Thinning Gunze Acrylics

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but throw my usual 2 cents in anyway. With regard to air pressure while spraying the paints mentioned here, I don't think it matters all that much. Due to a technical fault, my compressor doesn't allow me go below about 20 PSI, so I never spray below that, and I rarely have any serious issues. It'd be nice to be able to dial it down to experiment with lower pressures, but the higher pressures do in fact help the paint atomise better.

With regard to the clear coats, I use the exact same settings, but mostly because I'm pretty limited to them. I do stay away from Gunze's clear flat these days though, because as the paint gets old, the flatting agent tends to come out of suspension, and if you don't stir the airport security out of it, you'll get a horrible powdery look to your finish.

Kev

You can use 2 parts varnish and 1 part thinner, but you'd have to use higher pressure, most likely around 15Psi (using gravity-fed airbrush). Or, equal part varnish and thinner at lower Psi (10-12). For 1st option, 1 layer might be enough, but 2nd option would require multiple layers. Personally, I've been using the 2nd option.

Mike C and Big Kev,

Thanks for your replies guys. They're very helpful.

With regard to the clear coats, I use the exact same settings, but mostly because I'm pretty limited to them. I do stay away from Gunze's clear flat these days though, because as the paint gets old, the flatting agent tends to come out of suspension, and if you don't stir the airport security out of it, you'll get a horrible powdery look to your finish.

Kev

Personally, I haven't had any issues with Gunze's Flat Clear. What's the alternative for flat clear though? Mixing Tamiya/Gunze flat base with gloss clear is the same as using Gunze's flat clear anyway.