New format for Mobile ARC

The new forum layout seems to automatically detect mobile browser, and then give a nearly uselessly watered down version of the forum to browse. This was fine 7 years ago when the average smart phone user had a crappy browser and tiny screen, but today it is a bit frustrating to have a hi end mobile smartphone get the lame version of the forums.

Is there any way to turn that feature off, or restore the functionality of the way the old forums displayed in mobile browsers? Or set up a seperate address for those mobile browsers who prefer the watered down version?

Thanks!

Steve,

There *should* be a way to be able to do the mobile version at something like "mobile.arcforums.com/..." to go to the mobile version. Check with your provider. I'm playing with doing just that on the Vagabond website. Soon, you'll be able to order decals conveniently on the go. Should help at shows when you find that deal on a kit and need decals.

Steve,

There *should* be a way to be able to do the mobile version at something like "mobile.arcforums.com/..." to go to the mobile version. Check with your provider. I'm playing with doing just that on the Vagabond website. Soon, you'll be able to order decals conveniently on the go. Should help at shows when you find that deal on a kit and need decals.

At this point I'm not sure how to set that up.

I was pondering setting up a new member group with the mobile app disabled.

The mobile app can be disabled across thwe whole forum, but I'm not considering that option.

I prefer the mobil app for readability and wouldn't want to lose it. The only thing that I don't like is that the reply options are limited, but that's not enough to make me want to drop the mobile format. For the record, I do have a high end modern smartphone.

Yup....I'm not about to disable it.

I don't have a mobile device so I'm flying blind here.

Question:

Is there the words "Full Version" at the bottom of the moble screen somewhere?

Does clicking this "Full Version" link give you the full version of the forums?

It appears the program does not let me turn off this function for certain user groups.

Ok.....I've checked.....there is no way to disable this feature for some ysers and not others.

There is also no way to set up a separate member group and disable this feature for them.

I do not have any idea how to set up an alternate mirror forum that doesn't have this feature enabled and have the regular forum for the members that want this feature enabled.

At this time I see no solution to this issue I'm sorry to say.

Ok, just throwing this out--there's no WAP or .mobi typ of tag you put on it? That's really a bummer. The mobile format is hard to navigate and very limited in what you can do--you can't subscribe to a topic without replying, there's no access to the user control panel, etc.

I did check with another mobile browser, and it displays fine. But it seems the native browsers on the eye-phony and droids default to the mobile view.

For those of you with an i-Phone, IPS actually offer a native app for browsing IPB forums. It interacts with the mobile version of the site though, so it may not offer any real advantages for many of you.

Kev

Wait--we can say I am a spammer....please report this post. now?! :jaw-dropping:

Nevermind, still can't say eye-phone... <_<

BTW, I was unable to post from my droid on the mobile version...I'll try again later, may have been a glitch.

Edited by MarkW

Wait--we can say I am a spammer....please report this post. now?! :jaw-dropping:

Nevermind, still can't say eye-phone... <_<

BTW, I was unable to post from my droid on the mobile version...I'll try again later, may have been a glitch.

Sorry....spammers love to pimp their various phones on ARC and the eye-phone was added to the word filters. Although...since I did that, the spammers pimping phones don't come to ARC very often.....so it seems to work.

• 4 months later...