Hobbytown in Strongsville, Ohio

Hello Anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio Area,

I was at Hobbytown in Strongsville restocking on some supplies and noticed that their airplane kit stock was very sparse (used to be about 100-150 kits in inventory but today seemed like 20)and the paint and supply shelves were rather bare. I asked the owner's wife about it and she said it was "tough times." I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the future of this particular Hobbytown (since that's my main supply shop)? I hope they aren't planning on shutting down!

Craig

Craig,

I live in Strongsville and go to that Hobbytown regularly. I noticed too that the stock is reduced over what they used to carry and that they are offering sales on kits in order to move stock. I asked the same question and was also told that things are tough for them. They used to rent the upstairs floor too and had enough stock of RC aircraft and cars to fill that level. Now they have everything on the main floor. What the future holds I am not sure but I am also concerned about their longevity. They have been good supporters of our local modeling club too.

Tom

I live in Manassas Virginia and I was at the Hobbytown USA, looking at some of their armor and to so see if they had any good US Navy kits but the walls where also soo thin in kits. I asked the kid behind the counter and he stated that the owner had no desired to restock the models since that is not his main stream. But I did notice that they are not carrying anymore magazines for RC or models. So I'm wondering if they are slowly going to pulling out. I hope not cause the other hobby shop is just too far of drive and he charges WAY TOO MUCH for anything. Who knows.

Stanton

Interesting...

I've been noticing that the Hobbytown in Gainesville,Florida has had a dwindling supply of kits. In fact, last time I was there, there were only 5 kits. Used to have two rows of plastic, everything from snap-tites to the latest Hasegawa stuff.

Sooo...I finally got around to emailing the store this week and asked if they were getting out of the plastic model business...got a one-word answer: "no"

I'm not so sure I believe it, but we'll see.

Gainesville is about a 45 minute drive for me. If they do go out of the model business, the next closest hobby store is more than an hour away. Guess it's back to internet shopping for me!

-Mike

I noticed that a while ago, I was in there a few months ago and they didnt have a whole lot. The owners wife asked if there was anything I was looking for, I commented about how they had a ton of armored kits on sale but not the one I wanted, she gave me the sale price on the spot! I didnt ask for it but she gave it.

There are a few other decent hobby shops in the somewhat nearby area. The hobby house on state rd in north royalton, decent stock on hand but if you need something, he'll get it for you at a good price.

Family hobby in medina, pretty much the same thing there, prices can run a bit higher though.

Wings hobby in lakewood on detroit ave. bigger selection of stock. Average prices, I dont care for the owner though.

TomG, modeling club local? I might be interseted.

Hey Craig, I asked her if they were getting out of the scale model kit business when I saw how sparse the shelves have been lately and she said no, theey're not getting out of it, but that the economy was just bad. I've got a $5 off coupon that expires soon. I think I'll go down there and use it today.

Kevin

The HT in Cross Lanes WV is the same way, their kit section went from an aisle and half to one aisle to a couple dozen over the course of a year or so, it's obvious that the owner likes R/C, Warhammer, Heroclicks, fad du jour, etc.

Course this is the same place that put price stickers on kits showing where their price was higher than MSRP, great way to get to people to buy right there.

Ken

I'm in Indy, I'm not trying to sound glib or anything but we have two locations here. One on the North and South sides of town, I have been in both in the last month and our locations are both well stocked in all departments. I think it's a franchise and each location has an individual owner, both locations here do carry some different things. The Northside seems to be heavy on trains, toys and RC than the Southside. The Southside has a smaller space but is much better organized. My point is, each franchisee probably picks their own stock and what to re-order. They must not be making much money on plastic kits, their majority market must be in to other merchandise. The logic being, why re-order what doesn't make much money.

I noticed that a while ago, I was in there a few months ago and they didnt have a whole lot. The owners wife asked if there was anything I was looking for, I commented about how they had a ton of armored kits on sale but not the one I wanted, she gave me the sale price on the spot! I didnt ask for it but she gave it.

There are a few other decent hobby shops in the somewhat nearby area. The hobby house on state rd in north royalton, decent stock on hand but if you need something, he'll get it for you at a good price.

Family hobby in medina, pretty much the same thing there, prices can run a bit higher though.

Wings hobby in lakewood on detroit ave. bigger selection of stock. Average prices, I dont care for the owner though.

TomG, modeling club local? I might be interseted.

B-17 guy,

PM sent to you with info on our local model club. I will be dropping off hard copies of our club newsletter at Hobbytown Strongsville this evening.

Tom