built and well painted.

The only thing I dislike is the color choice for the tank. Too dark, maybe too green, even though you're clearly inspired by the photos posted.

Personally spray a thin coat of light gray (FS 36375) to dampen that contrast.

However, not detract from your job well done!

I really like how you works!

Hello

Girolamo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Great work man :cheers:/> I admit that I've been using yer WIP as a reference for my Super Hornet build... so I thought I'd bring this one back to the top, in case someone missed it :thumbsup:/> I've been staring at the paint work, scratching my head, wondering how the heck did he do that??? :unsure:/>

/Jesse

Many many thanks guys! This is old history :-D

Yes, some things aren´t right or not perfect... but It´s only model... For me is important, that ever next model is little bit better that previous...

If is progrees like this functional, it´s good :-))) and about this is kit-hobby :-)

Nice work! Excellent weathering.

1) Duh! I knew something was wrong with that light, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion, mostly because I made a blue navigation light on my last Tomcat which should have been green.

2) I think the soot from cannon fire would look really cool, but make it subtle. Most overdo this too dark.

3) Sometimes close-up photography creates longer shadows making bumps seem larger than they really are. You are probably right.

I'm really looking forward to your Tomcat- and anything else you build!

About the cannon exhaust staining...the gun gasses are purged from the bottom of the nose. They come out of those vents that are in front of the nose wheel well. The area behind the muzzle doesn't really get stained. This is to prevent the pilot's vision from being obscured.

• 2 weeks later...

Honda was placed on the earth by model Gods.

The one critique I have is if I were running the servicing line that day I would have sent the guy back out that bagged up the aircraft put the exhaust can covers on too. You don't bag up half an aircraft. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Honza,

The "Critique" corner is a section of this forum I hardly ever visit but today I'm glad I did. Your Hornet is outstanding.....I especially admire your painting/weathering, it definitely looks realistic. I'm curious as to whether you used the Salt Weathering Technique on this build or not? Although I've never used the SW technique, I've seen some pretty convincing results with it when trying to achieve a worn Navy TPS scheme. The only dislike for my personal taste regarding that technique is sometimes some modelers leave too much of a demarcation where the salt crystals used to be and I feel the end result should be more of blotchy but blended look. A modeler by the name of Simone seems to get TPS results that really appeal to my eye as well as do your results...........hence my curiosity. Regardless of what painting technique you used, I really like the end result. Also, could you share your In-progress link for this build, would really like to read up on it.

Thanks

Nice work! Excellent weathering.

About the cannon exhaust staining...the gun gasses are purged from the bottom of the nose. They come out of those vents that are in front of the nose wheel well. The area behind the muzzle doesn't really get stained. This is to prevent the pilot's vision from being obscured.

This is not entirely true. Those areas do get stained during gun shoots, because the projectile leaves the barrels up top, hence the powder and particles are behind it. You are correct, the gasses do escape from the bottom, thanks to a purge door that is spring opened during firing, and closed after trigger release to allow ambient air to circulate the gasses out. This has nothing to do with enhancing pilot vision, near as much as it has to do with keeping the nose of the aircraft attached to the rest of the structure. Gun gas in high volume is volatile, and can lead to a bad day at the office if not ventilated. I don't know if there's any public videos that show gun shoots from the HUD cam on a super hornet on youtube, but if so, watch them. I've personally watched ready room footage after gun shoots and although it's a bit blurry due to the vibration, you can clearly see residue and exhaust leaving the barrels on top, so this is accurate. As well as ordnance personnel who remove and install the blast shield having dirty hands / gloves and dirtying up the surrounding areas.